Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

dealer scam, or am i overreacting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 01:20 AM
ontheline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry dealer scam, or am i overreacting?

Long story short, I bought a left over '09 coupe for a very good price in March 2010. It had 350-400 miles on it, I was told that was from test drives (approx 1 mile for every day on their lot).

All paperwork says 'new' car, but what was never disclosed was the fact that this was their demo unit that they had officially put 'in-service' summer of 2009. This means the warranty had about 1 year expired on it when they sold it to me 'new'. The demo/warranty situation was never disclosed at any time during the sale and is not noted on any paperwork.

When I notified the dealership to express my concerns (I thought it was just a mistake on the 'in-service' date), first they would not respond. Only after multiple emails and my second in-person visit did I find out it was a demo. Only after I raised my voice in the showroom in front of other customers did they offer to purchase an extended warranty. This was after telling me that since it was never titled, it was in fact 'new' and while they should have disclosed the demo status and warranty start date, they weren't going to do anything else but offer the extended warranty.

When I mentioned it was fraud to sell a car like that, all I got was a smug smile from the sales manager while he assured me it was no such thing.

Is the extended warranty as good as the factory? Is it transferable? Does it cover the same items? I've presented the manager with these questions, but my emails again go un-answered. Is there a customer information/complaint line for Infiniti Corporate?
Old 05-04-2010, 01:48 AM
Creepers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
400 miles is a tad much for a new car. that should've raised some flags. nevertheless, i agree the dealership did you wrong and i would be pissed, too. you could try to call infiniti corporate, but really they have no power over them. you could also file a complaint with the BBB. that might put a little pressure on them.

good luck with everything and enjoy your new car.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:36 AM
gan78mao

the warranty should start the date that u purchased it! i believe the extended warranty is as good as the normal warranty!! shoulda be clear about it with them when u signed the papers! hope everything goes well!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:53 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
any car under 7500 miles NEVER TITLED W/ DMV can be considered a new vehicle still. just check with each state it will vary.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:23 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think technically it could quality as a "new" car but it sounds like they did pull a fast one on you by giving you the demo. Time for negotiations.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:28 PM
ontheline

I asked about the mileage when I drove it and was told it was new with full warranty, the miles seemed a little high to me too. Considering it had been on the lot for close to 1.5 years, it didn't seem unreasonable. The price was also right (dealer invoice - ~3,500).

Good to know about the 'new' status being up to 7500 based on the state. It still seems wrong to do this without disclosing it. They pretty much guaranteed I'm never going back for another car from them and after I tell people the experience, they will probably think twice about it too.

The thing that really gets me is I was looking at a CPO 335i and the decision came down to warranty in the end, the CPO BMW wouldn't be covered nearly as long and has known expensive fuel pump and oil cooler issues. The Infiniti sales guy knew this was part of my decision.

Has anyone had to use an Infiniti extended warranty compared to the original? Since they won't give me the details of the extended other than waiting 4 weeks for the mail delivery of the package, I have no idea what is covered.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Danny@Limited Edition
Former Sponsor

Infiniti Ownership | Vehicle Warranty | Infiniti USA

I think the 7 year/100,000mile is the extended warranty.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:43 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by ontheline
I asked about the mileage when I drove it and was told it was new with full warranty, the miles seemed a little high to me too. Considering it had been on the lot for close to 1.5 years, it didn't seem unreasonable. The price was also right (dealer invoice - ~3,500).

Good to know about the 'new' status being up to 7500 based on the state. It still seems wrong to do this without disclosing it. They pretty much guaranteed I'm never going back for another car from them and after I tell people the experience, they will probably think twice about it too.

The thing that really gets me is I was looking at a CPO 335i and the decision came down to warranty in the end, the CPO BMW wouldn't be covered nearly as long and has known expensive fuel pump and oil cooler issues. The Infiniti sales guy knew this was part of my decision.

Has anyone had to use an Infiniti extended warranty compared to the original? Since they won't give me the details of the extended other than waiting 4 weeks for the mail delivery of the package, I have no idea what is covered.
what do you mean? It's all in writing on the extended wararnty form that you signed. I'm a finance manager... I have to check off and disclose with every client which warranty they took, there are tons of different warranties, what deductible, how long of a term, how long mileage, etc...

If you signed the papers, you have a copy already. The Infiniti Elite Warranty is the same as the limited 4yr/60k including roadside assistance and covers you to however long you signed it for
Old 05-04-2010, 02:05 PM
ontheline

^ I haven't signed anything for an extended warranty.

The last thing the sales manger said is that I would be receiving extended warranty information in the mail from Infiniti and that I was covered for an additional year from the 'in-service' date.

Is this just bs too?
Old 05-04-2010, 02:28 PM
MDG37S

Sounds like they "punched it through" to get the new car sales incentives. Dealerships sometimes do this to create a sale for the purposes of trunk money or other incentives or holdbacks, but the car isn't really sold to anyone. Was yours sold as a new car or used car in the sales contract?
Old 05-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Your warranty should start from the date of purchase if it was sold as "new".
Old 05-04-2010, 02:48 PM
ontheline

Originally Posted by MDG37S
Sounds like they "punched it through" to get the new car sales incentives. Dealerships sometimes do this to create a sale for the purposes of trunk money or other incentives or holdbacks, but the car isn't really sold to anyone. Was yours sold as a new car or used car in the sales contract?
One guy referred to it as "punched" when talking to another sales guy, but I had no idea what that was. That sounds like what they did.

It was sold as "new" on the contract, the receipt and all paperwork from them has three boxes, "new", "used" + "demo". On all of them, they checked off "new".
Old 05-04-2010, 02:58 PM
MDG37S

If I am not mistaken, a car that was punched should sell as a used car. If they sold it to you as a new car both in words and in the sales documents, then they certainly owe you an extension of your warranty to the day you bought it because they either lied to you or made a mistake. The extended warranty should be the same as the regular warranty. You just have to read the fine print and make sure there isn't a deductible. If you feel scammed and think you have a case to pursue them for anything more, you'd have to decide that maybe with a lawyer, but if it were me, a free extended warranty and maybe oil changes would probably suffice. Good luck.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:09 PM
MDG37S

I'm sure Infiniti customer service has a phone number you can call. My experience with manufacturers' U.S. customer service entities leads me to believe they won't do anything for you except try to make you feel important by "taking down your comments and forwarding them higher up" only to disappear, but you could tell the dealer that you will call Inifiniti if they don't respond to your questions.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:22 PM
beerme986

technically it still a new car since it was never titled; demo's are still considered a new car unfortunately. not much you can do at this point but take the extended warranty

Quick Reply: dealer scam, or am i overreacting?