Build Threads

G37_Architect's 2008 G35S 6MT - Garnet Ember Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 02:37 PM
G37_Architect
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
G37_Architect's 2008 G35S 6MT - Garnet Ember Build Thread

Figured it was time to finally graduate from the newbie corner and make a build thread. This first post will be summarizing about 5 years worth of ownership.... buckle up!

I sold my 2001 BMW M5 and started the search for a sedan that would be fun to drive but not as needy as the ///M. I love BMW's but my free time to work on them just didn't exist anymore with 2 kiddos at home. We loved our FX35 from a reliability standpoint so decided that a G35/G37 sedan might fit the bill.

I picked up my first G in late 2017. Found a 2008 G35S 6MT in A51 Garnet Ember with only 54k miles on it.

Here are a few pics when i picked her up!

Old 07-14-2022, 02:42 PM
G37_Architect
Registered Member

My first mod, like many others on this site was picking up a set of coupe 19" wheels.

Next up was a set of R2C intakes that I picked up off this forum. Excuse the dirty engine bay!

Old 07-14-2022, 02:48 PM
G37_Architect
Registered Member

Around 80k miles I started to plan a few maintenance and drivability upgrades.

Overhauled the cooling system as I had a hose start to leak (upgraded silicone hoses from Z1).
Belts, spark plugs, new differential oil, trans oil, etc.

My clutch had started dropping to the floor randomly so I knew the CSC was on its way out. Decided to revamp the entire system.

Z1 Road Race Clutch Kit w/ Lightweight billet flywheel

Z1 Tilton HD CSC
RJM Clutch Pedal w/ Tilton HD Master Cylinder

Absolutely love this setup!

My catalytic converters also decided to let go, so ordered a set of Berk resonated test pipes and installed a Topspeed Pro1 y-pipe back exhaust.

Also decided to try my hand at vinyl wrap and wrapped the diffuser area with cf vinyl. Ended up being easier than expected and love the results.

The following users liked this post:
FrogmanKouki (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 02:56 PM
G37_Architect
Registered Member

That brings us up to current day. Just about 5 years of ownership. (3.5 years longer than any previous car I have owned).

She has been the most reliable car I have ever owned and still a blast to drive. Rolled over 100k miles this summer and still going strong.

I have a few items that have been ordered and waiting to be installed.

Scored a set of powerstop akebono calipers, rotors and pads. Red calipers on a red car isn't my first choice, but should look alright. Definitely better than the stock brakes.

Also ordered some black vinyl to wrap the chrome door trim and maybe the front grill.

Ordered some black brushed metal vinyl to wrap the interior trim (thanks to another member on this forum) and ordered some new floor mats as the current ones are destroyed!

Also ordered a small cf lip spoiler for the trunk.. will likely end up wrapping the chrome on the trunk as well. Will see how it looks when the spoiler comes in.
Old 07-14-2022, 03:00 PM
FrogmanKouki
Registered Member

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
I see you're also a middle TN G owner, glad to know there are a few of us on here. Your car looks nice, I'll be sure to follow this thread for updates.
Old 07-14-2022, 03:33 PM
G37_Architect
Registered Member

Originally Posted by FrogmanKouki
I see you're also a middle TN G owner, glad to know there are a few of us on here. Your car looks nice, I'll be sure to follow this thread for updates.
Oh nice, I knew ToXic was but didn't realize you were as well. I was looking through your thread earlier. Love the Ray's wheels and the color you chose for the akebonos. Well done!
FrogmanKouki (08-17-2022)
Old 07-15-2022, 11:09 AM
G37_Architect
Registered Member

Finally found a set of G35 specific floor mats in black. The car had worn G37 mats in it since I bought it.

New floor mats make such a big difference. You can also see my nicely cracked dash... still trying to figure out the best course of action there.

