Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Should I avoid buying previous rental vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 02:33 PM
cpthk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I avoid buying previous rental vehicle?

I am trying a get the car, I check the carfax, it's showing rental vehicle. Should I avoid these vehicle? What's about a personal lease?
Old 06-11-2011, 02:37 PM
MyocyteX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Is it a G37??? I would never buy a rental unless it was dirt cheap and my only plan was to use it in a demolition derby.

I personally would not buy a previously leased car either, but as long as the service records are there it is probably ok.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I have leased a LOT of cars, all corporate... and rented many on vacation and for business. I am familiar with the way the cars *may be* serviced by the lessee.
IMHO:
-Don't buy a rental or corporate lease.
-Don't buy a personal lease car unless you know how it was serviced and better yet who owned it.
There are just too many one owners and well cared for cars to choose from.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:17 PM
cpthk

What some of my friends are saying is that even a personal owned vehicle, the owner does not do the routine maintenance versus the personal lease that dealer requires customers to come back for maintenance. (The maintenance is required on the agreement)

In my area, the newer year ones are all rental car.

Last edited by cpthk; 06-11-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
^ True. However, I've leased cars from... If I recall correctly six different lease companies over the years and none of them would pay for the quality of care I would have given my own car. At lease end, there wasn't a one I wanted to keep. However, sometimes you can get the service records and see if the at least the oil was changed correctly and regularly. A good mechanic can tell quickly by looking at the car also. There are LOTS of excellent resales out there. Just be extra careful IMHO, you have time to look until you find the right one.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:09 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Like other above have stated, I would NEVER buy a rental unless it was an absolute steal. As far as buying an off lease vehicle, if it is CPO then I really wouldn't worry too much.

I have leased about a dozen cars over the past 15 years and I am fanatical about my cars (even when leased). Many of my turned in lease cars are sold by the dealerships that I accepted delivery from are happy to receive them back and sell them on their used vehicle lots with confidence. The post lease buy issue is all about the lessee and how they treat the car.

My Vert lease is up in 11 months and someone is gonna get the chance to own a very nice car that is well cared for, as it has never seen snow, rarely seen rain, has tasteful (bolt on) mods and oil changes every 3k miles and will have less than 20k mikes in 36 months of ownership...
Old 06-12-2011, 06:58 PM
dal1307

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Based on my experience with rentals I would never buy one. One example. I rented a car at DFW airport one summer for a guys trip. I took off for East Texas to make an afternoon tee time (about a 130 mile drive on the interstate). I got about 1/2 way to my destination and started noticing a strong smell of burning oil. I pulled off the road, openend the hood and found that the filler cap had not been replaced after they changed the oil. There was oil blown all over the engine compartment. I whipped into a walmart just up the road, bought a filler cap and a quart of oil. Poured in the oil, it did not register on the dip stick. It took three more quarts of oil jut to get it to register.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Vasher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A tree fell on my last rental car. Had it fixed and dropped it off.

That will not show on carfax.

My father bought a rental truck. He immediately went to swap the engine into another truck and found that the oil had never been properly changed. They just put oil in as needed.

Poor rentals, no owner to love them.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Based on how I drive rental cars when I have them, I say no friggin way. That thing has been abused.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:29 PM
mikejg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ Exactly what I was thinking. If you've ever rented a vehicle, then you would most definitely not buy a previous rental.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:37 AM
Doc750

I've purchased rental cars in the past. A civic that I ran for an additional 150k miles with no issues what so ever. And a Camry that we have put 70k miles on with no issues.

Buying a rental is like buying any other used car, do a thorough inspection or have it looked at by a mechanic you trust.

Every time I rent a car I treat it pretty good, and I'm sure the majority of other people do as well, and the reason why is pretty simple .... I don't want to be responsible for damages when I turn it back in.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:09 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Just Monday I was meeting an Engineer at a communication site in the mountains of Utah. I was floored when he showed up in a Mustang. He told me, "it's a rental who cares?". Years and years back I took a camero up a mountain in AZ. When I got it back it was dumping gas out of the hole I had put in the tank. These are just a couple of reasons.

A lease is different than a rental. If indeed it was a rental I would never touch it at any price. Oh and I really don't care if someone had bought one and had good luck, just knowing the way they are treated I would not touch one!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:38 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
My G was an off lease vehicle and I love it. The owner took pretty good care of it. There are just a couple of cosmetic scratches on the shift ****, probably from a ring he was wearing, and belt marks in the leather, other wise according to the service records he took great care of the car. I bought mine from an Infiniti dealer so I was able to get a print out of all of the service records which included the previous owner coming in to get the battery replaced in the key fob. If the service records weren't so detailed I probably wouldn't have bought the car.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:02 PM
g37flamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OH just think how you would drive a rental car and you wouldn't even think about buying such car any way my car was a corporate car but was sold for a low price and knowing that the car was owned buy a lawyer it helped me a little bit to choose it for that price. drove it for a year and placed around 10,000 miles on it best car i have ever had.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:42 AM
brandzimm

I purchased a Honda after a someone turned it in after a 3 year lease and I owned the car for 7 years without a single issue. The car ran perfectly and just sold it with 160k miles on it for my G37 that I'm picking up saturday. I had a great experience but I'm sure thats not the case for all leased cars.

Quick Reply: Should I avoid buying previous rental vehicle?