Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Dealer let me walk over $600

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 09:37 PM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Plus, the damn 6MT is the most expensive of the coupes!
Same with the sedans. Here in upstate NY and all of NE it is impossible to find a RWD G, only the X AWD models up here. Dealers here didn't even want to talk to me. Closest place I could find with a good deal was the DC area, so I worked with them over the internet and then phone, got the deal I wanted, they had it on the lot, drove down, and picked it up.

There are literally only a handful of RWD models in the whole of upstate and NE.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:45 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jryanp
haha oh... yea i don't know much about north nj. salerno duane is in denville, nj. also up there somewhere. but yea, there arent many 6MT coupes. i only contacted others to see what prices they would offer. looks like you got a nice deal though.
now we can wait together hahaha
what color did you get? i got amethyst graphite.
That was my second choice. I'm getting Graphite Shadow instead. But last year Amethyst was my favorite color....
Old 05-06-2010, 01:35 AM
nitromt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
I don't know if this is some kind of record or not, but I joined this forum in 2005 and this is the first time I'm ever actually posting. Hmm....

Anyway, I went down to my local Infiniti dealer today to pull the trigger on a Graphite Shadow 6MT coupe w/navigation and rear spoiler. The MSRP on the car is $43665. I offered $39350, which is the price I found online via a car buying service. The dealer countered $600 higher than my offer. I ended up walking...

Here's the thing-- they don't have this car. It would have to be ordered because there are none anywhere close with that color & options in a 6MT. The salesman told me that the car would take only 6 to 8 weeks to arrive after it was ordered. Is that true? That seems pretty quick for a car that is built in Japan.

You should have offered even less....
Old 05-06-2010, 03:28 AM
jryanp

Originally Posted by nitromt

thats USAA price though...
Old 05-06-2010, 06:47 AM
MSCA
Banned

How much should I have offered them? $5000 out the door?
Old 05-06-2010, 09:31 AM
nitromt

Originally Posted by jryanp
thats USAA price though...
It is. But USAA uses Zag.com for the most part. Regardless, the dealer doesn't lose money on a USAA sale. At the end of the month towards the end of the model year, you can probably beat the USAA price by $500 if you talk to the Internet Sales Manager yourself.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:22 AM
MSCA
Banned

My offer was based up on the number I got from Zag, so I thought it was fair. Plus, we're not at the end of the month or the end of the model year.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Jamler

That was my second choice. I'm getting Graphite Shadow instead. But last year Amethyst was my favorite color....

That Graph Shadow color is my fave...
Saw one all prep'd and ready for owner pickup at dealer last time I was there.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:10 PM
jryanp

It is. But USAA uses Zag.com for the most part. Regardless, the dealer doesn't lose money on a USAA sale. At the end of the month towards the end of the model year, you can probably beat the USAA price by $500 if you talk to the Internet Sales Manager yourself.
damn. don't tell me that. hahaha because i just bought mine last week and now it's too late lol
Old 05-07-2010, 03:31 AM
HP_John

I've worked in sales for 2 new car dealers (not Infiniti). 1 focused on service above price, the other focused on price over service. At the 1st dealer, they didn't have the best prices, but did offer a higher level of service (not just talking about sales, but in every dept). The dealership was "nicer", the reps take the time to go over every detail about the car & explain things to the customers. At the 2nd dealer, the reps aren't as knowledgeable about the cars, they can't do as good a job at explaining things, but they have better prices. The 1st dealer sells in low volume, but at higher prices, the 2nd dealer sells in higher volume, but at lower prices.

If the sales guy actually let you walk over $600, that means his manager just isn't willing to bend any more that day, even if it means losing the sale. They hate to let you walk out the door without a deal, because they know there's a good chance you're going to buy somewhere else, they're not letting you walk because they think you'll give up. They eventually relented probably because they had really bad sales for the week or the month, & badly needed it.

Last edited by HP_John; 05-07-2010 at 03:38 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:36 AM
HP_John

Originally Posted by jmark
Don't deal with the salesman. Go straight to the manager...
The manager is much better at convincing you he's your friend & gets you to raise your bottom line price. The reason he's the manager is, he's so good at smooth-talking the customers. At both dealers I worked at, the managers had a ridiculous closing ratio, & don't sell cars for any lower than they tell their sales guy how low they can go.

Does the manager have final say? Obviously, but don't go dealing with them thinking you're going to get what you want, the sales managers have far too much experience & are far too good at what they do.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:31 AM
DashKid
Banned

Well what part of the month did you go in. Normally in the beginning of the months they won't do great deals because they just started the quota for that month but if you go towards the end of the month they are more likely to give you better deals. That is if the Stealership is hurting in sales.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:22 PM
MSCA
Banned

So my salesman is telling me that my car will be here in the 3rd week of June. That's less than 5 weeks from the day it was ordered. He even gave me the car's VIN one day after the order was placed. Does something seem fishy to any of you guys?
Old 05-12-2010, 05:38 PM
britishmutt

So my salesman is telling me that my car will be here in the 3rd week of June. That's less than 5 weeks from the day it was ordered. He even gave me the car's VIN one day after the order was placed. Does something seem fishy to any of you guys?
To me it sounds like you're getting one that's coming in on the next shipment. It was probably intended to go to another dealer but he's arranging to do a pipeline transfer to his dealership.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:24 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by britishmutt
To me it sounds like you're getting one that's coming in on the next shipment. It was probably intended to go to another dealer but he's arranging to do a pipeline transfer to his dealership.
Yeah, that's possible. The only thing that bothers me is that the dealer did an extended search looking for a car exactly the way I wanted it. When he told me that the car didn't exist, I told him to do a factory order and I'll wait. I made it clear that I wanted my car with just the options I chose and nothing else added on. So now I'm wondering if the car will come in exactly as I wanted...

Quick Reply: Dealer let me walk over $600