Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

URGENT - Infiniti telling me lease I signed isn't valid!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 02:13 PM
dibtastic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
URGENT - Infiniti telling me lease I signed isn't valid!!!

I live in New York State and about 30 days ago I drove to Massachusetts and leased an Infiniti from a dealer there and I put down 9 Multiple Security Deposits. The following week they drove the car out to me and I met them at the DMV where they registered it, etc.

Today I get a call telling me the agreement I signed is not valid because I live in NYS and I used MSDs. Is this true??? I thought if you lived in NY and went outside the state you could do the MSDs?? Please give me some information, I need immediate help. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-01-2010, 02:23 PM
MyocyteX

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
What is an MSD?

Legally, it is a contract and if they knew that you were using MSDs or whatever, and it is not in the terms of the contract that you cannot use MSDs, then this is their mistake, but not a legal reason to invalidate a contract.

What are they claiming? That you need to return the car?
Old 12-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Beer Magazine

Usually if you are buying a car it's sold at the point of your residence. So if you live in NYC you pay taxes based there, or when you register. If you had a place to claim residence in Mass then moved to NYC they couldn't do anything about it. I'd stick to your guns and tell them you will honor the contract you signed, if they don't want to honor it you want your money back in full, and no charge on the car usage (legally they can charge you for usage)
Old 12-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
PM da mayor.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:44 PM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
technically NY doesnt do MSD....but i dont know if that means if NY Dealerships cant do it, or it cant be done to any car registered in NY, and the sale is done at the point of residence.

However I do know of someone who leased a BMW (in westchester i think) and was able to do MSD.

Kenny (da mayor) is your best person to ask. Also call up the dealership and find out.

As beer magazine said.....stick to your guns, fight your fight. worst case scenario, make sure they refund all the money you spend and not let them charge you for usage. It might end up costing them more to get the car back used than to let u just keep it
Old 12-01-2010, 04:03 PM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
If it's a sport, just leave it in a parking lot with the wheels(off) and seats removed, tell them to go get it.......... and go buy another, thats just what I'd do.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:50 PM
dibtastic

Tried to PM da mayor but it said his PM box was full.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Beer Magazine

Let's be honest, you knew they didn't do MSDs and tried to get around it. The dealer probably new it wouldn't work but sold you the car anyway. All the contracts you sign are pending bank approval. and if they didn't approve, they can take the car back or offer you a different deal.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:17 PM
dibtastic

I was under the impression that it was fine for me to go to a dealership outside of NYS and do the MSDs. The dealership drove the car out to me. I never got anything in the mail for my payment to be due. That's why I called IFS and they had no record of it. I then reached out to the dealership and they looked into it and this is what they told me. I'm not sure how I could be driving the car for over a month and they didn't realize that. This is crazy to me.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Doggy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Drive a free car! Lol
Old 12-01-2010, 11:19 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by dibtastic
Tried to PM da mayor but it said his PM box was full.
I keep my PM's full b/c of too many inquiries.... and i prefer email in case i'm out of the office and can reply quickly

MSD's are not allowed on any lease for New York state... it's written in black and white nationally and I guess they did not catch that.

They should've read the fine print. I'd return the car and get every dollar back -- I'd be glad to help you into a new one if you prefer.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:22 PM
RaulGCustom
SoCal Driven

Received 406 Likes on 400 Posts
Originally Posted by doggyfresh102
Drive a free car! Lol
hahaaaaaa you crazy bro
Old 12-01-2010, 11:23 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
well they messed up... make sure they come to you with a full refund check and they come pick up the car from you.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:46 AM
dibtastic

Thanks for you response Kenny. I have sent you an e-mail to discuss this. I'm in a major bind and need some insight.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:51 PM
zhaofl

I too leased my car in Massachusetts. The dealer also messed up and over charged me for the security deposit. One month later, IFS voided the contract and I had to go back to the dealership to sign a new contract. Basically the finance manager at the dealership had to fudge the number so that my monthly payment stayed the same and cut me a check for the overcharge.

Though, your case is much more complicated. I would imagine that the dealer will have a huge loss if they just take back the car. Most likely they will ask you to sign a new contract. Worst case, you get the MSD back and you will have the monthly payment recalculated based on the original money factor. Your best scenario is that they refund you all the security deposit and keep the monthly payment the same, basically you get around $2000 saving for free. Unlikely to happen, but the dealer messed all this up and you have all the leverage. Just negotiate with them firmly, and you may get somewhat of a reduced monthly payment without any security deposit.

On a side note, IFS is really inefficient regarding lease. I got my car almost for two months now, but they still haven't set up my payment in the system. So yeah, I am riding the car for free now.

Quick Reply: URGENT - Infiniti telling me lease I signed isn't valid!!!