Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

G37 auto or stick?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 03:26 PM
willizm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you want to get stick then get it. Not knowing how to drive stick didn't stop me and I have no regrets. I learned at the dealer realy quick and haven't regretted getting stick. I only regret not learning how to drive manual earlier in life.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Is the month up? I mean we usually get a stick vs. manual thread at least once a month around here. And I guess we’ll get another regular vs. premium thread soon too, or someone once again asking how much air to put in their tires. Come on, aren't these threads getting a bit “old?”
Old 02-01-2009, 05:07 PM
willizm

Originally Posted by Chekov
Is the week up? I mean we usually get a exhaust A vs. exhaust B thread at least once a week around here.
fixed
Old 02-01-2009, 05:52 PM
VIP G

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
well get the 6MT its lots of fun... i've been in lyndon's car and it does pull with paddle shifters... IMO I'd def get the 6MT but its a G37 either way
Old 02-01-2009, 07:39 PM
andromeda

Is this going to be your daily driver? If yes get yourself an automatic, you will get REALLY bored and tired shifting...I have been driving stick almost all my life (coming from Europe) and tell you is fun but not when you comute. Period.

-A
Old 02-01-2009, 08:07 PM
jackson_here

Automobile Magazine Article

Has anyone read the UPSHIFT section of Automobile Magazine Vol. 23 NO. 12 page 75? The article reviews the 2008 g37s coupe (completely loaded) after 1 year of driving on a 6mt. The car had 24,504 miles after diriving for 1 year in summer/snow conditions. Most of the problems/complaints they stated had to do with the manual transmission and it having "lack of refinement."

In the last paragraph they said and I quote "We likely would have much peferred the G37 if we had spent even more money on an automatic transmission. The two-pedal G doesn't suffer from the dysfuntional clutch/throttle relationship, and the automatic transmission dramatically reduces the amount of engine harshness and vibration that makes it into the cabin" Then they go on to mention the 09 7at auto that should be quicker and smoother.

You guys should read that article and judge for yourself. I am not biased against MT on this car nor do I believe that you can judge the 6mt based on 1 article alone. However, I do like to hear/read non-biased reviews on a car I am going to purchase. My two cents.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:24 PM
nogoodname
Banned

Old 02-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Wongster
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jackson_here
Has anyone read the UPSHIFT section of Automobile Magazine Vol. 23 NO. 12 page 75? The article reviews the 2008 g37s coupe (completely loaded) after 1 year of driving on a 6mt. The car had 24,504 miles after diriving for 1 year in summer/snow conditions. Most of the problems/complaints they stated had to do with the manual transmission and it having "lack of refinement."

In the last paragraph they said and I quote "We likely would have much peferred the G37 if we had spent even more money on an automatic transmission. The two-pedal G doesn't suffer from the dysfuntional clutch/throttle relationship, and the automatic transmission dramatically reduces the amount of engine harshness and vibration that makes it into the cabin" Then they go on to mention the 09 7at auto that should be quicker and smoother.

You guys should read that article and judge for yourself. I am not biased against MT on this car nor do I believe that you can judge the 6mt based on 1 article alone. However, I do like to hear/read non-biased reviews on a car I am going to purchase. My two cents.
I had a '07 G35S 6MT sedan and currently own a '09 G37S 6MT sedan. I have to say that the '07's 6MT sucked. It was difficult to drive smoothly, the clutch engagement point was too high and it just sounded clunky. It seems like they have improved the 6MT as the '09 is easy to drive smoothly, the clutch engagement is much better and it doesn't make as much noise as the '07 did. That said, the shifter still vibrates at idle.

As for the original poster, make sure you drive the 7AT and the 6MT for extended periods before you buy your G37. If you feel comfortable enough with the 6MT, get it, otherwise get the 7AT. It all comes down to personal preference. Good luck!
Old 02-02-2009, 12:43 AM
kg37

Originally Posted by w0ady
wow i dont see how you people can say theres no "fun" driving an auto? i rag the hell out of my auto with no problems. i chirp tires at almost every shift near redline. i push my car harder than most manual owners i know. anyone who has been to zdayz or driven with us on fl cruises know that. the cocky manual attitude is just as bad as bmw owners who think their cars are better because of a brand name.
+1 every one of these threads turn out to be pointless because people start with the 'it's manual or nothing BS". Honestly...it's getting old (and I used to be a big MT fanboy myself).

Last edited by kg37; 02-02-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:47 AM
Wongster
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Davis81387
Thanks for your opinions and advice. Sorry to change the subject but just one more question. Does anyone have the technology package on their cars? I was wondering if intelligent cruise control and the adaptive headlights are worth the money and can they be switched on and off?
I had the technology package on my '07 and also have it on my '09. While they're nice to have options, it's not something you really need. With regard to the cruise control, you can use it in ICC mode or regular cruise control. And yes, there is an on and off button for the adaptive headlights.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:54 PM
w0ady

1. if you bought a 6mt because OTHER people think its cooler then work on your self esteem.

2. yes there's a delay in the auto shifting but guess what - just shift earlier.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:27 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Buy what you'll be comfortable driving. If you're thinking you may regret not buying stick, it goes both ways. Driving MT through traffic sucks, so if this will be your daily driver and you live in a heavily populated area (i.e. L.A.), you may end up kicking yourself for not getting AT.

Comes down to personal preference.

As far as your tech package question goes, I think it's worth it, but that's just my opinion. I think the safety features alone are worth the additional premium, but others may disagree and think it's a waste of money. All your questions are equally arguable from both sides of the fence, so maybe you should just flip a coin
Old 02-03-2009, 12:37 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
One thing though, they can't rev-match downshift, which is fun and sounds cool too!
TransmissionElectronically controlled 7-speed automatic with Adaptive Shift Control (ASC). Manual shift mode offers sequentially selectable manual gearshifts and Downshift Rev Matching (DRM)
Old 02-03-2009, 12:48 AM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
I had stick shift on my previous car, and I absolutely HATED during my car in L.A. traffic, you won't know what I am talking about until your on the 405/10 freeway for 2 hours haha =)
Old 02-03-2009, 01:15 AM
Keng

Los Angeles Traffic >>>>>>>> Stick, and that's all I have to say about that.

Quick Reply: G37 auto or stick?