Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Leasing and modding.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Andrem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leasing and modding.

Hey everyone, I hope this isn't a repost, I searched and couldn't find anything regarding this. I have a question I was hopping you guys could help me out with. I leased my G37S and I am really interested in powder coating my rims and painting my grill chrome black. Does anyone know if I will be charged when I take the car back to return it at the end of my lease? Anything would help. Thanks.

-Andre
Old 07-19-2008, 09:03 PM
dean2900

Originally Posted by Andrem
Hey everyone, I hope this isn't a repost, I searched and couldn't find anything regarding this. I have a question I was hopping you guys could help me out with. I leased my G37S and I am really interested in powder coating my rims and painting my grill chrome black. Does anyone know if I will be charged when I take the car back to return it at the end of my lease? Anything would help. Thanks.

-Andre
I generally lease my daily drivers which is now a G37S but I do NOT mod leased cars. You can add catback exhaust and RIMs without an issue but I would not do the painting.

The first car I ever leased was easy as the dealership took it back without much of a inspection. The last leaser sent a third party company to come out and they checked the car out pretty well. I suspect the painting might be something they could ding you for. I did left the Garmin GPS mount and an installed XM receiver system in my last car and did not present an issue but they really look at paint and chips.

If you really want the rims, you could always take them off before you turn the car in. If it goes back to the dealership, they are going to want it to look stock, if it goes to an auto auction or other lot then they may like the mods.

Good Luck,
Dean
Old 07-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Andrem

thanks a lot I really appreciate it
Old 07-20-2008, 05:23 AM
HP_John

Keep in mind that per the lease contract, they can penalize you if the car isn't returned in the same condition (with allowances for wear & tear obviously). 1 example is with a accident, you must be absolutely sure of the quality of work, because at the end of the lease they can make you pay to have it repaired back to factory spec. Say you got it done at a decent shop but not a Infiniti dealer, if the end of lease inspector determines that it wasn't repaired to factory spec, they can make you pay to have it repaired at a Infiniti dealer.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:34 AM
dean2900

Originally Posted by HP_John
Keep in mind that per the lease contract, they can penalize you if the car isn't returned in the same condition (with allowances for wear & tear obviously). 1 example is with a accident, you must be absolutely sure of the quality of work, because at the end of the lease they can make you pay to have it repaired back to factory spec. Say you got it done at a decent shop but not a Infiniti dealer, if the end of lease inspector determines that it wasn't repaired to factory spec, they can make you pay to have it repaired at a Infiniti dealer.
This is all good advise. However, I would not let it scare you from putting on Rims and catback exhaust if you want it. Those things do not void the warranty. Just keep the original parts and put them back on when you turn it in.

I got dinked $60 bucks on my last leaner as someone keyed my car. I did buff it out to make it less noticable but that is the only fine I have ever had. To be fair, I keep my cars parked away from other cars, I keep them in the garage, and I only hand wash my cars.

Take good care of your car and you should have no problems with the lease as long as you dont go over the mileage. My personal advice is to always get at least 15k per year on the lease.

I was 25k under my last lease but I dont feel the slightest bit bad as it would have been much worse to be even 2500 over. You are pretty much foced to buy the car you lease if you go over the mileage.

Dean
Old 07-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Just be sure to return the car in it's original condition. You can do whatever you want, as long as it is in it's original condition when it is returned. You will be charged for anything deemed excessive wear and tear.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:40 PM
jinu123nyc

Excellent post as I had some doubts as well. I guess I will be looking for new exhausts soon!
Old 07-20-2008, 04:23 PM
dean2900

Originally Posted by mike@riverside
Just be sure to return the car in it's original condition. You can do whatever you want, as long as it is in it's original condition when it is returned. You will be charged for anything deemed excessive wear and tear.
This is not completely ture. If you do anything that causes engine issues and Infiniti catches you, it can void the warranty and you could end up paying for the residual value of the car with your lease expires.

The lease is a contract. Why dont you contact your local Infiniti service center before adding any mods and ask them directly. Also write down on a sheet of paper the date you called and who talked to.

