Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

"Transport Fee" From One Dealer to Another

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:46 PM
hebguy03
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Transport Fee" From One Dealer to Another

My dealer does not have in inventory the G37 coupe color/option combination I'm looking for (red/graphite - journey - automatic - premium). Since I'm trying to get a 2008 to get a better price, I know my alternatives are limited to what dealers have remaining in stock. There aren't that many red ones out there! I'm in Texas so there are a number of Houston and Dallas dealers.

On my own, I found one at a dealership 500 miles away that is close enough to what I'm looking for that I would consider it. My local dealer said they would get that car for me but indicated there would be a "transport fee" ($500) to transport the car.

Is that really accurate? Do dealers have to pay a transport fee to obtain a car from another dealer's inventory? I could take a road trip with a friend or just use miles to fly to the dealer, purchase from the dealer directly, and drive it back. A 500 mile road trip isn't that bad and it would probably cost less than $500 for that road trip.

On the other hand, purchasing from the local dealer, I would probably get better service "after the sale" in case there would be any issues. This local dealer (there are a few in the area) has really impressed me with their customer service.

They just aren't dealing on price. I'm looking for is at least invoice less $1000 incentive. Given that it's a 2008, I don't see that as unreasonable based on my research and bids I've received from dealers.

I've recevied one bid for $1,600 below invoice less $1,000 but that is a 14 hour road trip. This one is closer to what I'm looking for except it has the wheat interior.

Adjusting the $500 transport fee, the price they are offering is $750 OVER invoice less $1000 incentive if I don't take the financing. Besides price, is there anything else I can negotiate that is of true value since they aren't budging on price?

I'm driving myself crazy analyzing this.

Thoughts?? I need some outside opinions/perspectives as I've been shopping for 4 weeks now. I'm about ready to just forget the whole thing.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:01 AM
elite

In these times you should not pay any transport fees. Low ball them as much as you can or walk out the door. Red is very hard to come across in The Great State of Texas.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:03 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Transport fee, no such fee. No such costs between dealers.

If Dealer is having the car flat bedded then $500 is about that cost but you shouldn't pay more. You will always get a better deal on a vehicle that the dealer has inventoried vs. acquiring it from another dealer.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:10 AM
NIGHTLFEphantom

This is a recession... low ball the dealer as much as you want and attempt to walk out the door if they deny it ..then they will beg for making a deal with you... transport fee = bullsh!t. My car was transported with 200 miles on the odometer and I didn't pay chit.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:31 AM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah it costs $500 for a truck to bring it over. My dealership decided to send a guy out there to drive my car back (without asking me too). Makes sense if the dealer is swapping multiple cars, but for one car, ehhh...
Old 01-28-2009, 10:55 AM
AndrewDDS

I would highly recommend buying it through your local dealership, regardless of how you have to get the car there. I found the exact car I wanted, but it was used with 2000 miles on it, and I had to drive 6 hours to get it. My local dealership gave me the run-around whenever I needed service done, and they treated me like I bought a '92 Chevy just because I didn't buy from them. I had to take in lunch for the entire service department and kiss some *** before they started treating me like an Infiniti customer should be treated.

If you plan on owning the car for a few years, $500 is a small price to pay if it means the difference between good service and crappy service for the time you own the car. But that's just my opinion.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Does nobody ever consider ordering a car anymore like I did? If you order it through your local dealer, you can order it configured exactly like you want it, not "close enough" no options you don't want, no missing out on options you do want, etc. It will be shipped to your local dealership any you'll only pay the normal delivery fee which every dealer charges on new cars.

And yes, dealerships will deal on a car ordered from the factory.Takes about 6 to 8 weeks. It's possible that they might do a trade at the port as they did in my case. A car came off of the ship exactly like I wanted that was headed to Chicago. They swapped cars at the port with that dealership and had one of their allotment sent there and had the Chicago bound car come to Houston. Took 4 weeks instead of 6.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:31 AM
chasemyaccord

Originally Posted by Black Betty
It will be shipped to your local dealership any you'll only pay the normal delivery fee which every dealer charges on new cars.
Hehe, unless you have VPP A/B...
Old 01-28-2009, 11:48 AM
andromeda

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
Hehe, unless you have VPP A/B...

I take it as you do...Well not everybody has that...However I have medical ins. covering 100% w/o any fees deductibles,contributions etc...Do you have that?

Just messing with ya..

-A

Last edited by andromeda; 01-28-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:19 PM
AndrewDDS

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Does nobody ever consider ordering a car anymore like I did?
It sounded like he wants an '08 model, and you can't order an '08 model anymore.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
It sounded like he wants an '08 model, and you can't order an '08 model anymore.
Reading > me. I missed that part. Nevermind...
Old 01-28-2009, 12:31 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
it depends on a transporting fee if they are using a flatbed.. if they are driving the car from one dealer to another, thats up to that dealership.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:10 PM
chasemyaccord

Originally Posted by andromeda
I take it as you do...Well not everybody has that...However I have medical ins. covering 100% w/o any fees deductibles,contributions etc...Do you have that?

Just messing with ya..

-A
lol, sure don't. not worth shelling out that much money in premiums this early in my life.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:27 PM
andromeda

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
lol, sure don't. not worth shelling out that much money in premiums this early in my life.

It's free of charge Boss! Now that's an advantage heh?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:03 PM
w0ady

dont let them drive a brand new car over. when i bought my g35 in 05, i split the $500 with the dealer. they should be more desperate now so you have room to negotiate.

Quick Reply: "Transport Fee" From One Dealer to Another