Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

08' G37 price/worth next year...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:13 PM
smokealti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 08' G37 price/worth next year...

What’s going on guys? I’m actually thinking about buying a used 6mt G37 sometime next year. I’ve been looking at 05-07’s G35 6mt Coupes but the whole oil consumption issue is throwing me off. I’ve done my research on both the g35 and 350z forums and it seems like a lot of 6mt’s are having oil problems.

According to a few websites it seems like the g37 will depreciate practically $7-9k in its first year. This means that I would be able to purchase a base g37 for around $25-$28k.

I’m at a $25k budget that’s why I was leaning towards getting a 07’ G35 6mt Coupe. With the added on performance and luxury it seems like buying a G37 is the only way to go. I’ll be honest if I did purchase the G35 I would have put some money into modifications. I think I would rather just pay upfront for a nicer car than just modifying the car in the long run. I’m sure I’ll still end up modding the G37, just not as fast as I would if I bought the G35.

The only drawback about the G37 is that it is a relatively new car. New car means more TSB’s, recalls, etc. Hopefully by sharing a similar platform with the G35 there won’t be many problems.

Honestly, I would be more than happy with a G35. I would have been sold to a G35 if it did not have this oil consumption issue. What do you guys think? Is it worth waiting? Should I look into another car? 350z? WRX STI?

What would you do ? ?

Thanks,

Adam
Old 06-18-2008, 09:59 PM
beestea

I don't think it would be a bad idea to get an 08 to save money. However I really really really doubt you will see one under say 33-35k, let alone 25k. Sure the value of the car has depreciated, but the true market value is no where near 25k. Maybe one that was in a major accident, or one that has 60k+ miles.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:46 PM
CrazyRuskie
Crazy Russian Super Mod

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
^^ I agree 100%. G35/G37's historically have had great resale value (the coupe's anyways). I got 19k trade-in for my 03 Coupe with 55k miles in November... original MSRP was $37k.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:11 PM
J.Oh

there is NO WAY the G37's price used is going to be near 25k during the first year even thought it does lose most of its value the first year if you take a look at the history of the G coupes and their resell value they hold extremely well you can still look at the first year of release and they still sell for around 50% of their original value depending on values and title

get the G35 if you have the 25k to play around with and dont worry about the oil consumption because if you get that tested and you really find that you have the oil consumption problem the engine gets replaced so you will be fine. if you want refinement go for the infiniti if you want to go fast get the 350/wrx/evo w/e have you.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:18 AM
smokealti

Originally Posted by beestea
I don't think it would be a bad idea to get an 08 to save money. However I really really really doubt you will see one under say 33-35k, let alone 25k. Sure the value of the car has depreciated, but the true market value is no where near 25k. Maybe one that was in a major accident, or one that has 60k+ miles.
If you can purchase a G37 for roughly $34,500 I doubt they will be reselling for the same price you bought it for. If that was the case I would purchase one right now and just resell it next year. Although many people do add options and dealer fee's etc. that add on to the price of the vehicle. I would be more than happy with a base G37.

$25k was the initial budget. I will have that in cash by next year. I wanted to fully pay it out without having any monthly payments.

I understood that it would be hard to find a G37 for $25k next year. I'm almost 100% sure I would be able to purchase a G37 for around $28k by next year.

I'm aware that the G35/G37 has a very good resale values. The first year is the when the car depreciates the most. Just look on the classifieds (Cars/Autotrader). There are many 2007 low mileage G35 coupes that sold new for over $40k and now selling for high $20’s/low $30’s.
Here’s an example.
2007’ G35 Coupe with 22k miles listed for $27k
link
- It’s only priced this high because it’s from a dealer. I’m sure you can get $2k off this price.

- This is what KBB shows for a private seller.
Excellent $25,790
Good $24,315
Fair $22,240

I’m assuming that this car was purchased for about $40k (with taxes/fees) from the dealer? That’s about a $12-13k drop from new.
I’m sure by next year there will be a good amount of people who would be selling their cars. Especially since the rumored AWD/Convertible G37 coming in the near future. I think it will be possible to find a G37 in my price range.

If I do decide on getting a G37 next year I would more than likely be looking to spend slightly under $30k.

I'm keeping my options open.

Thanks for the feedback..

Last edited by smokealti; 06-19-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:58 AM
mal_TX

The market value drop on the G35 coupes is due to the G37.

Nobody buys a base G37.. they hardly make any of them. Most of them are at least Journey level (premium package) and a great number of them are fully loaded.

