Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Another "How much is my G worth?" thread...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 12:26 AM
AndrewDDS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another "How much is my G worth?" thread...

Alright guys. I just bought a boat to keep tied up behind my place, and I'm thinking about getting rid of the two cars I have currently and buying one SUV to simplify my life a bit. I've had my '08 G37S 6MT for almost three years now. It was in the first run of the new models, and it's been my daily driver as long as there wasn't snow or slush on the roads. Here's the scoop:

2008 G37S 6MT; blue slate; 44,000 miles; every possible factory option (navigation, original voice commands, spoiler, etc); 35% tint, Eibach Pro Kit springs, Hotchkis sways, navigation bypass, auto window roll-up mod, spare set of OEM 19' wheels (one set has Blizzak LM-60s, the other has brand new Yokohama AVID ENVigors), custom Arc Reactor headlights, garage kept since new, dealership serviced with all records, and a Stillen front lip that's not currently installed. All original equipment (headlights, springs, sways) is supplied with the car.

I'm in no hurry to sell this, and I'm content to hold onto the car for a few more years. But if it's still worth something and it's going to be worth nothing once I pack 80mi+ on it, then I just assume get rid of it now. So what do you guys think I could get out of it?
Old 11-28-2010, 12:51 AM
TomieG

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sadly the G doesn't seem to hold its value very well. I've seen similar spec'd 08's w/ that milage go for low to mid 20's.

Im sure you could get more if you parted out your car.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:05 AM
NonAme

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're gonna trade it in, all those mods won't add anything to your cars value. More likely those mods will make your car worth less even more. But if you go private, you might get a good deal with all those mods if the buyer is right. But it's tough to be that lucky. I say keep the car and enjoy it till it dies.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:14 AM
ScottyBeGood

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NonAme
If you're gonna trade it in, all those mods won't add anything to your cars value.
+1, NonAme is right with all the mods on the car the value will not increase on a trade in value.

With trade in values we use two resources when determining what the trade in value is worth. We use KBB and Edmunds that are used to show consumers what their cars are worth. When valuing your car it is important that you look at the trade in value not the full retail value, as it is difficult for a dealer to pay the full costs of the value trade. Usually when people make the decision to sell their car on a trade they are doing this for one or two reasons. First, they don't want the hassle of trying to sell their car, as it is time consuming and guess what people want to negotiate a deal in the private market as well. Second, while I can't speak for all states I can speak for PA and a few others are like this, the value of the trade is deducted from the pre-tax portion of the new car. My thoughts on this is why should someone be taxed on a car twice. If you are buying a $40k car and trading in a $25k car, then your tax is really based on $15k. That is one of the advantages of trading in.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:01 PM
AndrewDDS

I'm not even considering trading it in, because I'll probably be replacing it with a used SUV privately. I'm going to sell it privately or else hold onto it; those are the only two options I'm considering. I might throw it up on Autotrader and see if I get any bites, and if not, I'll just hold onto it. Thanks guys!
Old 11-30-2010, 12:08 AM
Beer Magazine

Mods also hurt private party sales because people don't trust modded cars. You'll get more for a stock car than one with mods.

I sold a modded Twin Turbo 350Z but I sold it for maybe $4,000 more than stock value because a turbo kit is about $10K installed. That was really the only mod that maybe gained some value over stock.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:00 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
6MT G's hold their value fine with low mileage, assuming you're in a region where the cars are not that common. Once you're past 25k miles and up the value goes down pretty fast.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:17 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2 of my friends sold their Gs (1 6MT and 1 5AT), no nav, for around 23-25k to carmax.