Build Threads

The So people will stop bugging me Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 08:44 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Thanks Joy.. I wanted to keep that car forever since I had modded it so much. Had plans to drop it on a-spec suspension (1 inch?) and put the a-spec lip kit on it. The motor had under 100k miles too.. wahhhh
Old 03-19-2021, 03:51 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Got the windows tinted yesterday with 25% tint but haven't had a chance to get any pics yet. Gonna try to wash the car this weekend and get some new pics. I also ordered 1 twin loop muffler to test how it's going to fit to replace my Q300 chambered mufflers. If the fitment looks okay, I'm going to order a second muffler. Then I'll take it to get a baseline dyno, have the new mufflers swapped on, and do another dyno to see if there's an improvement. And of course, get sound clips before / after
Old 03-21-2021, 05:46 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Got my windows tinted last Thursday with 25% tint and I vinyl wrapped the lower portion of the windows today. First time doing it.. and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

The following 2 users liked this post by backman_66:
projectpanda13 (03-22-2021), Rochester (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 09:28 PM
2.2Lude
Registered Member

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts
Tint makes a huge difference. Good look right there.
The following users liked this post:
backman_66 (03-21-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 10:13 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

I bought a twin loop muffler to see how it will fit.. the preliminary testing results are posted in my Twin Loop Muffler thread here: https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...ml#post4292862
Old 03-29-2021, 10:21 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

Fixed the transition from my 2.5" cats to my 2.25" catback so it is smooth and not being obstructed where the flanges meet:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ml#post4293076

Last edited by backman_66; 03-29-2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:17 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

Thought I would post an update on what's going on with my G.

I bought those Xforce twin loop mufflers several months ago and one of them was in stock, and it's been sitting in my garage, but the other one has been on a manufacturer hold of sorts. So I've had to wait several months but the other muffler is due to arrive today.

I'm planning to go to an exhaust shop to have them unbolt my Q300 mufflers and fab up a new mandrel-belt pipe to bolt these new mufflers on. That way, I'll be able to swap them out quickly when I get the car dyno'd so I can see the difference between the two. I have a dyno appointment set up in a little over a month in Joplin, MO.

As far as my future plans after this job is done.. well, it's basically going to be the grand finale, going out with a bang. And I may try to do most of this at once to save on some labor costs. I'm basically not going for any more power adders, I'm just trying to add lightness.
  1. ZSpeed Stage 2 Clutch and 12lb aluminum flywheel, quiet disc option, and CMAK kit - I've read a few posts about this flywheel saying the drivability is actually pretty good and chatter isn't too bad. I don't mind some chatter. I just hate the stock heavy flywheel and overall grandma feeling of the stock drivetrain. It's my ONLY complaint about my G (maybe the stock sport seats too, for my fat butt).
  2. 4.08 gears and Bell differential brace - I am 100% getting these. Stock gearing (3.7), even with about 400hp, feels too sluggish and long. I don't get that sensation of speed. I love rowing through gears, that's why I bought the 6MT. I was even considering 4.36's but decided I'd rather still have a partially useful 1st gear instead of completely useless.
  3. I really need to replace the brake pads and rotors - I may end up doing this as #1. I haven't decided on which brand of pads yet. I want something that's an upgrade over stock that isn't going to squeal too much. I don't mind a little to moderate brake dust. Any recommendations would be great!! I'm also FOR SURE getting 2-piece front rotors, but still undecided about rears. That price-to-performance ratio is hurtful. BUT, I may end up getting 2-piece rears if my crypto investments take off the way I'm hoping
  4. OEM rear spoiler - Because the trunk just looks a little silly to me without a spoiler when the car has tint, black window trim vinyl, lowering springs, aftermarket wheels, and 2 big exhaust cans sticking out the back.
  5. OEM sport front lip - To add that extra bit of OEM+ sportiness look when I'm comin' up behind ya. It just fits perfectly with the overall lines of the car.
After this stuff, I think I'm pretty much in the same spot as Rochester... basically done with modding the car. But who knows going into the future? I don't ever intend to sell my precious unicorn, so maybe I'll get bored with it and do exhaust cams, headers, and upgrade to a 2.5" exhaust.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by backman_66
I bought those Xforce twin loop mufflers several months ago and one of them was in stock, and it's been sitting in my garage, but the other one has been on a manufacturer hold of sorts. So I've had to wait several months but the other muffler is due to arrive today.
Hope the sound is worth the effort. The idea of having the exhaust loop back into the muffler makes me squirm.

I'm just trying to add lightness.
I see what you did there.

