Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

HELP! Lease scam!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:56 AM
Armani350GT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, I called the original owner again and told me that he is not too sure of the actual mileage. It was high enough that he did not want to take the car. He never drove it off the lot.

First, he went into the dealership to negotiate the price. The car was at a different dealer waiting to have a dealer trade so he went home for the day after signing all the paperworks. Then, he went in 3 days later to pick up the vehicle to drive off the lot and realized that the mileage was too high so he canceled the deal. But by that time, all the paper work has been filed to DMV and he was the registered owner. He later went into the DMV in Irvine to change the title.

So maybe they didn't turn back the odometer, but who knows? He remembered it to be around 200 miles or so but it's more than 2 1/2 years ago so he doesn't really remember the actual mile.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:13 AM
CarAddict
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If this scam involves Infiniti of Tustin, then all I can say is that this not their first! I would never go near that dealership .....

I kinda feel your pain!

Good luck!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:58 AM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Armani350GT
NotUrG, did your transaction paper say it was a New Purchase? At least mine does. Also, on DMV file, were you the second owner?
My paper transaction said that I was buying a brand new car. My car also had 200+ miles on it, but it was dealer traded from Minnesota, so I figured that was proper. The person that bought my car the first time took delivery on a Saturday, had problems with it on a Sunday and returned it on Monday, so the dealership tore up the paperwork. How did I find all of this out? When I called Toyota to complain about the problems, for some random reason I asked what day the warranty would run out so that I could try to get them to do something and they told me that the warranty ran out a year and a month earlier than I thought- thats because the first owner bought the car a year and a month before I did, so the in service date was effective when the first owner bought the car. It took a lot of arguments with the dealership and Toyota in order to get them to change the in service date to the date that I purchased the car. The DMV files also said that I was the first owner, because the paperwork was destroyed on a Monday when the car was returned. I got screwed big time.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Armani350GT

Thanks NotUrG,

I might be better off because my record shows that I'm the second owner. It seems like you really got screwed with a lemon. Thanks for inputs everybody. Let's see what they have to say.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
FWIW, in some states (including Texas) many types of contracts may be voided by the buyer within 3 business days if they change their mind for practically any reason. This would leave the dealership stuck if they have filed the paperwork. They shouldn't have until the 3 business days have passed. If this is one of those situations, it's possible that to cover their error they screwed the next "sucker" who came along and never thought it would come back to bite them in the ***. I guess it did. If you raise enough hell to the right people ou probably won't need a lawyer. Get your facts in order and persent your case nicely at first but don't take no for an answer until they make a fair restitution.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:43 PM
msb3079

^^^ yeah contract law is 3 days in all 50 states, i believe.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:04 PM
TopTech

Originally Posted by msb3079
^^^ yeah contract law is 3 days in all 50 states, i believe.
There is no "cooling off" period in California, at least as far as cars are concerned.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:13 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
FWIW, in some states (including Texas) many types of contracts may be voided by the buyer within 3 business days if they change their mind for practically any reason. This would leave the dealership stuck if they have filed the paperwork. They shouldn't have until the 3 business days have passed. If this is one of those situations, it's possible that to cover their error they screwed the next "sucker" who came along and never thought it would come back to bite them in the ***. I guess it did. If you raise enough hell to the right people ou probably won't need a lawyer. Get your facts in order and persent your case nicely at first but don't take no for an answer until they make a fair restitution.
You are correct, and that is what I was told by Toyota after I started having problems with the car and discovered that I was the 2nd buyer of the car. Long story short, after 3 years of arguing every week, I ended up lemon lawing the car and got rid of it. Now Toyota is stuck trying to figure out what to do with it and take a loss when they sell the car. I am happy with the outcome in my particualr situation.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:42 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
wow sorry to hear about your troubled story. being the first or second wouldn't effect the trade in value at all
Old 02-12-2008, 02:08 AM
Armani350GT

I went to talk with the GM today and what he basically told me is that it is still under investigation. He told me that it is not an used car because the previous owner never drove the car off the lot. Even though all the paper work have been filed to DMV. changes in ownership didn't happen for a while after the deal. He says it's DMV's mistake(BS), and not the dealership because he believes that all the paper work to void the contract was filed. Apparently it wasn't.

So, what he is trying to do now is to change the record on the DMV file so that the first owner's name will be erased. ????? Is that legal?
Old 02-12-2008, 02:22 AM
RYs06MT

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by CarAddict
If this scam involves Infiniti of Tustin, then all I can say is that this not their first! I would never go near that dealership .....

I kinda feel your pain!

Good luck!
+1 on Tustin Infiniti... horrible people.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:26 AM
raptorius

So Tustin Infiniti is a place to stay away from? I was actually gonna go there because we got our Lexus from Tustin Lexus and they were great. Guess if its that bad Ill stay away, got to Metro or Montclair or Cerritos.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:32 PM
mgtarheels

Present it to a lawyer, stop handling it on your own.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:57 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by mgtarheels
Present it to a lawyer, stop handling it on your own.
Why would he need a lawyer? The problem didn't actually cost him any money and didn't affect the value of his car, it's only an issue of him feeling cheated by the dealership doing something underhanded. What will a lawyer do other than cost him money? I hope you aren't talking about filing a civil suit for damages because the only one who would get anything out of that would be the lawyer.

You are best served by talking to people until you get the right people who will listen to your problem and offer you an apology, perhaps reprimand the dealer in some way (doubtful) or just hear you out and give you peace of mind. At best they might offer you some sort of "peace offering" in the interest of maintaining a business relationship with you and to preserve their reputation of customer service but I wouldn't expect something huge.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:36 PM
mgtarheels

More than one owner does effect the value of the car. Fraud was committed knowingly or not. If they were smart about it, they would seriously hook you up towards your next car.

Quick Reply: HELP! Lease scam!