Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Destination Fee?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 01:02 PM
G2Envy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Destination Fee?

I'm finally a new G owner, well sorta. I bought my car last Monday but the dealership is waiting for the car to arrive on their lot. They told me end of last week (that's already past) to sometime this week it will be there.

When I bought the car they estimated about 175 miles would be on the odometer because someone would have to drive the car down from another dealership!!? It was at the port of LA last week sometime on its last inspection (so I was told), then it would be sent to another dealership, and finally sent to this dealership down here.

I thought it was weird that someone would have to "drive" it down vice transport it on a truck. Isn't that why I'm paying the destination fee?

I don't want some guy to drive the car hard or anything. I told them that I had no problem going up to wherever the other dealership is to drive it down myself but what about the destination fee?

Should I demand that they either transport it down on a truck or I won't pay the destination fee? I can't imagine the guys who had to wait months for this car. Mine "should" be here this week sometime and I'm dying.

Thanks for the clarification guys.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:08 PM
Arrowhead

If any new car has more than 30 miles, I wont buy it. It's just me.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:13 PM
JS71796

Infiniti of Bedford had to drive mine from Dayton Ohio. I had about 300 miles on it when I picked it up. I inspected it very thoroughly and everything looked good. Regarding your destination charge....the dealership did not charge me anything to have someone drive it however they did say there would be a charge if i wanted it towed up. Hope this helps. Enjoy the new ride when you get it!
Old 03-23-2008, 02:39 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
destination charge, isnt that on all new cars?
Old 03-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by solopresident
destination charge, isnt that on all new cars?
Yes. It it is on every new car sold and is non negotiable.

Regarding you going to the other dealership and driving it home yourself, you could only do that if all your paperwork is signed and finalized. There seems to be a bit of paranoia about the guy "driving the car hard" from it's destination to the dealership for customer pickup. I'm sure that some porters do and some don't. I've also seen lots of posts about how many miles a buyer is willing to accept on the odometer of a "new" car. It is technically considered new until it is titled to an owner. Mine had 8 on it. If it had 200 it wouldn't have bothered me.

You can have it towed on a flatbed, purchase it directly from the other dealer, or deal with the miles that will be on it from being delivered. The destination charge you are paying is for only one final delivery to a dealer, the dealership where you are buying has additional costs if you have it towed down instead of driven. It's really up to you and what you think is acceptable. Ask for them to throw in the towing at no cost or tell them that you'd rather buy at the dealer where it's currently located maybe?
Old 03-23-2008, 02:58 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
search around at other dealers. now it maybe to late bc they could of already done a dealer trade on it.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:39 PM
Dave ISM

Originally Posted by Black Betty
It is technically considered new until it is titled to an owner.
This is sorta true. In California (at least), a vehicle can sold as new up to 6,000 miles on the odometer. Case in point, principal demos (owners, GM's, GSM's, etc.) will have miles on them however can be registered to the manufacturer as a new vehicle to a retail consumer. Afterward, it would have be sold as a pre-owned vehicle since the VIN has been registered through the DMV.
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Ask for them to throw in the towing at no cost or tell them that you'd rather buy at the dealer where it's currently located maybe?
Towing still costs, whether you pay for it or "tossed in free" (meaning you're still really paying for it) since it's an additional cost assessed to the dealer.

I recently had this same scenario on a one-off sedan that was available 400 miles away. I was upfront with the client and he even called the dealer to be certain that it was even there. My client's options were to drive/fly to that dealership and deal with the hassle of working out the deal on his car there and somehow getting back home or just "pay" for the towing to get it to me where I can control the fitness and quality of the vehicle for delivery and ultimately to him. In the end, we included the towing into the deal and he got his one of a kind vehicle that he loved.