If you find a base G37, you are correct, you will be able to get a good deal. There are two reasons for this -- first, the original sales price was low, as you indicated. Second, hardly anyone wants a base G37, so the seller will be happy to discount for you.

Good luck! This car would be awesome for $25k!
Old 06-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Good luck on the used G37...
Old 06-19-2008, 04:32 PM
smokealti

I understand where everyone is coming from... I guess the only way to actually find out is to wait till next year... As I said if I do decide on purchasing a G37 I will more than likely have $30k to spend. If there aren't any for around that price I'll buy a different car (g35?). I'm almost done with college and been working part time in the banking industry for the past 3 years. Although I wish I could I am not looking forward on spending over $30k for a car just yet. Give me a few years then we’ll talk. New M3 anyone? Lol..

I made this thread just to gather different ideas and thoughts. Thanks for all the feedback

~ Adam

Originally Posted by mike@riverside
Good luck on the used G37...
You are one of the more experienced in this industry. How much would I need to purchase a used base model 08' G37 sport with roughly 20k miles around Aug' of 2009. Dealer price ? Private Party?

Your opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam
Old 06-19-2008, 05:25 PM
RIDEwithG

Considering a 36 month lease' residual is around 23-24k, expect to pay more than that. A 1 year old G37 sport should still be in the low 30s or high 20s I am guessing.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:49 PM
smokealti

Originally Posted by RIDEwithG
Considering a 36 month lease' residual is around 23-24k, expect to pay more than that. A 1 year old G37 sport should still be in the low 30s or high 20s I am guessing.
Sounds reasonable... Thanks

Last edited by smokealti; 06-19-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:00 AM
HP_John

That estimate of depreciation is based on trade-in values, that is, the owner may trade in his car for $25-$28 K. It's not how much they expect retailers will sell a G37 for.

I'd go for a G37. IMO, Infiniti made many improvements.

07 G35 resale values dived due to the redesign. Also, 07 G35s were going very cheap, as Infiniti dealers knew it'd be the last yr of the old model. They did not depreciate $13 K in 1 yr, as original actual selling price (not MSRP) were much lower than MSRP & even lower than invoice.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:02 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
smokealti you've beeen confused for the past few years what you want lol. ill work on something with you when you're ready as promised
Old 06-20-2008, 04:19 PM
smokealti

Originally Posted by da mayor
smokealti you've beeen confused for the past few years what you want lol. ill work on something with you when you're ready as promised
Lol..You're right I don't know what to get. Friend just bought a 08' R32 and another bought a 07' sti. Just makes me want my car even more. It's hard having a car and not putting money into it. I put some money into the alti and did only minor mods on the v6 accord that i'm driving now. I'm almost following your footsteps cause my next car will most likely be a G. lmao..

As I said I'll definitely be coming your way when it's time..
Old 06-20-2008, 04:59 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smokealti
What’s going on guys? I’m actually thinking about buying a used 6mt G37 sometime next year. I’ve been looking at 05-07’s G35 6mt Coupes but the whole oil consumption issue is throwing me off. I’ve done my research on both the g35 and 350z forums and it seems like a lot of 6mt’s are having oil problems.

According to a few websites it seems like the g37 will depreciate practically $7-9k in its first year. This means that I would be able to purchase a base g37 for around $25-$28k.

I’m at a $25k budget that’s why I was leaning towards getting a 07’ G35 6mt Coupe. With the added on performance and luxury it seems like buying a G37 is the only way to go. I’ll be honest if I did purchase the G35 I would have put some money into modifications. I think I would rather just pay upfront for a nicer car than just modifying the car in the long run. I’m sure I’ll still end up modding the G37, just not as fast as I would if I bought the G35.

The only drawback about the G37 is that it is a relatively new car. New car means more TSB’s, recalls, etc. Hopefully by sharing a similar platform with the G35 there won’t be many problems.

Honestly, I would be more than happy with a G35. I would have been sold to a G35 if it did not have this oil consumption issue. What do you guys think? Is it worth waiting? Should I look into another car? 350z? WRX STI?

What would you do ? ?

Thanks,

Adam

is it confirmed 100% (by the higher mileage people especially) that the 37 doesnt have oil consumption issues??
Old 06-20-2008, 07:00 PM
smokealti

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
is it confirmed 100% (by the higher mileage people especially) that the 37 doesnt have oil consumption issues??
It seems like the G37's don't have the same oil consumption issue that the 05-07's G35 6mt's had. Although I do think if you drive aggressively you will loose some oil just like in the 03-04's. Infiniti is notorious for oil consumption issues. Just make sure you keep your car well maintained.

Quick Reply: 08' G37 price/worth next year...