Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Canadian Cash Deal for New G37

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 04:38 PM
urbandaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't get charged anything from Royal bank since I am regarded as a Gold member and account managed, but not everyone gets good rates from their bank.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:18 AM
HP_John

Originally Posted by psyh
Well, whether saving $xxxx dollar amount is worth it is up to the individual...

Which bank are you with? My bank charged me 1% for exchange rate.
I checked w/ Bank of Montreal & Scotia Bank, both were making a profit of about 2%. In fact, they didn't even allowing any haggling off what their computer screen read (they had different rates for under $10 K, $10-20 K, $20-30 K, etc but whatever was on their computer was what they'd give for that specific amount). Only over $50,000 could you haggle after they'd put in a call to head office (they didn't list their rate for over $50,000).
Old 01-26-2008, 03:39 PM
jdm_inspire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by urbandaddy
How far off am I????
So you can "bet" all you want, but you can build the same car I bought for $50,000 CDn plus GST and you get $44,000 US. I wouldnt pull that number out of the air.
I don't doubt if you wanted to quote MSRP US$ vs your negotiated price C$ ... you could generate a 4% difference. Just like you paid in Alberta, I would imagine any US dealership would lower the price from MSRP with an 'equivalent' package as your car.

And I also agree ... people are not going to save $10-$15k for this car. No way. But a phone call from a Michigan dealership, I was able to get a package for US$600 above 'invoice' for a similar car (just that they have to find one in the current nationwide inventory).

So ... using edmunds.com data that I used to talk to this guy:

G37S with premium, navi, tech package and the other things listed: US$39,790 + $600 = $40,390 + fees = $40,390 + ~200 = US$40,590

So ... we're talking about US$41,000 vs US$44,000 that was on that spreadsheet. Using a current exchange rate of US$1 = C$1.00715 (as per xe.com) ... ok ... let's use C$1.02 for argument's sake ... C$41,820.

+ 6.1% import duty = C$44,370
+ GST (5%) = 46,590
+ A/C tax ($100) = $46,690
+ RIV fees ($300) = $46,990
+ add DRL ($100 at crappy Tire) = $47,090

-----

I have to pay 8% Ontario tax ... so "my" cost will be closer to C$50,500.

Homework done.

PS I have bought 1 Acura TSX for my wife last year and helped a family friend import a 2008 Acura TL last month, so I have plenty of experience on importing new cars. Look me up on redflagdeals.com (as 'inspire') if you want more proof.

Last edited by jdm_inspire; 01-26-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:23 PM
urbandaddy

Wow! Thanks for showing that you only save a few thousand dollars, big deal!

RRREVIN bought at 1.10, that made sense. Now it doesnt.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:32 PM
jdm_inspire

I'm not made of moneybags like you are sounding. But I do know, at least in Ontario, every C$1 I have in my pocket, I have to make C$1.43 to offset taxes to pay to our lovely Liberal (provincial) + Conservative (federal) gov'ts. And the "few thousand" for an 'average' guy is like a couple paycheques. Guess that doesn't mean much to you, but it probably means a heckuva lot to other people on this board.

And the money 'saved' by going through a little paperwork can go towards mods, a big screen TV, gas for the year, other investments ... other things that can be spent elsewhere instead of Nissan's pocket.

Your money, your choice. I'm just reputing the 4% figure that was on that spreadsheet and I'm not going to post in this thread any longer. Looks like the difference for you is closer to 10%. Too bad.

Last edited by jdm_inspire; 01-26-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:48 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Originally Posted by jdm_inspire
I'm not made of moneybags like you are sounding. But I do know, at least in Ontario, every C$1 I have in my pocket, I have to make C$1.43 to offset taxes to pay to our lovely Liberal (provincial) + Conservative (federal) gov'ts. And the "few thousand" for an 'average' guy is like a couple paycheques. Guess that doesn't mean much to you, but it probably means a heckuva lot to other people on this board.
That would be me.