Remember kiddies, if the exact color/options isn't available at your local dealership, most are willing to dealer trade for the vehicle you want if it's on the ground somewhere to earn your service/maintenance business later on (where dealerships really make their money). You won't get the "deal of a lifetime" this way, however if you're writing a check to the bank every month on a dream deal vs. the exact one that you'd be happiest with, that's a question you must ask yourself.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:42 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Destination fee is bs in some states its illegal to charge dealer fees like that. Just another way to get more money out of you.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:58 PM
Dave ISM

Originally Posted by Edmunds.com
Destination Charge
A flat fee that the manufacturer charges to deliver a vehicle from the factory to the dealership. The fee is not negotiable and is generally the same amount no matter how far or near you live from the factory.
So you know, this is charged to the dealer therefore passed on to the consumer. I'm not certain how this works in different states since I'm based in California, however I do know that it can vary state-to-state.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:13 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would refuse to let someone drive my car... You know they are going to give it hell...

I told my dealer that I didnt want it drivin and they told me the would be happy to truck it down.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:09 PM
G2Envy

I've already put the down payment for this car. I wrote an email to the dealer and his response was that the "the destination fee is the cost from transporting from where ever it was manufactured to the dealership."

I guess I'll have to find out whether I can pick it up myself or if they're willing to truck it down for me (doubt it if people are saying it will cost them to do that). I guess we'll see what happens.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:21 PM
Dave ISM

Is your new coupe a Journey 5AT with a Graphite interior?!? I'm looking at your sig and located one of these vehicles here to me in fact! LOL! Your car could be coming to you via my dealership from Los Angeles.

Back to the topic at hand, destination fees are different from trucking/towing and will cost you additional money. Keep in mind that these vehicles are made in Japan and have to be freighted in over the Pacific. Once here in the States, the vehicle must be transported to the originating dealership and if a two dealers enter into agreement to trade vehicles, they're typically driven and not towed to lessen expenses.

If you're leasing your coupe, it's not going to matter how many miles are on the vehicle at the time of delivery since your warranty begins with the miles on the vehicle when you do take delivery and odds are, you're not going to buy out the residual in the end.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:25 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just imagine what some people do to new cars when they are driving them for 150 miles... I dont care how much a dealer tells you ..." we wont drive it hard" ... I have some friends that own 4 or so dealerships and there always pushing new cars to see what they will do...

Positive is ... you wont have to break in your car... it will already be broke in...lol

If you can get it trucked... do so at whatever cost....
Old 03-23-2008, 05:25 PM
G2Envy

Originally Posted by Dave ISM
Is your new coupe a Journey 5AT with a Graphite interior?!? I'm looking at your sig and located one of these vehicles here to me in fact! LOL! Your car could be coming to you via my dealership from Los Angeles.

Back to the topic at hand, destination fees are different from trucking/towing and will cost you additional money. Keep in mind that these vehicles are made in Japan and have to be freighted in over the Pacific. Once here in the States, the vehicle must be transported to the originating dealership and if a two dealers enter into agreement to trade vehicles, they're typically driven and not towed to lessen expenses.

If you're leasing your coupe, it's not going to matter how many miles are on the vehicle at the time of delivery since your warranty begins with the miles on the vehicle when you do take delivery and odds are, you're not going to buy out the residual in the end.
Actually mine is the 6MT with graphite/washi interior. They had a hard time finding me one with all the options I wanted. This color doesn't sell as well as others so it's harder to find on the lots. The only thing I'm missing is the spoiler but they have ordered it from Japan and should be arriving within 1-2 months. So I'll be driving around without one for a while.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Dave ISM

Interesting, I see just one on the ground right now in your spec, however it also features the Technology package. Aftermarket spoilers on the G37 coupe suck and wouldn't recommend them (leaks). I don't see another 99368/B21G with P01/U01/R10 coming this month, but your dealer might be doing a port swap with an inbound by the middle of April.
Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
Just imagine what some people do to new cars when they are driving them for 150 miles... I dont care how much a dealer tells you ..." we wont drive it hard" ... I have some friends that own 4 or so dealerships and there always pushing new cars to see what they will do...
LOL, ok sure, on a brand new model, I'm sure many employees (sales, porters, managers, etc.) could do that but once that model has been available for some time, it's not so likely anymore since the novelty has since worn off.

Quick Reply: Destination Fee?