Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

dealer scam, or am i overreacting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:02 PM
ontheline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MDG37S
If I am not mistaken, a car that was punched should sell as a used car. If they sold it to you as a new car both in words and in the sales documents, then they certainly owe you an extension of your warranty to the day you bought it because they either lied to you or made a mistake. The extended warranty should be the same as the regular warranty. You just have to read the fine print and make sure there isn't a deductible. If you feel scammed and think you have a case to pursue them for anything more, you'd have to decide that maybe with a lawyer, but if it were me, a free extended warranty and maybe oil changes would probably suffice. Good luck.
Talked briefly to a lawyer, on the surface he said it looked like a classic case of breach of contract. You can't sign a contract to sell one thing and provide another. It would be as if the car was sold with nav, but when you got home it didn't actually have nav. In his opinion it was only worth it to go after them if they provided no recourse. I am going to press on the warranty and if they choose not to provide details on exactly what the extended warranty solution is or if it doesn't match the original, I'm moving forward legally.

I'm actually a very reasonable person, I've never sued anyone in my life. If they were just responsive and weren't playing the "ignore him and he'll go away" routine, I probably wouldn't.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:06 PM
MDG37S

Originally Posted by ontheline
Talked briefly to a lawyer, on the surface he said it looked like a classic case of breach of contract. You can't sign a contract to sell one thing and provide another. It would be as if the car was sold with nav, but when you got home it didn't actually have nav. In his opinion it was only worth it to go after them if they provided no recourse. I am going to press on the warranty and if they choose not to provide details on exactly what the extended warranty solution is or if it doesn't match the original, I'm moving forward legally.

I'm actually a very reasonable person, I've never sued anyone in my life. If they were just responsive and weren't playing the "ignore him and he'll go away" routine, I probably wouldn't.
Good for you. Good luck!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:44 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was going to say the same exact thing!

Keep us updated please.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Beer Magazine

Don't people read the docs you sign? EVERY car I have bought they go over the mileage and when the warranty expires. You may want to look at those papers.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:57 PM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, it sounds like they pulled a fast one, but considering it only had 400 miles on it, if I got a free extended warranty, that would be worth it to me. And by extended warranty, I mean the 7 year, 100,000 mile warranty.

Like others have said, a warranty should start the DAY you bought the car.

If the dealer offers you a 1 year extended warranty, thats essentially if you bought a brand new car and the warranty started on the first day that you bought it. Which is fine, if the dealership didnt pull a fast one on you. But they did and you caught them and there needs to be something done to rectify the situation.

If it were me, there would be 2 options

1) Get a free extended warranty, 7 years, 100,000 miles. Not a 1 year extended warranty.

If they dont do that:

2) Call infiniti corporate and show them the document where they checked "new" and didnt check "used" or "demo" and tell them that they presented the car to you as new, not as a demo and even lied on the paperwork.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:13 PM
nitromt

Originally Posted by ontheline
Long story short, I bought a left over '09 coupe for a very good price in March 2010. It had 350-400 miles on it, I was told that was from test drives (approx 1 mile for every day on their lot).

All paperwork says 'new' car, but what was never disclosed was the fact that this was their demo unit that they had officially put 'in-service' summer of 2009. This means the warranty had about 1 year expired on it when they sold it to me 'new'. The demo/warranty situation was never disclosed at any time during the sale and is not noted on any paperwork.

When I notified the dealership to express my concerns (I thought it was just a mistake on the 'in-service' date), first they would not respond. Only after multiple emails and my second in-person visit did I find out it was a demo. Only after I raised my voice in the showroom in front of other customers did they offer to purchase an extended warranty. This was after telling me that since it was never titled, it was in fact 'new' and while they should have disclosed the demo status and warranty start date, they weren't going to do anything else but offer the extended warranty.

When I mentioned it was fraud to sell a car like that, all I got was a smug smile from the sales manager while he assured me it was no such thing.

Is the extended warranty as good as the factory? Is it transferable? Does it cover the same items? I've presented the manager with these questions, but my emails again go un-answered. Is there a customer information/complaint line for Infiniti Corporate?
I think you should go after them just based on principle. If they believe that there is a great chance a buyer will go after them legally, then it provides less incentive to attempt to scam customers. You may not benefit after you factor in all costs, but you might save someone an arm and a leg later.

BTW, why don't you post the name and location of that dealership so we all know to stay away from them.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Not sure what state you are in... Sounds like they concealed a material fact? Maybe you can resend the contract if they don't comp you the 7/100. Let us know the name of the dealer if / when you can. I don't want to send a friend there if they don't treat you right.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:11 AM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to break it to you, and REALLY PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but I think technically a demo is still considered new... cause a car isn't considered used until you register the vehicle with the state and a demo is not.

hey if you got the car w/ 350 miles on it for a steal, hell that's still a deal. take the extended warranty and make sure they give you a value for it. (don't get the warranty for 0 dollars)

Last edited by mw09g37; 05-11-2010 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:00 PM
ontheline

Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
Don't people read the docs you sign? EVERY car I have bought they go over the mileage and when the warranty expires. You may want to look at those papers.
wow, kinda harsh. if YOU read the post you would see they sold it as new with full warranty, even their signed sales paperwork says so, that's why I had a problem with this.

End story, got the extended warranty at no cost to me, but only after a certified letter drafted by a lawyer to the GM. Basically read; provide the warranty sold or arrange a date for the car to be dropped off (now with 3000 miles) and give me my money plus expenses back.

The warranty retails for a few thousand, not sure on the dealer cost, but I'm happy now.

As far as sticking it to them, I will leave word of mouth to do that. I live in a small city and I work for one of the bigger employers in the area. I've already heard my own story repeated back to me when I said I bought an Infiniti.

I'm not going to call out the dealer by name, but I live in Charleston, SC and didn't have to leave town to buy the car.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:20 PM
JohnnyCham
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
in service date should start when the car gets titled. but other than that, he still lost almost a full year of Bumper to Bumper warranty.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:31 PM
cbwyatt14

the extended warranty is supposed to be as good as the regular warranty so long as you have the wrap around coverage.