ZSpeed Stage 2 Clutch and 12lb aluminum flywheel, quiet disc option, and CMAK kit
12 pound flywheel in a DD? My God.

4.08 gears and Bell differential brace - I am 100% getting these.
Big money, but zero regrets. You'll love the new gears.

I'm also FOR SURE getting 2-piece front rotors, but still undecided about rears. That price-to-performance ratio is hurtful.
Hindsight tells me these rotors weren't worth the cost, but then I look at them again and realize how awesome they are. It's a tough choice, backman.

Old 06-25-2021, 11:21 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Hope the sound is worth the effort. The idea of having the exhaust loop back into the muffler makes me squirm.
If I don't like it, I can always bolt back up the Q300 mufflers and sell the twin loops at a loss. The idea with the twin loop is that the exhaust does loop through the muffler twice, but under higher load it also allows some of the exhaust to pass straight-through the perforated pipes in the core. This makes me think it will deliver good torque and response down low, without restricting it too much in the top end compared to my current chambered mufflers. With the sound levels, it should also retain a quiet tone under normal driving but open up that sweet VQ tone when under WOT. The Q300 just doesn't give me enough sound when I want to play around.

12 pound flywheel in a DD? My God.
Yeah, it may be a bit much, I dunno. I've always just enjoyed lightweight flywheels. Projectpanda gave me the idea of going this route: https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-t...ml#post4285679
and also look at his post #196

Hindsight tells me these rotors weren't worth the cost, but then I look at them again and realize how awesome they are. It's a tough choice, backman.
If I go with drilled AND slotted, then I can get 2-piece fronts with 1-piece rears, and the patterns will match according to z1.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:29 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Right. Panda. Forgot about Panda.

If I go with drilled AND slotted, then I can get 2-piece fronts with 1-piece rears, and the patterns will match according to z1.
That's good thinking. Personally, I was enamored by the asymmetrical nature of the sprinkle-slot design, partly just for the looks, and partly because my wheel spokes are directional, so it would be a lot. And they're only offering sprinkle-slot on the 2-piece.

Or wait... is that true? Have you asked Z1, because I didn't. I just added that to the list when weighing options. Derp.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:32 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

The only thing I asked about was how I could match 2 piece with 1 piece and the only option is drilled AND slotted.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:37 AM
backman_66
Registered Member

About those twin loops, I just remember hearing so many good things about them on Hondas, and I've owned an S2000 and RSX-S. The struggle is real to keep them quiet and not sounding like a fart can, but still getting the performance you need. It's THE best option to balance power and sound levels. I figure the same could theoretically be true on most cars. Exhaust is exhaust, basically.. you're just putting out different pulses and volumes depending on your displacement etc.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:39 AM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Received 281 Likes on 231 Posts
Love the idea of the twin loop exhaust.

For the pads, I'm currently on StopTech Sport pads. Its been great for daily. It does dust more compared to the Street version but no noise, has great inital cold bite, and did well when i used it for a season of autocross a couple of years back. Cost isn't bad for them also.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:30 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
I wrote a thing about brake options a month or so ago - I guess search my posts? I think it might have been in the newb section.

Got a good deal on stoptech slotted rears (~$180 shipped for the pair) - the slots won't match my Z1 2-piece (sorry John) but the rotor hats are black powdercoat and otherwise they look the same. Heavy AF though, but the Z1 2-piece rears aren't that much lighter than OEM.

I'm about to write up my ZSpeed light steel (20 lb) flywheel and HD CSC - but, more or less what is said above about the 12 pound. I had 11 pound ACT flywheels on two of my RX7s and loved them.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:38 PM
backman_66
Registered Member

Little update:

I did get the twin loop mufflers installed, but I have an exhaust leak by the RHFCs somewhere and it's making the exhaust sound ugly, so I can't get a good opinion of how the twin loop mufflers sound yet. Plus, I feel like I need to "break them in" a little bit too.

I had a dyno planned for August 3rd, but their machine was down and they cancelled my appointment for now. They are supposed to call to reschedule, but I don't think I'm actually going to do it now because the cost will probably be over $200 to do some pulls with my old mufflers and my new mufflers. I had some unexpected dental costs and I just can't justify spending over $200 for a dyno. Maybe some people would want to donate to the cause?

Anyway, I'll have pictures and sound clips within the next week or two probably, once I can get this exhaust leak figured out. Oh yeah, I did weigh the Q300 mufflers versus the twin loops. The Q300 mufflers, with the pipe / flange still attached to it, weighs about 19.5 lbs each. The twin loops weigh about 12.5 each. So a decent weight savings at least!

Quick Reply: The So people will stop bugging me Build Thread