Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Extended Warrranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 11:56 PM
finchler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended Warrranty

Does anyone have any thoughts on buying the extended warranty? I just picked up a 2009 G37x Sedan today and was given the sales pitch on the plan. Covers from years 5 through 7 (or miles 60,001 to 100,000). Was offered to me with a $100 deductible for like $1,700, which was purportedly a 20% discount from the regular price. Was also told I could return and purchase it for 60 days at regular price ($2,200).

I am not a big fan of extended warranty plans, although I recognize that parts to break down. Just curious as to whether people bought this and - if so - what they paid and what deductible they have.

Todd
Old 09-11-2009, 05:42 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
How long do you plan on keeping the car? If you plan on keeping her and not modifying her hardcore then go for it.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:58 AM
wireboltman

There is absolutely no reason to pay for two warranties at the same time.

You've already paid for the warranty that comes with it.
It's part of the price of the car.

Also:
Any bolt on modification will not void the warranty, unless they can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that a particular modification directly caused the problem you might be having.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:32 AM
MaxdOut

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Once thing to remember is the car is computer on wheels....

If you sell early, you can get a refund on the remaining years on the extended warranty.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Speedy G

Keep your money

I wouldn't purchase an extended warranty and here is why.

1) Your G comes with 4 years and 60,000 miles (whichever comes first) and unless you drive a ton of miles, it should last you four years. Purchasing an extended warranty for $1700-$2000 will only net you 40,000 extra miles. If the car came with the standard 3yr/36,000 miles I might look at it a litte more closely. Infiniti warranties are expensive.

2) I looked into it as well but just can't justify the price. I paid $1675 for a $100 deductible last week on my new 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie that I purchased back in May and the warranty I purchased is a non-transferrable LIFETIME Bumper-to-Bumper warranty with unlimited miles and years.

Hold on to your money. You're better served investing that money right now.

Later,
Jason

Originally Posted by finchler
Does anyone have any thoughts on buying the extended warranty? I just picked up a 2009 G37x Sedan today and was given the sales pitch on the plan. Covers from years 5 through 7 (or miles 60,001 to 100,000). Was offered to me with a $100 deductible for like $1,700, which was purportedly a 20% discount from the regular price. Was also told I could return and purchase it for 60 days at regular price ($2,200).

I am not a big fan of extended warranty plans, although I recognize that parts to break down. Just curious as to whether people bought this and - if so - what they paid and what deductible they have.

Todd
Old 09-11-2009, 10:00 AM
wireboltman

Originally Posted by MaxdOut
Once thing to remember is the car is computer on wheels....

If you sell early, you can get a refund on the remaining years on the extended warranty.
If you trade the car in, you will get no credit for the extended warranty and, of course, it doesn't transfer to a new owner.
It just ends right there, and your out whatever's left in the package.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:04 AM
MaxdOut

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wireboltman
If you trade the car in, you will get no credit for the extended warranty and, of course, it doesn't transfer to a new owner.
It just ends right there, and your out whatever's left in the package.
Call and cancel the warranty before you trade in.... prorated refund.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:43 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Although I'm not a fan of extended warranties when it comes to electronics (especially in automobiles) I would recommend it.

I paid about $1600 for the 7yr/100K (I believe $50 deductible). That extends bumper/bumper coverage for an additional 3yr/40K above the basic warranty. A single electronic component failure can easily cost $700 and with the multiple on-board computer modules, NAV, Hard Drive, Auto HVAC, seat memory, etc.... the chance of a problem increases. I'd rather include it in the price of the car than deal with surprise bills later so personally I thought it was worth it. From experience with similar car systems I feel the risk for an expensive problem is there.

Do what you feel is best for you.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:39 AM
wireboltman

Originally Posted by MaxdOut
Call and cancel the warranty before you trade in.... prorated refund.

Now why didn't I think of that when I traded in my FX to get this car?
I guess I didn't know you could do that and they certainly weren't about to tell me.
I've never traded a car in before.

I bought an extended 3/36 Elite warranty for the FX because my closest dealer is 300 miles away.
It's about $2,200.00 flat bed charge to get it there and back should there be a problem that requirers the Consult.
I had the MAF sensor go on November 30, 2006. About 5F and pretty miserable.
Regular diagnostics couldn't find the problem and besides that, it was still under warranty.
But I have to get it there to be serviced-
The Elite warranty covered the expense both ways, and they even went so far as to stick a G35x on the back of the flat bed and delivered a loaner to me on the return trip back here.
Pretty nice of them since I bought the car on Ebay.