You can do what you want but if you violate the contract and are caught, it could be very costly.

The general rules is catback, rims, and cosmetic changes are fine but you will need to remove them before turning the car back in.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:30 PM
SkyzDaL1m1T

Originally Posted by dean2900
This is not completely ture. If you do anything that causes engine issues and Infiniti catches you, it can void the warranty and you could end up paying for the residual value of the car with your lease expires.

The lease is a contract. Why dont you contact your local Infiniti service center before adding any mods and ask them directly. Also write down on a sheet of paper the date you called and who talked to.

You can do what you want but if you violate the contract and are caught, it could be very costly.

The general rules is catback, rims, and cosmetic changes are fine but you will need to remove them before turning the car back in.

alright i gotta come in here and set things right first off MIKE works for INFINITI he knows what goes on and what happens...2ND it all depends on your dealership and how comfortable they are with you.....for instance GLENDALE and SANTA MONICA both confirmed to me that painting the grill or rims or any OEM parts is ok.......as far as performance mods do what you please just make sure that when your lease is over you take out all your performance mods and put back all the OEM parts and return the car exactly how it was givin to you...they wont charge extra for black grills or powder coated oem 19's....vast majority of g35 coupe drivers have there rays powdercoated
Old 07-20-2008, 04:45 PM
dean2900

Originally Posted by SkyzDaL1m1T
alright i gotta come in here and set things right first off MIKE works for INFINITI he knows what goes on and what happens...2ND it all depends on your dealership and how comfortable they are with you.....for instance GLENDALE and SANTA MONICA both confirmed to me that painting the grill or rims or any OEM parts is ok.......as far as performance mods do what you please just make sure that when your lease is over you take out all your performance mods and put back all the OEM parts and return the car exactly how it was givin to you...they wont charge extra for black grills or powder coated oem 19's....vast majority of g35 coupe drivers have there rays powdercoated
It is good to have someone on Infiniti ring in and I suspect most Infiniti dealers would be fine with the changes BUT every dealership operates differently.

So if someone puts a supercharger on their G37 and it casues catostrophic engine failure, is Nissan going to warranty the motor and or they going to let the buyer out of the lease?

I am just advising people to error on the side of caution.

Dean
Old 07-20-2008, 04:48 PM
SkyzDaL1m1T

Originally Posted by dean2900
It is good to have someone on Infiniti ring in and I suspect most Infiniti dealers would be fine with the changes BUT every dealership operates differently.

So if someone puts a supercharger on their G37 and it casues catostrophic engine failure, is Nissan going to warranty the motor and or they going to let the buyer out of the lease?

I am just advising people to error on the side of caution.

Dean
well nobody is telling him to supercharge the car and im pretty sure by now people know the consequences of turbo charging and supercharging a lease car...and yes always be aware by using performance mods on the leased vehicle and driving them really hard all the time can put wear on the engine and other parts
Old 07-20-2008, 04:49 PM
pass1over

how about lowering springs? WIll you get penalized for not swapping those back to oem?
Old 07-20-2008, 04:52 PM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Youll get penalized for not putting anything back to oem.

Im in the process of putting my leased car back to stock, and i changed almost everything on the car, springs brakes exhaust radio rims system intake plenum and more.

Its not a big deal, just keep all your stock parts so you can put them back on when your lease is up and dont make any permament changes.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:56 PM
pass1over

my old DD (rx8) has tein springs and badges removed. Its getting picked up by chase and getting taken to auction.
I dont really feel like swapping back to oem springs, but if their gonna charge me retarded amounts to do it, I might have to.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:48 PM
RIDEwithG

There isn't a rule that says you cannot modify your lease. The key is that you must return it to factory condition at lease end. The BANK owns the car, not the dealership. Remember that all dealerships are independently owned and operated and your contract is with the bank not the dealership. Obviously, if you destroy the engine by modding, you will be responsible for it. That will void your warranty even if you buy the car. Another thing, a 3rd party usually does the turn-in inspection, so it really doesn't matter what your local dealership says.

Quick Reply: Leasing and modding.