Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Lease Return - General Q's

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:11 PM
bloodhound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lease Return - General Q's

Hey everyone,
Will be returning my G37 in soon, wanted to know past experiences etc from others that have.

I got the car inspected a week or so ago. I have a report that says $0.00 in overages (althought I doubt this really means I have $0 in overages). Some notes about bug sprayed on front bumper & some smudges on the doors (which I cant see). Granted the car was dirty since it rained the days before. A regular car wash and I think you'd be hard pressed to find smudges, bugs etc.

So quick Q's (I know I should ask Infiniti - just wanted to hear peoples feedback from their experiences)
Can I return the car at any dealer?
Does it have to be in before a certain time on the day its due?
Will someone reinspect the car the day I take it in?
How do overages work once its turned in? Whats not to say someone dings my car after its turned in and they try to charge me for it?
What was your past experience(s) with brakes / tires / curb rash etc?
Do I just hand the keys & inspection report to someone and call it a day?
Do I have to erase / wipe all the stuff from harddrive (music / stored navigation etc) Or will they do it and charge me for it?

Thanks in advance guys.

I've set aside a fund - just in case fund if you will - just being overly precautious.
Wish I didnt have to return the car but unfortunately I will be moving and the car is too much of a headache at that point. Its been an awesome experience - will be back one day...
Old 10-14-2009, 11:21 PM
gan78mao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
moving back to asia?
i dont know if infiniti charge restocking fee or not, but ive heard otehr dealeships such as mercedes and bmw charge 500 dollars basic fees restocking fee or somethign like that.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
1. Yes, you can return at any dealer. Take your inspection with you, and all manuals, both keys, etc. 0.00 in overages = everything is covered, and you do not owe for excessive wear and tear or damages.

The notes you see are for reference when the car will be reconditioned to be sold as a used (and possibly certified) car.

2. It has to be on or before the maturity date of your lease. You can return it anytime after your final payment has been made.

3. No. It has already been inspected.

4. Unless there is substantial damage, or you go crazy on miles and go over, you will nto be charged.

5. You have already been charged ZERO for damages. Don't stress it. "normal" wear and tear is all covered. Just how a used car will not be perfect when you buy it, they don't expect a used car to come back in perfect condition.

6. Yes, you typically make an appointment with the individual at the dealership who manages lease returns. You give them the keys, they check miles, you sign a document releasing the car to the dealer to hold onto the vehicle until Infiniti comes to pick it up.

7. No, but you probably want to delete all personal information.

It looks like you leased your car before Infiniti added the fee at the end of the lease. I believe this happened roughly a year ago.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Former USMC

Originally Posted by bloodhound
Hey everyone,
Will be returning my G37 in soon, wanted to know past experiences etc from others that have.

I got the car inspected a week or so ago. I have a report that says $0.00 in overages (althought I doubt this really means I have $0 in overages). Some notes about bug sprayed on front bumper & some smudges on the doors (which I cant see). Granted the car was dirty since it rained the days before. A regular car wash and I think you'd be hard pressed to find smudges, bugs etc.

So quick Q's (I know I should ask Infiniti - just wanted to hear peoples feedback from their experiences)
Can I return the car at any dealer?
Does it have to be in before a certain time on the day its due?
Will someone reinspect the car the day I take it in?
How do overages work once its turned in? Whats not to say someone dings my car after its turned in and they try to charge me for it?
What was your past experience(s) with brakes / tires / curb rash etc?
Do I just hand the keys & inspection report to someone and call it a day?
Do I have to erase / wipe all the stuff from harddrive (music / stored navigation etc) Or will they do it and charge me for it?

Thanks in advance guys.

I've set aside a fund - just in case fund if you will - just being overly precautious.
Wish I didnt have to return the car but unfortunately I will be moving and the car is too much of a headache at that point. Its been an awesome experience - will be back one day...
Bloodhound,

I just returned a FX35. I received an inspection from a third party company hired by Infiniti.

A couple of things they closely inspect - tires and dings. You are allowed 5/32 on the tires; 4/32 and you will be charged for a new tire. Dealers/inspectors don't care if you have four different tires (one Infiniti had a Bridgestone, Pirelli, BF Goodrich and a Continental - don't ask). You can even have bigger tires than stock as long as they are in good condition.

You are also allowed three dings per panel. On the FX35, there are four panels per side. Front fender, front door, rear door and rear panel. Therefore, you are allowed a staggering 12 door dings. You should have received a Infiniti Wear and Use Assessment Key for better clarification.

At the dealership, make sure the dealer gives you an odometer statement. Make the dealer go on line and send DMV notice that you are no longer the owner. They will not always do this. Although, you may be able to do it on line (I don't know). Just let the dealer do it for you.

Contact your insurance company and let them know you are no longer the owner - you will get a refund (if you pay annually). They may require you fax the odometer statement from the dealer; however, some insurance companies will not require this step.

Don't forget your CDs and erase your garage door settings. The dealer will assist if you ask.

I would also delete your home address if you've entered that in the navigation system. I would never put my home address in any navigation system. Why? Someone steals your car, enters the home address, goes to your house, presses the garage door opener and presto - they're in. Okay, they could probably get it from your registration card in your glove box.

Now the fun part - go get another new car.

Semper Fi
Old 11-01-2009, 09:43 PM
bloodhound

Its interesting you mention tires & dings.
There is not a single ding i am aware of on the car.
Tires is a borderline story.
I was told by the rep I was at borderline. As per the inspection report I was at 5/32. I did inform him of my plan to drive & he said as long as I didnt end up driving in miami, i should be okay for my trip (I did inform him of the distance).
I have since driven 1600 miles. Might add another 250 or so before the car gets turned in.
Original tires (car will go in at 27k miles - lease allowed is 30k miles)
I have not done burnouts etc.
Apparently its $300 per tire flat priced (which is cheaper than buying tires online & separate installation - how that is I do not know)
My other concern is borderline curb rash. He mentioned $140 per wheel for that - 2 potential suspects.
Honestly the car has been babied, and is under miles on return, its wishful thinking that they will balance / offset but realistically I think they will nickel & dime every last cent they can.

