Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

How do you return a leased vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:00 PM
bullrun

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you return a leased vehicle?

I know this might sound pretty noobish to say, but my current 330i is my first leased car. I've heard from several dealerships that they would be willing to "take my keys" and the car if I bought from them. I've already made all the payments, but I would like to just hand the car over and not have to deal with any last paperwork, inspections, etc. Is this something that they handle?

I always thought that the dealership you bring the car to will do a final inspection to make sure you're returning the vehicle in good condition and basically make you pay up if there are scratches, dents, etc. How does this work? I'm new to the whole leased car thing, so if you could please clarify for me. Oh and I can't find the paperwork! I think I lost the original contract, sooo yeah...
Old 12-01-2008, 09:21 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They(leasing company) should have contacted you several times before your lease ended to handle the paperwork for getting it turned back. Usually they will send out a company to do an inspection at your convenience(work, home, etc.) and determine if there is any reason to charge you for overages or damage beyond normal wear and tear. From my experience it's the "credit card' test. If any damage is bigger than a credit card they may charge you against your security deposit. If all is good you drop the car and keys off with the dealer you bought from and walk home.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:23 PM
BiskitG37

Infiniti sends out an inspecter prior to the lease being up. They checked for things like dents, excessive wear and tear, bare tires, etc. The guy told me that they expect normal usage wear - just looking for bigger things.

When I took my G35 to the dealership, it was just a matter of signing the final paperwork (took a minute max). It was harder to get out of the dealership because I had to convince my husband that I wasn't interested in leasing a 2007 - I was waiting on the G37s!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:48 PM
RIDEwithG

BMWFS should have sent you information on how to make an appointment to have your car inspected. Once that is done, you will get a receipt of any repairs or wear/tear replacement you may need to do to avoid fines. Of course, you can always take your chance and not have it done and just return it, if your car is in good condition, there shouldn't be any problems.
I turned in my Audi A4 in 2007 without and inspection. My Acura dealer actually delivered the car to a buddy of his at a local Audi dealership for me. Saved me a trip. Weeks later I called Audi Financial and asked for a closing statement to be mailed to me. $0 owed. Done. Some banks do have disposition fees so you will be responsible for that.