I could have a $100.00 repair and a $2,200.00 flat bed charge.
This is the only extended warranty I've ever bought in my life.
It cost me $1,900.00 2.5 yrs ago.
.05 per mile insurance.
I bought it with 59,956 miles on the car.
There was 9,000 miles or March 10, 2010 left. Looks like I left about $316.00 on the table.

As I said earlier---there's no sense paying twice for the same warranty.
You're further ahead to invest that money, in my opinion.
I certainly was.

Well............maybe not considering that 316 bucks-

Last edited by wireboltman; 09-11-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:45 AM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ask for $0 deductible if you want to get the extended warranty. It's what I have.

I got it just in case I decided to keep it loooong term. Also, very importantly, for the peace of mind. Things tend to break more easily the longer you have them. Besides, if you're going to be making monthly payments, can't they roll the cost of extended warranty into the monthly?
Old 09-11-2009, 01:04 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Everyone says "bumper to bumper"

I suggest you read your warranty terms closely, as there is no such thing. There is a very specific list of components covered, and that is IT.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Speedy G

It's called an exclusionary warranty. The common term is bumper to bumper and it basically does cover EVERYTHING except for wear and tear items such as brake pads, fluid changes, tires, exhaust, belts, etc. There's definitely no warranty that covers every single piece of the car but I think that's common knowledge everyone understands. What you're talking about with respect to "a very specific list of components covered" is different than what I'm talking about. That's a much cheaper and less comprehensive warranty.

Jason
Originally Posted by Mike
Everyone says "bumper to bumper"

I suggest you read your warranty terms closely, as there is no such thing. There is a very specific list of components covered, and that is IT.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:23 PM
wireboltman

The extended Elite Warranty is identical to the original warranty-
Old 09-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wireboltman
The extended Elite Warranty is identical to the original warranty-
It is NOT identical

Infiniti Elite Extended Warranty Protection Plan - Infiniti USA

I quote:

Created exclusively for Infiniti vehicles, this comprehensive plan covers nearly everything beyond your regularly scheduled maintenance, for up to 7 years or 100,000 miles from the vehicle’s original delivery date. Plus, it includes car rental coverage and an extension of your standard 4-year Roadside Assistance coverage.
I dare you to actually read the brochure you were given when you purchased it.

Originally Posted by Speedy G
It's called an exclusionary warranty. The common term is bumper to bumper and it basically does cover EVERYTHING except for wear and tear items such as brake pads, fluid changes, tires, exhaust, belts, etc. There's definitely no warranty that covers every single piece of the car but I think that's common knowledge everyone understands. What you're talking about with respect to "a very specific list of components covered" is different than what I'm talking about. That's a much cheaper and less comprehensive warranty.

Jason
There is an exact list (albeit, a rather large one) of exactly what is covered by the Elite Extended Protection Plan. Contact your dealer's F&I dept for it, if they even have one on hand. Typically they don't because they don't want customers looking for a specific part that they've had problems with on previous vehicles.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:04 PM
wireboltman

I'm sitting here with the original paperwork in my hand, and all I can tell you is that on 3/5/2007, sitting eyeball to eyeball with the guy that sold it to me, I asked him point blank if this was the identical warranty.
He insisted it was identical.
I paid $1,891.00 at that time.
We've had this discussion ad nauseam on my FX forum. People from other parts of the country have been told the same thing.
I guess it's possible the guy was flat out lying to me.

Well, I just called the dealership in Madison and talked to the warranty guy. Naturally, he's not the same guy I talked to a couple yrs ago.
He told me his understanding of the "nearly" verbage is that certain "ornamental" items, such a button on a seat cushion or an emblom are what that means.
I still maintain I was told it was identical.

Nevertheless, I was wrong in stating it was identical.
I apologize.

I also asked him about my FX warranty and prorating the difference.
He said I could still do that and I, just now, faxed him down the original paperwork.
Funny why he didn't mention that to me two weeks ago when I was sitting in his office.
We'll see what happens.

Thanks, MaxdOut-

Last edited by wireboltman; 09-11-2009 at 06:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Extended Warrranty