I absolutely loved the car. I do not want to get rid of it.
But numbers wise it just isnt a smart decision (have my own business).
$450 / month + gas + insurance + garage (in new location) = $700 a month
Id rather invest the $700/mo in my business.
I will get another some day, just a matter of which day.
Originally Posted by Former USMC
Bloodhound,

I just returned a FX35. I received an inspection from a third party company hired by Infiniti.

A couple of things they closely inspect - tires and dings. You are allowed 5/32 on the tires; 4/32 and you will be charged for a new tire. Dealers/inspectors don't care if you have four different tires (one Infiniti had a Bridgestone, Pirelli, BF Goodrich and a Continental - don't ask). You can even have bigger tires than stock as long as they are in good condition.

You are also allowed three dings per panel. On the FX35, there are four panels per side. Front fender, front door, rear door and rear panel. Therefore, you are allowed a staggering 12 door dings. You should have received a Infiniti Wear and Use Assessment Key for better clarification.

At the dealership, make sure the dealer gives you an odometer statement. Make the dealer go on line and send DMV notice that you are no longer the owner. They will not always do this. Although, you may be able to do it on line (I don't know). Just let the dealer do it for you.

Contact your insurance company and let them know you are no longer the owner - you will get a refund (if you pay annually). They may require you fax the odometer statement from the dealer; however, some insurance companies will not require this step.

Don't forget your CDs and erase your garage door settings. The dealer will assist if you ask.

I would also delete your home address if you've entered that in the navigation system. I would never put my home address in any navigation system. Why? Someone steals your car, enters the home address, goes to your house, presses the garage door opener and presto - they're in. Okay, they could probably get it from your registration card in your glove box.

Semper Fi
Old 12-16-2009, 12:13 AM
Kev G37S

I don't mean to jack this thread but I don't feel like to open another new thread regarding my questions.

1. how about curb rashes? I have pretty bad curb rash on the passenger rims.
2. When is the best time to call for inspection?
3. It does sounds fishy that they inspect the car not on the day you actually returning the car because what if you make another damage after the car is inspected?

Thanks.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I’ve returned two leased cars, both to the same Infiniti dealership. The first was 2000 Maxima where I picked up a leased 2004 G35 coupe, and the second was when I turned in the G35 to purchase my current 2008 G37 Coupe.

I guess because I was getting a new car at this dealer, in both instances there was no inspection or hassle in any way. I just threw them the keys as we completed paperwork on the new cars. Of course the turned in cars were in excellent shape which may have helped in the transitions.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:38 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

On damage I was under the impression they used the "credit card" test. Any dings smaller than a credit card were deemed reasonable.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:28 AM
STEP_IT_UP
Registered Member

1. Nissan charge 140 a wheel for curb rashes repairs over 2". If the wheels or wheelcovers are damage to a point that can't be repaired a full replacement charge will be applied. Ex bent, gouge and crack
2. Call Alliance Inspection Management aka AIM a week or 2 in advance before your due date. Always have the vehicle inspected at your home before you drop it off at a dealership. If there's excessive wear found on the vehicle you have the option getting repairs done before you return it.
3. The inspection is valid for 90 days for home. Unless there's major damage to the vehicle that isn't noticed on the original inspection report cause they go by the images at the point of the inspection.

Originally Posted by Kev G37S
I don't mean to jack this thread but I don't feel like to open another new thread regarding my questions.

1. how about curb rashes? I have pretty bad curb rash on the passenger rims.
2. When is the best time to call for inspection?
3. It does sounds fishy that they inspect the car not on the day you actually returning the car because what if you make another damage after the car is inspected?

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:38 AM
STEP_IT_UP
Registered Member

Only chrysler and mercedes bens go by the size of a credit card for scratches and dents. Nissan allows 3 dents per panel up to a 1 1/2" each not on beauty line of the panel and dents not breaking the paint surface. Scratches that could be buffed out are consider normal wear. Scratches through the paint or catch with finger nails are consider excessive wear.
Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
On damage I was under the impression they used the "credit card" test. Any dings smaller than a credit card were deemed reasonable.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:47 AM
STEP_IT_UP
Registered Member

Tires below 4/32 is consider worn require replacement. All tires have to be the same size and speed rating going by the label on vehicle or else it's a mismatch that will require replacement safety issue. Mismatch tire brands are allowed.

Originally Posted by Former USMC
Bloodhound,

Semper Fi
Old 12-31-2009, 02:32 AM
Kev G37S

hey, just a quick update from the inspection I had a 2 days ago. They marked 1 dent on the rear quarter panel, 1 scratch on the front bumper, 2 scratches on the wheels, no need to replace the tires, 400 miles under, and $0 charge at the end of inspection. the inspector told me he wishes all the car are this clean!! lol
Well, I hate to give it back to the dealer but the time is up and I will always miss it.
Cheers!!
Old 12-31-2009, 06:38 PM
STEP_IT_UP
Registered Member

I guess you got a pretty clean car since everything came out to be normal wear & use.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:45 PM
marsb007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about you check for yourself...

And BTW, the limit for tires is less than 4/32 or 1/8 (.125)...

http://www.infinitiusa.com/pdf/finan..._Use_Guide.pdf
Old 01-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Kev G37S

Maturity date is Jan. 25/2010. There is a payment for Jan.? because I haven't receive any statement for Jan.

Quick Reply: Lease Return - General Q's