Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Going to Japan

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 08:03 AM
snyde044

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going to Japan

Hey all had a question & wanted to get a few opinions, heres my situation. I'm in the Air Force & I'm getting stationed in Japan (Okinawa) for at least 24 months. I've got an '08 G37 & I am thinking of taking it with me, but I'm not entirely sure. I was also thinking that I might try to sell the Infiniti before I leave, & buy a Skyline 370 once I get there. Only problem will be bringing it back once my tour is over. Whats the process to get a car back from overseas, or can it even be done with the skyline? Will they allow me to drive a right-side-drive in the U.S? Would it be better just to bring my Infiniti over? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:08 AM
JoshLee89

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
process of bringing car overseas, or bringing it back are pita (tax, fee, certification, emission test etc). Lots of hidden fees, and small things that will come up. They probably won't even let you drive left handle car in japan, or right handle car in U.S.A. (especailly U.S.A's law for sure) So If money allows you. Just sell yours here, go buy new or used car there, sell it there, come back and buy again in U.S.A. By that time probably new G will come out? lol
Old 12-17-2010, 08:27 AM
danno62

I think, if you promise to use the Japanese (right-hand drive) car as a rural mail route carrier only...they'll let you bring it back without a hitch.

Seriously, not sure a right-hand drive makes a big difference - it doesn't with the mail service. Not sure how much you'll use a car over their, but rental/lease is an idea, if only on weekends and such. Check it out, the cost of selling, then buying and reselling, only to buy again when you get back may be more than 24 months of hit and miss renting...or short term leasing through an American Exchange.

Check this out:

How to Lease a Car in Japan | eHow.com

How are things at Keesler AFB by the way? Some 40+ years ago I was stationed at CBC in Gulfport.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:33 AM
snyde044

Its nice, a lot of things were taken out in the hurricane in '05 so a lot of the buildings are brand new.

& Lee, i know theres a lot of fees, & the only real reason im even thinking about it is the military will cover a lot of them. So I'm still on the fence. I have loved skylines for a long time & think it would be pretty sweet to get one, then bring it back here, but we'll see. Still got a lot of stuff to consider.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Pip

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was stationed on Okinawa several years ago and unca sam shipped our vehicle over there. It was a disaster. Your G will go on a ship that you have no control over. You won't be there to see how it is taken care of (or not!). Ours arrived with the back window broken out and the back full of rain water (station wagon). You can buy a cheap Japanese car (or better - a motorcycle) to get around on the island. The secondary roads are narrow and all roads are crowded. You won't be able to use the power of your G unless you're out at 2 AM. I'd sell the G, get a Daihatsu over there and save my money for when I got back if I were you. BTW, I was at Keesler in the early 70's.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:56 AM
Beer Magazine

i've read people shipping cars over there and back. They also sell LHD cars over there, but I'd say wait and buy when you live somewhere.
Old 12-19-2010, 04:13 AM
Obvis07

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
u can use right hand drive in the US and left hand drive in japan. ive seen it in while in japan and the states. its just the biggest issue will be money. u r better off selling u G getting a cheap car over there. and trust u want a cheap or small car in japan.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:02 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
They probably won't even let you drive left handle car in japan, or right handle car in U.S.A. (especailly U.S.A's law for sure)
Both suppositions are incorrect.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:37 PM
snyde044

looking more & more like I'm gonna wind up selling before I go unfortunately. Bummer too, I love my G. Prob gonna wind up selling around january/february in the baltimore DC area if anyone knows someone in the market.