Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

G37 auto or stick?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 01:52 AM
ZACHSQUATCH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The G is a mix between luxury and performance. Anyone who thinks its unusual to see that car mated with a 7at OR 5at is simply crazy.

The manual trans is a dying age. Technology is leaving them in the dust. There will always be die hard manual tranny fans (Hell, I will be one of them), but realistically, we humans can't compete against a computer when it comes to shifting.

My 6 spd RX8 is a fun car to drive in the twisties, but anywhere else and it's a chore. I said to myself, after having my last 3 cars all be stick shift, my NEXT car WILL be auto. And here we are with my 5at G.

Do I care that the stick shift may be faster??? yeah it irks me a little bit.

But when that 6 spd goes passing by, and I am talking on the phone via bluetooth, getting voice guidance directions from my lovely navigation assistant (I call her Susan), and eating lunch all at the same time cuz I have a free hand to do it, I cant help but crack a smile.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:17 AM
mygyott37

in my opinion i regret not getting 6mt bc auto is basically simple its u just pushing the gas and in 6mt u have to knw how to do stuff and in certain position which makes the car fun to drive more of a challenge and u get more of power wit it!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:06 PM
w0ady

less than 10% of these cars are sold with manuals these days from what ive read/heard.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:54 PM
Davis81387

There are a lot of mixed opinions out there. Thanks for all the feedback. I will test both of them out when I go to the dealership. I will be keeping my I30 as a daily driver and the G will be my "weekend car." I am very interested in the new 7at but being that it just came out, there aren't any used ones and I don't want to buy brand new because it's gonna depreciate by the thousands in a short amount of time...
Old 02-03-2009, 06:59 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Davis81387
There are a lot of mixed opinions out there. Thanks for all the feedback. I will test both of them out when I go to the dealership. I will be keeping my I30 as a daily driver and the G will be my "weekend car." I am very interested in the new 7at but being that it just came out, there aren't any used ones and I don't want to buy brand new because it's gonna depreciate by the thousands in a short amount of time...
that's how all automobile purchases turn out! cars aren't an investment... they are just toys that suck up money
Old 02-19-2009, 04:11 AM
joey_v

Stick of course....

Just got a G37....

Test drove the auto, what a let down. Lag, slow, no control... atleast that's how I felt. The auto-shift or whatever they call it felt like a toy or atleast something that'll distract you for a few and give you a sense that you're driving a stick, but it is still a fail in my book.

I'm not the best stick driver, but the stick is a much better experience to me.

I feel that driving an auto in this car segment is inexcusable if you have the ability to learn how to drive a stick. Drive an auto sports car and you're merely steering the car, drive it in stick and you're actually driving the car.

You have more control, more stuff to learn, more to look forward to as you improve your manual shifting abilities.

When I first learned, I learned it on a G35 coupe 03, it was brutal... I would kill the engine at nearly every stop sign and even the slightest hill would stall me.... but you learn.

The G37 is a MUCH easier car to drive in stick versus the predecessor G35 coupe. The G37's clutch is lot softer and less heavy.

Of course, it's not like driving a Civic Si or RSX, those guys have rubber-band clutches, you can't miss with those. Go karts...

Go for stick. At first you'll hate it, but after a while, you'll love it.

Good luck!
Old 02-19-2009, 04:13 AM
joey_v

Originally Posted by ZACHSQUATCH
Do I care that the stick shift may be faster??? yeah it irks me a little bit.
But when that 6 spd goes passing by, and I am talking on the phone via bluetooth, getting voice guidance directions from my lovely navigation assistant (I call her Susan), and eating lunch all at the same time cuz I have a free hand to do it, I cant help but crack a smile.
We all know that eating and manual transmission are not independent of each other.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:31 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had/currently have a 5AT but my car is likely totalled. If I go with another G, I think I'm going 6MT for the more sport factor. Not sure yet. Either way you can't go wrong. The 5AT/7AT with Paddle Shifters is HOT. I love my paddle shifter and they do not SUCK.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Keng

Originally Posted by Blackjack
I've had/currently have a 5AT but my car is likely totalled. If I go with another G, I think I'm going 6MT for the more sport factor. Not sure yet. Either way you can't go wrong. The 5AT/7AT with Paddle Shifters is HOT. I love my paddle shifter and they do not SUCK.
Agreed. I love the paddle shifter
Old 02-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Davis81387

I've already got my car... picked it up Monday... I went with a fully loaded 5/AT not b/c I didn't want to learn how to drive stick but because of availaiblity and an unbeatable price. (About $6,000 below kbb) I disagree with those who say the auto is slow. Mine performs just fine and I am very satisfied. No doubt, the 6MT has quicker acceleration than the auto but I do not feel like my auto is a complete waste. I didn't buy the car to race it everyday and I don't think the paddle shifters suck either. It's all about personal preference IMO and I am lovin my auto. However, If I could've gotten a 6MT with low mileage/price combination I probably would've done it.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:52 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

in terms of driving, most 6MT drivers aren't up to par with f1 drivers and such, the 6MT shouldn't be any faster than a 5 AT... maybe by BARELY, but it's the same car... i don't understand how you guys are saying the 6MT is faster than a 5AT...
Old 02-19-2009, 05:31 PM
ZACHSQUATCH

Originally Posted by aliiin
in terms of driving, most 6MT drivers aren't up to par with f1 drivers and such, the 6MT shouldn't be any faster than a 5 AT... maybe by BARELY, but it's the same car... i don't understand how you guys are saying the 6MT is faster than a 5AT...
different gearing
Old 02-19-2009, 05:38 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

well i guess i made myself unclear, yes it's different gearing, but it's not THAT SIGNIFICANT... yes they will clearly have different 0-60 but it's almost the same time. from what i read it seems like people are saying there is huge difference in performance from a 6MT and 5AT, which isn't true?
Old 02-20-2009, 04:37 PM
SilverRSXJezus

Manual transmission cars will have more whp than automatic transmissions due to the lack of a torque converter, less losses.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Remo101

6mt is the only way to go in my humble opinion. Not because people think it's cooler, but because you have more control over your car. In a controlled area off public streets , you can better control a drift or power slide. You can corner better with heal-toe driving. You can launch better by being able to control the RPMs before you let out the clutch.

More sophisticated cars like the Nissan GT-R, various Ferraris, and many others have manual automatic gear boxes with technology to overcome these downfalls. They have launch controls, etc. that enable them to be faster then their MT counterparts. This is the only case in were I would get a automatic. My next car maybe .

An auto G37 is OK if you don't plan to push to car to it's limits or don't have the required skill to drive a MT to take full advantage of what the car can offer. I don't hate on auto drivers it's just not for me.

Quick Reply: G37 auto or stick?