Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Destination Charge, Transportation Fee, "Sealant"

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 10:36 PM
LSUtigerME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Destination Charge, Transportation Fee, "Sealant"

I visited my dealer today to talk about pricing on a new G37 Coupe. I'm a VPP customer, so I thought the process would be simple, easy, and painless.

I'm looking for a specific combination that wasn't in stock. He said he located one "in port" in California that he could get for me. However, he wanted me to pay a $1400 transportation fee to deliver it from Cali. to Louisiana. This is in addition to the $865 destination charge that is already included in the price of vehicle. Which means I would be paying $2300 just to have the car delivered to me.

In addition to this, I was being asked to pay a $750 charge for a "sealant" to be applied to the vehicle. This was apparently a paint & interior protection system that was warrantied for 7 years. I was told this was NOT optional.

I was given the VPP sample calculation, and all-in-all these markups put the car $2300 over what it should have cost (listed under "Dealer-added options"). All the other numbers on the VPP sheet were right in line, and he'd have had a sale if not for the $2300.

Did any of you guys have to pay an additional +$1000 charge to deliver the vehicle, or have "sealant" applied (for $750)? I'm gonna call another dealer tomorrow, but I just wanted to make sure I'm sane in thinking this is a little over the top.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Bx_KaotiK

i have never heard of sealant at any dealer i went to so i bet thats bs. What kind of vpp do u have? i know my b class vpp covers delivery i heard c and d does not. did u also get the incentives taken out of price? 2010 g37 get 1500 off but if u take there low apr loan its 0 off price. the 09 g37 gets 3000 off or if u go with low apr its only 1500 off.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:31 AM
LSUtigerME

I'm pretty sure the sealant charge is BS and optional.

I normally have a D plan discount, however with the current special, I have a B plan code.

I'm not applying incentives at this point. These charges are coming in before the incentives. I'm planning to use the APR rather than the $1500 off. However, I do qualify for the Signature Grad Program, but I can't find any details of this. Not sure if that'll get me a low APR and allow me to use the incentives, or if it's an additional rebate.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:33 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
From one Tiger to another, you are getting hosed. The "sealant" is pure scam, and it is not a port option - you don't have to get it. I'll detail and seal your car 10x better for less than half that, drive to Houston.

I ordered mine to get the exact options and colors I wanted and there was a mix up on the options. I only discovered this when the car was coming into the port (long story). The dealer located another car at the port destined for a Chicago dealership and arranged a swap since it wasn't already sold. No additional charge.

Drive to the next dealership.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:47 PM
LSUtigerME

They called me back first thing this morning to try to make good. Told me he had a similar vehicle in a different color so I could drop the transport fee, then he said that "maybe we could split the charge". This was all on my voicemail.

Anyway, I called another dealer about an hour from here. She even told me it was all BS, if it in fact was "at port". In addition, all their fees are $509, which includes the sealant ($750 at other dealer), wheel locks, details, etc. So, as of right now I'm dealing with them.

However, since it's a specific combo she's tagging one for me that's on the way. Should be here early April. I'm trying to use the current months incentives, including the VPP incentive. The APR incentive is no problem, but the dealer told me I'd have to confirm in writing from Nissan that they would extend the B Plan VPP until the car arrived. They're not open today, so I'll have to wait until Monday to confirm this.

Black Betty, did you encounter any issues with ordering the car? Like when it comes to applying incentives across the months?
Old 03-13-2010, 07:33 PM
rlb
Registered Member

Don't pay for any sealant. It is a total BS charge. If they tell you is mandatory or has already been applied then tell them it is a BS charge that you are not paying for it. If they don't give in then walk out. You also shouldn't have to pay any delivery charge except for the destination charge which is on the window sticker. They should be able to swap or trade with another dealer.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:50 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I ordered at the initial G37 launch in '07, so there wasn't a lot going on in the way of incentives then. I ordered because I wasn't in a hurry to get the car right away, and it was nearly impossible to find the color/options combination I wanted with an OEM spoiler (anyone remember how hard they were to order at first?). I got low financing rate through IFS, either 1.9% or 2.9% I don't remember. My dealership experience and salesman were fantastic when I bought, no pressure, no BS gave me everything I asked for and more. No issues at all with ordering vs buying off the lot. All they asked was a $500 deposit when placing the order.

I'm not eligible for any VPP so that wasn't an issue.