Old 07-15-2022, 11:14 AM
G37_Architect
Registered Member

I ordered a set of Swift springs so I took a minute to do a rough photoshop of what it would look like with a drop... Decided to also add the gloss black trim, window tint, and see what a set of VMR V710's in gunmetal might look like.

I think I am digging this direction.

Old 07-15-2022, 11:39 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
I really like this combo as well, it will look very similar to this render except for bigger calipers. Note of the color you're planning on choosing since the colors of the wheels and rotor hubs wont match. Having the hub and wheel match give it a unique depth and makes the whole setup look fantastic.

Also I believe a nice set of black panels would compliment the look of the interior and actually compliment the seat color.

The Gs that come with Monaco seats use this pattern, black interior with just the seats that are a different contrast, your car reminds me of the 95 Honda Prelude SIR that came with tan leather

Old 07-15-2022, 12:05 PM
G37_Architect
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
I really like this combo as well, it will look very similar to this render except for bigger calipers. Note of the color you're planning on choosing since the colors of the wheels and rotor hubs wont match. Having the hub and wheel match give it a unique depth and makes the whole setup look fantastic.

Also I believe a nice set of black panels would compliment the look of the interior and actually compliment the seat color.

The Gs that come with Monaco seats use this pattern, black interior with just the seats that are a different contrast, your car reminds me of the 95 Honda Prelude SIR that came with tan leather
Appreciate your thoughtful comments!

I agree about the wheel color comment. They also come in a bright silver... I find myself going back and forth between the gunmetal and silver. My mom actually has those wheels in bright silver on her G37 convertible, might just steal them for a day to see how they look.

And that is a great idea about the black door panels. Might have to check the junkyards to see if i can snag a few. I'm planning to wrap the silver trim in the interior with brushed black metal vinyl, similar to another member on this forum.

I kind of wish my seat bases were black as well, along with some black carpet. But that seems like it might be too big of a project...
Old 07-18-2022, 05:06 PM
G37_Architect
Registered Member

My Swift springs showed up!

Also received my CF Lip spoiler and mocked it up. Going to wrap my chrome on the trunk in gloss black before I attach the spoiler for good.

Hopefully will get a chance in the next week or so to install my Akebono's, wrap the chrome trim, wrap the interior trim, and install the springs!

Last edited by G37_Architect; 07-18-2022 at 05:11 PM. Reason: swapped pic
Old 11-18-2022, 12:37 PM
G37_Architect
Registered Member

Finally got around to installing the Akebono's and Swift Springs! Happy with how it turned out.

Also, just received my new wheels! Forgestar CF5V in Gloss Anthracite! 19x9+35 and 19x10+42

Will be doing a test fit soon and then will get tires ordered!

FrogmanKouki (11-23-2022)
Old 11-18-2022, 01:23 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
IDK how I missed this, but I'm subbing here and want to say I think your project is fantastic. I love the details and the choices made.

What happened to your new rear spoiler? I don't see it in the current pics. I think if you paint the chrome lip red, that new spoiler will look awesome on your car.

Also, have you ever heard of Leatherique? Check it out.
Old 11-18-2022, 04:41 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 306 Likes on 198 Posts
The wheels look stunning, can't wait to see them on the car!
Old 11-19-2022, 08:01 AM
G37_Architect
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
IDK how I missed this, but I'm subbing here and want to say I think your project is fantastic. I love the details and the choices made.

What happened to your new rear spoiler? I don't see it in the current pics. I think if you paint the chrome lip red, that new spoiler will look awesome on your car.

Also, have you ever heard of Leatherique? Check it out.
Thanks Rochester!

The offsets on your Vossens inspired my choices for the forgestars.

the spoiler wasn’t installed yet. Going to wrap the chrome in black to see how it looks but I bet you are right, it would look great in red.

and yes, I have leatherique products in my garage…probably should actually use them hah.

Quick Reply: G37_Architect's 2008 G35S 6MT - Garnet Ember Build Thread