Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Looking into buying a G37S, anyone have experience with IPL?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:03 PM
nopistons93

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking into buying a G37S, anyone have experience with IPL?

Hey guys,

Little background on myself, I'm a graduate student at Clemson University studying nuclear environmental engineering. I'm currently applying for an active duty job with the navy as a nuclear propulsion officer. If I get this job, I will be making enough income to feasibly purchase a G37S finally . My big question is, should I fork up for a 2011 IPL coupe or should I just go for a 2009-2010 with <15,000 miles on it? Either way, I want a really low mileage car with plenty of warranty left. I've read all the specs on the IPL, and understand that it's not really much of a HP increase, but I do really love the styling and design changes.

Anyone have any thoughts into this? Is the IPL any better at handling, drivability? Is the transmission less notchy than the earlier models? How is the short-throw shifter on it?

Thanks in advance to my questions. By the time I'm able to buy the car (~September/Octoberish) I should be able to get a used 2011 relatively easily for around 40K I'm thinking. Maybe I'm just

-Joe
Old 02-18-2011, 12:13 PM
ScottyBeGood

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have an IPL that is sitting on my showroom floor. It has the 7AT, which is probably why it hasn't sold yet, that and the fact that it is the winter time and RWD's are just not selling that well at the moment. Is it a sweet car, absolutely. Would I buy it with a 7AT, not a chance. We have the 6MT version at my other store and that one has more of likely chance of being sold, that one is the Graphite Shadow w/Graphite and red stitching seats, which I prefer more than the Monaco Red leather.

So, far I have taken 2 customers out on Test Drives of that car with the 7AT and have seen that car leave the showroom floor more than 10 times only to come back where it just sits. The exhaust system sounds great, the acceleration is on point, that car is just meant to turn heads. Do I think it is worth the price tag, not a chance. You would be better off getting a used CPO and then modding the h ell out of it.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:55 PM
nopistons93

Originally Posted by ScottyBeGood
I have an IPL that is sitting on my showroom floor. It has the 7AT, which is probably why it hasn't sold yet, that and the fact that it is the winter time and RWD's are just not selling that well at the moment. Is it a sweet car, absolutely. Would I buy it with a 7AT, not a chance. We have the 6MT version at my other store and that one has more of likely chance of being sold, that one is the Graphite Shadow w/Graphite and red stitching seats, which I prefer more than the Monaco Red leather.

So, far I have taken 2 customers out on Test Drives of that car with the 7AT and have seen that car leave the showroom floor more than 10 times only to come back where it just sits. The exhaust system sounds great, the acceleration is on point, that car is just meant to turn heads. Do I think it is worth the price tag, not a chance. You would be better off getting a used CPO and then modding the h ell out of it.
Interesting. I would go with a 2010 for sure because I've heard about the upgrades to all the little small things that were wrong with earlier models. I do actually like the monaco red leather, but only if it was the malbec black. Your probably right with the money though, 2010 G37S, I could spend like 35000 and have 10k still left to buy wheels, exhaust and a short throw anyway. I guess I just really like the way the IPL looks in black with the red leather setup.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Chico

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People are underestimating the suspension and exhaust upgrades in this car.

This is from Car and Driver magazine:

"Based as it is on the fine-driving G37 coupe, the IPL’s upgrades make it hands-down the best G coupe Infiniti has ever offered in the U.S. It still feels light and athletic, and thanks to the new suspension bits, the body stays as flat as Kansas when cornering."

Article here:

Car and Driver IPL First Drive

My vote goes to the IPL. A modded CPO will be nothing more than a CPO with even more expenses pumped into it.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:13 AM
Beer Magazine

THe IPL is a waste of money, I'd get the G37S and save the cash. There really is nothing in the upgrades worth the money premium. Maybe, maybe if you love the body kit (I don't) it's worth getting factory paint. That review is sort of dumb because they've said the same thing about the base G37S and most reviews even question why they made it.

At that price I'd look for a used 4-door M3
Old 02-23-2011, 02:28 AM
Doggy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ipl= fail, 18 more horses with a purple exterior and
Red interior isn't my taste, I'd look into a used one and mod
It. Exhaust and intake will run probably around 1500-2k and theres the 18hp vs the 10k extra for the ipl. All in all it's your car don't take others advice too much, I've learned the hard way
Old 02-23-2011, 09:45 AM
ScottyBeGood

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For the costs of the IPL, I could buy a loaded 2011 6MT Coupe or CPO, drop the car, add a Stillen Gen3, add a catback and there I have just out performed the IPL and still have money left over. Tough choice, not.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:08 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Why is everyone thinking the IPL is that much more expensive then a non IPL coupe? Equipped the same is less then 1.2k more for an IPL model. With that you get the exclusivity of it and the handling is quite different. For less then 1.2k you think you can get an exhaust that is not ricey but has a meaty sound to it, nice upgraded rims, intake and suspension upgrades? I think not. I have sold 4 IPL coupes now and have only 1 left, so not sure why the other guy is having a hard time selling them. It comes down to a matter of opinion though. I would personally fork out the extra money for an IPL. Just my thoughts.