Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Question about leasing and mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 10:45 AM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question about leasing and mileage

random thought about mileage and leasing. When you lease a car they normally tell you XX miles per year. which means if you get 12k miles and lease the car for 3 years.......comes out to 1k miles a month....makes sense, fine

what about the people who lease their cars for 39 months? their contract states they need to give the car back with 36,000 miles, but are keeping their car for 3 months extra. the words used on the lease are "per year" and not "per month" or "for the duration of your lease".........which leads me to think that maybe they are cheating us out of miles?

im thinking they do this to play with the value of the car. a lot of times ill hear the rates on the 39 month are better than 36 month, thus being able to make it a few bucks cheaper.

Another question I had is.......the residual cost of the car is based off the fact that the car will be used for 3 years and 36k miles. Well what if you barely use those miles. For example my grandpa would have only used about 10k of the 36k miles hes allowed......which makes a significant difference in the value. Is it possible to get the value re-adjusted and get money back? or do the dealers just laugh and reap the benefits on their own.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:59 AM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They give you the extra miles for the extra 3 months. The reason they do the 39 month lease is then you have to pay the registration for the year and they won't have to before they resell. Rates are typically better on 39 month leases. That being said...they always call you at 34-35 months to trade in early...
Old 11-24-2010, 12:16 PM
carz

they only give u the extra miles if you extend your lease. Im pretty sure my lease says 36k
Old 11-24-2010, 01:23 PM
LightsOut

no need to worry about miles, if you plan on staying with Infiniti. Trade the car in about 2 months early with over mileage, and all that will be waived by Infiniti.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:14 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
you won't get money back for low milage,my parents turned in their benz it had 12k at the end of the lease, it was a 3yr 36k lease.
they had to pay a fee to benz for $495 lease termination fee.
needless to say they will never go near a benz again.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
you won't get money back for low milage,my parents turned in their benz it had 12k at the end of the lease, it was a 3yr 36k lease.
The lease says how many miles you get. If you don't use the miles you paid for them. You only get money back if you bought lots of miles. It varies by dealer but if you buy like 20-25k you might get money back.

If the car is worth more than the payoff you can sell the car, or trade it in. Finishing the lease isn't always the best option.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:29 PM
ScottyBeGood

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LightsOut
no need to worry about miles, if you plan on staying with Infiniti. Trade the car in about 2 months early with over mileage, and all that will be waived by Infiniti.
LightsOut is on target with this one. We tend to focus on buying out lease customers to get them out of their leases and into new vehicles. Keep in mind when you are trading in an Infiniti for a new Infiniti there is Loyalty cash $$$$.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:41 PM
zhaofl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carz
they only give u the extra miles if you extend your lease. Im pretty sure my lease says 36k
My lease is also for 39 months. It only says 10k per year and no where does it states the total millage. So I am pretty sure that you will get the extra miles for the last 3 months.

As for the lease rate, the residual value of a 39 month lease is usually only 1% lower than that of a 36 month lease. But in reality, it should be at least 2~3% lower to match the monthly payment. IFS will move up the money factor a little bit to make up the difference. So the lease rate is actually higher on the 39 month lease, but you usually still get a better overall deal (lower monthly payment) on a 39 month lease.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:26 PM
LightsOut

Originally Posted by ScottyBeGood
LightsOut is on target with this one. We tend to focus on buying out lease customers to get them out of their leases and into new vehicles. Keep in mind when you are trading in an Infiniti for a new Infiniti there is Loyalty cash $$$$.

I just did this with the wifes BMW. She was 2k miles over and last two payments and damage was waived.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:28 PM
carz

Originally Posted by LightsOut
im not worried about the miles, i wont get anywhere near 30k, but it was just a thought regarding all leased vehicles

Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
because of the fee they wont get another benz? all companies are doing the fee

Originally Posted by zhaofl
My lease is also for 39 months. It only says 10k per year and no where does it states the total millage. So I am pretty sure that you will get the extra miles for the last 3 months.
i really dont think so, the contract stays the max
Old 11-24-2010, 06:49 PM
ScottyBeGood

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No, it doesn't. If you look at the Buyer's Lease Order you will note that the mileage is given per year. If you lease a car for 39 months at 12k miles per year, than at the end of the term the mileage should be maxed at 39k miles.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:15 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
im not worried about the miles, i wont get anywhere near 30k, but it was just a thought regarding all leased vehicles

because of the fee they wont get another benz? all companies are doing the fee

not through mb usa financial.
the car had 12k it was supposed to have 36k(that was what they paid for)

they didn't get a benz because they did 1/3 the mileage & they wouldn't do anything for them.
leases are not open to refund @ the end of the lease. Especially if you don't buy/lease same brand. You would have to sell it privately, I would.
they were paying almost the same for a 97' 230 4 matic vs the g37.
just don't assume,your gonna get any money back that's all.