Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Dealership is asking for $227 @ time of plates/reg pickup 4 a "charge" -- VALID?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 06:34 PM
MikeySed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealership is asking for $227 @ time of plates/reg pickup 4 a "charge" -- VALID?

Hey guys, so as some of you know I picked up a loaded 09 a couple weeks ago. Well my plates are in.. the carfax on the car never shows it was titled, but my salesman told me it was likely a 1 year fleet lease. Well anyways, I got a great deal on the car, and then I go in and the manager tries to hit me with a $499 "used car prep fee" .. I laughed and go are you outta your F***Ing mind? I am only paying the doc fee don't even try this or I am leaving, he comes back moments later saying I am sorry it was already included in your price..

The car I bought I figured was "used" the salesman told me it was a likely fleet lease for 1 year (its an 09 with 10k miles)

Now, my plates are in and some secretary called me and said that the car was new, and the car was never titled.. so she said because it was never titled the reg and plates is more money.. $227 more.

Now I signed contract for the price I already paid, I paid my tax and everything.. I was just waiting for my plates..

is this $227 valid because the car was still new and never titled so its more?

thats part 1, however, even if its valid, am I responsible for the $227? I signed a contract that shows the price and I signed it (i have a copy obviously).. so is this the dealerships fault regardless and I shouldn't pay?

I am really at a loss.. I acted very nice (i was at a relatives pool and said I was out and will call them tomorrow to discuss pick up, and payment, etc and I couldn't do it now because I am busy).

I would love to hear some input.. I don't think I should pay it - I have a signed contract of all my "fees" and "price" and it's signed and more importantly is a new cars plates/reg more money than a used cars?

I didn't transfer any plates, and wasn't planning on it..was going new plates and reg.

-Mike
Old 07-08-2010, 07:07 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When you signed, was title and registration included? If so the dealership should take care of it for you, not come back and ask for more. You have already paid what both parties legally agreed to. Feels like another attempt at getting some cash out of you.

But more importantly, did you read the document? Was it a new vehicle?
Old 07-08-2010, 07:15 PM
MikeySed

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
When you signed, was title and registration included? If so the dealership should take care of it for you, not come back and ask for more. You have already paid what both parties legally agreed to. Feels like another attempt at getting some cash out of you.

But more importantly, did you read the document? Was it a new vehicle?

Thank you for making me look. the contract i signed is PRE-OWNED CONTRACT ORDER. Pre-owned is whats checked, not new and it even says in bold red. PRE OWNED CONTRACT ORDER! I was under impression from dealer and obviously the contract.. I bought a preowned car.. HELL it has 10k miles! I guess they even thought it was pre-owned because that's the contract i signed. and yes also on the contract is DMV fees which is plates and reg, no?

SO I have a signed contract that I bought a "preowned car" (that's checked) and on the contract is dmv/reg fees.. everything is already paid.. this is BS.. this $227 is on them. I paid what I agreed to and signed. They find out last minute it was never titled, that isn't my problem, I hope they don't give me a friggen problem.

EDIT: I also signed a used motorvehicle lemon law/warranty disclosure... everything i signed is in reference to a USED car..

Last edited by MikeySed; 07-08-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:41 AM
smash27

I would do two things. First I would contact you State Attorney General's Office and file a complaint. Then I would email Infiniti. The dealership's incompetence may be illegal. I see you live in New Jersey. When you buy a new car in New Jersey, the dealership must inspect the car and put an inspection sticker on it. The Inspection sticker is good for 3 years. Who put the inspection sticker on the car and when was it put on ? You can get that information from the inspection sticker.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:46 PM
MikeySed

Originally Posted by smash27
I would do two things. First I would contact you State Attorney General's Office and file a complaint. Then I would email Infiniti. The dealership's incompetence may be illegal. I see you live in New Jersey. When you buy a new car in New Jersey, the dealership must inspect the car and put an inspection sticker on it. The Inspection sticker is good for 3 years. Who put the inspection sticker on the car and when was it put on ? You can get that information from the inspection sticker.

There is NO inspection sticker on my car.. they said because the car is pre-owned i am responsible for that (this was at time I bought the car 2 weeks ago). The car came from out of state.

The car, under every piece of information is used... however, the carfax never showed an owner, sot hey want money from me now =\
Old 07-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Frankyg37s

who drove 10k on the car is a more interesting subject than 227$dont you think ???
Old 07-10-2010, 12:34 AM
MikeySed

Originally Posted by franky2222
who drove 10k on the car is a more interesting subject than 227$dont you think ???
i assumed it was a fleet lease, i have all service records, no paintwork on car, etc.. so the car is fine.. i assumed i bought a pre-owned 09 with 10k miles... however, the car was never titled or something so I am the "1st" owner technically
Old 07-10-2010, 12:48 AM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you only pay what you agreed to at purchase... all the fees are written in the contract you signed, if it's not listed on the contract you signed, then they can't charge you anything and they have to deliver the car.

the document lists everything: price, taxes, title/registration, fees.

the lemon law disclosure is whatever. If it's still under warranty it technically doesn't really matter.

that dealership is pretty effed up if they tried to charge you after purchase.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:56 AM
Eastern-G

Sounds pretty strange to me. Was this G purchased at an Infiniti dealer? I have purchased preowned cars from VA, PA, and NJ and have never once had to pay some sort of "afterthought fee" when picking up my car. I would not pay them - any way to cancel the deal? I would be extremely pissed if a dealership tried to pull that on me.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:56 PM
MikeySed

Originally Posted by Eastern-G
Sounds pretty strange to me. Was this G purchased at an Infiniti dealer? I have purchased preowned cars from VA, PA, and NJ and have never once had to pay some sort of "afterthought fee" when picking up my car. I would not pay them - any way to cancel the deal? I would be extremely pissed if a dealership tried to pull that on me.

Yes, Ramsey Infiniti... car was an 09 with 10k miles.. I bought it.. carfax showed it was sold out of state.. I have service records - car was owned in Michigan.. car is great, nothing wrong.. have had it over 2 weeks now.. love it.

They called me that my plates are in.. everything I signed and was told -- is that the car was a 1 yr fleet lease ... so i bought it..

now they have my plates and reg and they call me to tell me and ask for $227 because the car had never been titled and because its "New" (never titled before) the registration fee is "$227" more.. so they want me to pay it..

2 things here.. a) I signed all my paperwork and contract.. so that right there should be good enough to not make me pay -- we agreed on a price and I signed contract and took the car home

b) its their fault - so because its their fault for not knowing it was "never titled", I have to pay?

c) the things I DID SIGN are for a pre-owned car, everything from pre-owned retail owner, to used car buying policy, etc..

so I think there is no way in hell I should pay this mysterious $227.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:53 PM
mw09g37

again, you should not.

they list everything on your purchase agreement. This includes additional options or protection packages. if you didn't sign for it, they can't charge you to deliver your car... Granted the fees and registration is an estimate... but that's why it's not uniform either... some perform better estimates than others.

but at the end of the day, it's retarded... after making a sale, they're crying over 227 dollars... All they're going to get is a pissed off customer... and the added cost of being "flamed" in an infinti forum... not the position they really should put themselves in. I mean a happy customer comes back to do services with them... a pissed off customer makes sure nobody buys from that dealership.

fortunately you don't really need your plates if you have the registration sticker on your windshield.... ha ha this is your chance to get custom plates!

Last edited by mw09g37; 07-10-2010 at 07:02 PM.