Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Buying A 2008 G37, Manual or Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Despair IX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying A 2008 G37, Manual or Automatic?

Like the title says which won do you think I should go with. I want maual but i hear the g37 really has clutch problems and burns out quick. Then it cost 2400 to fix it and get a new. That's prouably the only thing stoping me from getting one. What do you guys think?
Old 08-20-2010, 04:29 PM
DmfG37sTT

Well the only thing about getting a 08 is that your getting someone elses problem. I understand alot of peopel trade their vehicles back in due to money issues but with a used vehicle exspect problems. if it aint new I would go with AT but I also hear they have alot of issues as well.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:51 PM
KennethG37S

I guess it's personal choice.. I have 08 5AT now and happy with it. I've installed Betty's grounding kit and I've always been using manual mode while driving. It's not really same as MT but you can at least enjoy shifting If you are daily driver with traffic involved, i would recommend AT, otherwise get 6MT.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Despair IX

Originally Posted by DmfG37sTT
Well the only thing about getting a 08 is that your getting someone elses problem. I understand alot of peopel trade their vehicles back in due to money issues but with a used vehicle exspect problems. if it aint new I would go with AT but I also hear they have alot of issues as well.
what kind of problems do you hear about for the AT. I havnt really heard anything so I'm out of the loop here
Old 08-20-2010, 05:15 PM
Despair IX

Originally Posted by KennethG37S
I guess it's personal choice.. I have 08 5AT now and happy with it. I've installed Betty's grounding kit and I've always been using manual mode while driving. It's not really same as MT but you can at least enjoy shifting If you are daily driver with traffic involved, i would recommend AT, otherwise get 6MT.
what is a grounding kit exactly?
Old 08-20-2010, 05:18 PM
KennethG37S

Originally Posted by Despair IX
what is a grounding kit exactly?
Read this out
https://www.myg37.com/forums/misc-ve...ing-wires.html
Old 08-20-2010, 07:52 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by DmfG37sTT
Actually a lot of people that buy into entry-lux segments lease or have short attention spans that get them into new cars every other year.

With the 6mt tranny in our cars, you should test drive them both and see which one you like to drive. I love driving my 6MT most of the time, but I also didn't know how to drive stick when I bought it. The noisey clutch, clunky trans, high engagement point and overall less refinement might have steered me toward an AT back when I got mine. There isn't anything specifically causing the clutch to wear out prematurely. There are some higher mileage people around here on the original clutch.

However, I've learned to deal with all of that stuff and I love it...
Old 08-20-2010, 09:53 PM
SpartanG37S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I prefer the 6MT over the manual, but there are a few things that annoy me about the 6MT.

The trans is clunky at times
1st-2nd Shift takes some getting used to in daily driving. In spirited driving, it's silky smooth. Go figure
High clutch engagement takes some getting used to.
Clutch is noisy

I'm sure I'm echoing what other 6MT owners think as well. Also, I'd be weary of buying a used 6MT because you just don't know what kind of abuse that clutch has been through. Get estimates for a clutch replacement so it won't be a surprise if/when it happens.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:04 PM
KennethG37S

6MT is MAUAL LOL
Old 08-21-2010, 04:11 PM
droogie
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People with manuals complain about it and wish they had auto. People with autos complain about it and wish they had manual. Point is get what you like.

I have a 7AT and from reading the forums I think alot of people have unrealistic expectations as to what this transmission should be capable of. People complain of slow tip-in, gear hunting, slow downshifting, you name it. Make sure you get a sport model, as the paddle shifters alleviate alot of this by letting you choose what gear you want to be in.

If the car is a weekend warrior, I would have gotten a manual. But I have to sit through Houston traffic so I'm thankful for the AT during those times.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:16 PM
SpartanG37S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KennethG37S
6MT is MAUAL LOL
It's actually manual. But as I know what you mean, you know what I mean...
Old 08-24-2010, 12:59 PM
Beer Magazine

There are no clutch issues other than people who can't drive the car right. The engine produces a lot of power and torque which if you don't know how to drive an MT will wear faster. This issue came up with the OG 350Z which I had, but it was more of the people not driving right.

Either one is going to be fun. I skipped MT this time because I wanted a specific color this time and the only MT was silver. So for 3 years the AT works for me. Or if I need to shift some gears I roll out my 76 280Z....and get reminded how power steering is a nice options sometimes.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:07 AM
ist0rmzz

Personal Preference

The 08 Infiniti G37 S coupe 6MT is my first manual luxury coupe coming from an 08 350z AT. It's all about personal preference and also on the driving conditions that you drive your car on. If you live high traffic areas that's constant bumper to bumper traffi or hilly areas, I would recommend to get an automatic. Other than that, the manual is the best way to go since it taps the true potential of the car. The only complaints I have about the car is that the clutch engagement point is too high. If you are not use to driving cars with high engagement point, this car will jerk and telll you are a noob at driving.