Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Did I overpay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:23 AM
AndrewDDS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to the dealership, the car was bought brand new in October 2007. Five months later the owner got offered a huge raise to spend 4 years overseas, so he sold the car back. I guess the original owner wanted to know all about who bought it and wanted to make sure it's taken care of because it was his dream car.

Anyway, OTD cost was just under $39K because I threw in six year wheel/tire coverage and had to pay some extra tax/title to move it from Michigan to Ohio.

As for planned mods, I hadn't really thought about it! The local dealership is pricing illuminated kick-plates for me. And I really like the look of switching all interior lights to LED or whiter incandescents, but I have no clue where to buy the new bulbs at. Any other cheap/easy suggestions?
Old 08-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Gonkey

If you feel good about it ,then its a good deal.Enjoy It
Old 08-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Former USMC

Originally Posted by AndrewDDS
Hey everyone!! I just bought a used 2008 G37S, blue slate, black interior, 4K miles. It has every possible option except the technology package and the 4-wheel steering, and is in pristine condition. Since the Kelley Blue Book values for 2008 models aren't published yet, I have no idea if I found a good deal or over-payed. I got the G37S for $35K, plus tax and title. Anyone else out there find a similar deal? Is that an average price? Did I get ripped off?

Either way, it's mine now, and my dream car is in my driveway. I just want to know if all my time and research payed off or not.

Andrew,

Congratulations on your purchase - many hope you enjoy your new G37S - nice color.

According to my calculations, you might have paid retail price for a used car. Many on this forum are paying invoice price for a new car.

According to your post..."did I get a good deal or over-payed..." and furthermore, "all of my time and research paid off..." What do you think? In a later post, you mentioned a six year tire and wheel coverage - is this an extended warranty? Details please...

Nonetheless, everyone will either pay a little more or a little less than you. It reads like you really enjoy the car - please enjoy. The idea with LED's sounds great.

Semper Fi

Last edited by Former USMC; 08-15-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:25 AM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No way, invoice out the door with those options would be over $43K OTD. I have almost the same configuration and thats how much it cost me with Plan A VPP. Take away the tech pack (which I have) and it would still be at least $41K OTD.

I'm not saying he got a superb deal on it, but it was definitely fair for both sides. No one got ripped off.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:59 AM
AndrewDDS

chasemyaccord, that's the reasoning I had when buying!! I loaded up a comparably equipped G37S 6MT at my local dealership and was told it'd be just under $43K OTD. I figured that for $4K less, I couldn't pass it up. Less than 4K miles and 6 months old; I consider that a brand new car without brand new car depreciation!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:32 AM
Former USMC

Value

According to the experts, a new car generally depreciate 20% the first year, and 10% every year thereafter. The depreciation generally slows down after 5 or 6 years depending on the make, model, etc. The depreciation could also increase; again, depending on make and model, demand, etc.

Therefore, a new car retailing for $44,000 is worth approximately $35,200 ($44K - 20%) as soon as it leaves the dealership. $35,200 is generally accepted as a retail price for the car (plus or minus a thousand dollars or so).

It's a high probability that the dealer did not pay $35,200 for that car. Dealers always pay wholesale price for a used car and many times, a $1000 or two back of wholesale; in other words they probably paid around 30K for the used G37.

No one is saying anthing about a good deal or bad deal (or getting ripped off); however, many think it's important to study the numbers. Everyone will always get a better or worst deal than you.

This forum is a great opportunity to learn and gather useful information.

Enjoy your car - reads like you are really excited about your purchase - congratulations.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Former USMC

Other Used Car Prices

Originally Posted by rayc325
Hi everybody,

Not a G owner yet but close. I can't decide between 335i or G37.

I did, however find a used '08 G37 with 5k miles,automatic, sport,premium,nav,spoiler for $34k and wanted to see if you all that was a good deal for a used car? The Carfax is clean. Thanks

A used G37 and market value...remember, this is a retail price for a used car.