If doing a little bit of paperwork to save a few grand is crazy, then label me stupid.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:22 AM
HP_John

Even with the current $4,500 rebate, most Cdns will still save $4,000. It's up to each Cdn to decide if that's worth it.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:00 PM
rrrevin

I am not denying they are cheaper but people are full of it and not telling the whole story when they say they bought their G37 from the States and save $15,000 - $20,000.

Is it worth the loss of dealer support, resale value, and brain damage to save a MAX of $5000?

Also, when the dollar is at par, like right now, the bank will not give you $1 CDN for $1 US. You loss up to 5 cents on the costs to exchange.
Not this again... (do you get kickback from the dealers? :-) )

$5000 might not be alot of money for you; but for most Canadian families, that is huge. More power to them if they can get their kids through university.

I saved $13,565.23. Much more then a 'MAX' of $5000. That is cash in my pocket for me to spend on whatever else I like. I've never said I saved over $15,000.

Just like everything else, timing is everything. When I was looking, there were NO rebates on the G37 from Canadian Dealers to be had and they were all selling at MSRP, not a dime less. The Canadian dollar was high, which made up for the no rebates. If the dealers were willing to come within $5000 of US Invoice, I would have bought Canadian; but they weren't. So, I took my money somewhere else. If that rebate was available when I was looking, I probably would have bought Canadian. The key is the rebate they are now giving. Without it you are adding $4500 to your 'max' saving of $5000 bringing it closer to that magic $10000 mark.

This next part is very important: I heard on the radio that over 30,000 cars were imported into Canada in Nov alone (very believable considering the import trend of 14,832 in Sep and 24,873 in Oct http://www.fftimes.com/Business/Cana...es/27-Nov-2007).

It's because of people like me, who took their money to the US, that you are now seeing deals in Canada. We are responsible for the $4500 dealer rebate that you are now enjoying.. because it was not available when I was looking. And who knows how long it will last... If we didn't go south, do you think that you'd be seeing 'any' of the rebates you are seeing now? Think about it.

Last edited by rrrevin; 01-27-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:17 AM
Skarbz

To import or not to import.... that is the question. HELP

I am new to this thread and site and looking at buying an 2008 G37 as i had a car accident in my Chrysler 300SRT last month.

It seems as thought people no longer are that excited about buy from the US, is that true??

I was in the process of learnig how to import due to the strong CA loonie.

Any advice

Thanks

Skarbz
Old 11-28-2010, 04:26 AM
Skarbz

Originally Posted by rrrevin
Not this again... (do you get kickback from the dealers? :-) )

$5000 might not be alot of money for you; but for most Canadian families, that is huge. More power to them if they can get their kids through university.

I saved $13,565.23. Much more then a 'MAX' of $5000. That is cash in my pocket for me to spend on whatever else I like. I've never said I saved over $15,000.

Just like everything else, timing is everything. When I was looking, there were NO rebates on the G37 from Canadian Dealers to be had and they were all selling at MSRP, not a dime less. The Canadian dollar was high, which made up for the no rebates. If the dealers were willing to come within $5000 of US Invoice, I would have bought Canadian; but they weren't. So, I took my money somewhere else. If that rebate was available when I was looking, I probably would have bought Canadian. The key is the rebate they are now giving. Without it you are adding $4500 to your 'max' saving of $5000 bringing it closer to that magic $10000 mark.

This next part is very important: I heard on the radio that over 30,000 cars were imported into Canada in Nov alone (very believable considering the import trend of 14,832 in Sep and 24,873 in Oct http://www.fftimes.com/Business/Cana...es/27-Nov-2007).

It's because of people like me, who took their money to the US, that you are now seeing deals in Canada. We are responsible for the $4500 dealer rebate that you are now enjoying.. because it was not available when I was looking. And who knows how long it will last... If we didn't go south, do you think that you'd be seeing 'any' of the rebates you are seeing now? Think about it.
Is it worth while to import a used vehicule such as a 2008 G37? I am new here and confused by the back and forth but you seem to have had teh most experience and success. I live in edmonton, alberta and just lost my 300SRT to ice and a tree. looking at the 2008 G37 with the extras.

Any help to where to look?

ship it or drive it back?

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Skarbz