Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Carmax advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 11:41 AM
garretb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll add my additional 2 cents and say that I did in fact buy my 08 G37s 6mt from Carmax for $29k with 21,014 on the odometer and I've had no problems with it. Unfortunately I did not think to go to the Infiniti dealership to check out pre-owned (mostly because I was originally looking to get a Z4 hardtop and fell into the G37 instead), but I can't say that my Carmax experience has been bad.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Kirkules

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another $.02 - my stepdaughter has bought 2 Nissans from Carmax. The cars were good. Any defects she discovered were quickly repaired & the whole experience was pleasant, fast & easy. You do seem to pay a little more, but some people feel the ease of the experience and lack of negotiation makes it worth the cost. Having a $29,000 investment checked out for $100 at your regular mechanic's would always be a good move as well.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:31 PM
cribbsjy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used to work at a Carmax, and I can vouche that they definitely DO perform the 150 point inspection that they claim. Whoever says otherwise here is talking out of their *ss. If they accidentally sell you a lemon (I say accidentally, because they really do try to avoid doing so), then you can return the car NO QUESTIONS ASKED within a week or two.

If you are looking for a no haggling, quick car buying experience, then Carmax is a great place to go. Sure, you will pay a little more than you would if you haggled with a dealership, but some car buyers don't like to haggle.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:40 PM
RaizinCayne

Last time i checked Carmax has no haggle prices. Meaning whatever they say the price is, then thats it. They will not negotiate. Pretty stupid if you ask me, especially since they price their cars on the higher side.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Exigent

What if you can buy a new 2011 g37s for about $30k?
Old 07-07-2011, 03:48 PM
PixelBoy21

Originally Posted by Exigent
then you buy a new one
Old 07-07-2011, 03:51 PM
garretb

Then you've found a MUCH better deal than anything I've seen around here!
Old 07-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Exigent

@ $37k with a trade in theres no reason you cant get it for $30k or less.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Exigent

I got my 2011 G37x for 30k...its the $37k base model and all I traded in was my 1999 monte carlo for $3k...

Dealers can go lower than invoice.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:02 PM
garretb

I didn't have a trade-in when I bought my car, given my previous car was totaled. So no love there. But that's neither here nor there, really. Bottom line is that I'm sure if I'd have hunted around I most likely could have gotten a better deal on a newer car, but honestly I'm very happy with my car and I don't feel gypped on the price that I paid. But that's just me.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:03 PM
blackvr4tt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cribbsjy
I used to work at a Carmax, and I can vouche that they definitely DO perform the 150 point inspection that they claim. Whoever says otherwise here is talking out of their *ss. If they accidentally sell you a lemon (I say accidentally, because they really do try to avoid doing so), then you can return the car NO QUESTIONS ASKED within a week or two.

If you are looking for a no haggling, quick car buying experience, then Carmax is a great place to go. Sure, you will pay a little more than you would if you haggled with a dealership, but some car buyers don't like to haggle.
I agree with this statement as I had 2 friends who worked at CarMax. I would avoid the 'stealerships' as much as possible since they will try to over charge you for everything.
Another good point about CarMax is the salespeople are paid the same commission for every car, unlike other dealers. So CarMax salespeople are motivated to get the best car for you, not the one that will pay them the most.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:52 AM
DjFromVA

Originally Posted by Fentress24
First off I want to say hey. I went from an 05 SRT to an 09 G37 10 months ago. Not going to lie I doo miss the raw, loud, aggressive SRT sometimes, but don't regret buying the G for a second. You will absolutely love it. Just a different style of car all together, just wish I could have kept both and big turbo'ed the SRT.

Second, I bought mine from an Infiniti dealer. They did have me go to Carmax for a trade in appraisal because they gave me a higher trade in value than the Infiniti dealer, but the dealer said they would match carmax.

When I was looking carmax prices always seemed to be a little on the high end. I did look at carmax but couldnt find the exact car I wanted in my price range. I would say keep your options open dont limit yourself to just a carmax car.

Infiniti CPO>Carmax
i mean im not just gonna check out carmax im gonna shop around, but yea i kno im gonna miss the pshhhhh lol (bov) haha

If i can do that i deff will but i doubt it lol

Originally Posted by blackvr4tt
I agree with this statement as I had 2 friends who worked at CarMax. I would avoid the 'stealerships' as much as possible since they will try to over charge you for everything.
Another good point about CarMax is the salespeople are paid the same commission for every car, unlike other dealers. So CarMax salespeople are motivated to get the best car for you, not the one that will pay them the most.
deff very good to kno dude!

ok here another question for all yall .i plan on getting deployed at the end of the year and i have 4500 left to pay of on my srt-4, i plan on getting the g37 when i get back, now do u think i should pay the car off while im over there or not worry about it sense im just gonna trade it in when i get back?

BTW thanks everyone for the advice so far
Old 07-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Exigent

What is the srt-4 worth? If possible just get rid of it and save up what you can for a down payment for your g37. When negotiating for a car dont mention your down payment until they come down by a substantial amount. Go to a new car dealership and tell them with a straight face that you're shopping around and your target is $30k (before down payment) if they come down to $32k-$33k then inform them of your down payment and ask to see the new monthly payments.

Also then tell them that most other manufacturers offer up to a $1000 military discount. If you still have them tell them to do that fabric/leather spray and paint protector for free, if you're good you can get a tint...I got the tint, but asked them to reduce the car price another $500 instead since thats what the tint costs...good luck
Old 07-08-2011, 09:39 AM
DjFromVA

What is the srt-4 worth? If possible just get rid of it and save up what you can for a down payment for your g37. When negotiating for a car dont mention your down payment until they come down by a substantial amount. Go to a new car dealership and tell them with a straight face that you're shopping around and your target is $30k (before down payment) if they come down to $32k-$33k then inform them of your down payment and ask to see the new monthly payments.

Also then tell them that most other manufacturers offer up to a $1000 military discount. If you still have them tell them to do that fabric/leather spray and paint protector for free, if you're good you can get a tint...I got the tint, but asked them to reduce the car price another $500 instead since thats what the tint costs...good luck
Well i went to carmax a couple months back and they said they give it 4k, now the car has got some body damage 85k miles on the car and it is an 04 and i looked up the kbb and it was about right.....i think im more surprised at the fact that i can get my car at somewhere else other than carmax, im gonna have like 10-15k of spending mony for the car i just dont want to b bamboosled ?!?! lol u get what im sayin ha
Old 07-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Exigent

I hear ya...I'd dump it now and just start saving up...a new g37 is within your grasp bro...just keep your eye on the prize and dont puss out when it comes to negotiations...

just remember not to mention a down payment up front this is VERY important...let them show you what they can do...make them bring it at least 2-3k under the invoice then drop the down payment bomb on them...they HATE that...if you give them a down payment up front, they'll try to sell you a car at full price but the low monthly payment (thanks to your down payment) will make it seem like you're getting a sweet deal.

Quick Reply: Carmax advice