Build Threads

deep0542's 2013 G37xS Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 04:56 PM
deep0542
Registered Member

Received 160 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
My car is original Anniversary and at 120k miles it has seen hell...Love to see Graphite and Monaco in one sentence. Pretty Jelly of the condition you found your seats.
Agreed the Monaco + Graphite is a killer combo. Of course being an Ohio State alumni, all my friends have nicknamed this a "Buckeye" themed car.

Your build has come a long way, seriously cannot believe how trashed that car was. Poor G, thankfully it's got a chance at a new life.
The following users liked this post:
BULL (03-06-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 11:53 PM
deep0542
Registered Member

Mod Log: June - August '19

Here's a quick shot of the car at the beginning of the summer:

Just as I was getting ready to head back to work, I decided to take on one of my more ambitious (to me) projects to date. I have never been a fan of the OEM two-tone interior, with the graphite (black) plastics and beige-ish headliner. I get that this is supposed to create an illusion of spaciousness and luxury- but let's be real the G-sedan is already a boat and I was after an OEM+ sporty vibe. After searching through some forum posts, I found a recommendation for "Charcoal" suede trim with foam backing from yourautotrim.com. The price was very reasonable, and shipping was quick.

While I awaited my order, I also purchased a thicker flat bottom wheel in Nappa Black Leather from an eBay vendor based in Russia. I wanted something that would replace the puny OEM steering wheel (not to mention the leather was showing a disproportionate amount of wear)- but the custom Carbon Fiber ones were a little too much for me. More on this mod shortly...

I also had the opportunity to score some Black Top Aero "Kenstyle" Rear Spats and a 07-09 rear Bumper, more on that journey here...

Finally the suede arrived and I began work on the interior conversion. I started with the A Pillars, then the B, and the C- leaving the headliner for last. These were fairly simple to do as the process just involved pealing back the OEM cloth, and using it as a rough outline to cut suede on. From there it was simply spraying glue (I used 3M super 90 as Ohio doesn't get super hot and this car is garaged) on both the suede and the plastic and then wrapping into place. I also used some duplicator flat black to paint the interior trim Here's some pics of the process:

In the midst of this, my care package from Russia arrived! Beautiful wheel, and makes a huge difference:

I just followed a few videos on YouTube to remove the old steering wheel and replace with the new. Total time was a little under an hour; mostly due to the fact that I was overly cautious handling the airbag.

With the wheel installed, it was off to remove the headliner and re-upholster it. Due to the minimal clearance that is available in the sedan, I actually ended up taking out the steering wheel (yes the one I JUST installed ), rear seats, AND front passenger seat- just so I could "taco" the headliner out of there.

I definitely had one of those "What have I done moments" looking at my car in pieces. But no turning back now!

You can see the little creases from "taco fold"- but I wasn't too worried as this was on the fabric itself. This is where the mod got ALOT more painstaking, as removing this fabric was slow and painful. After peeling the fabric, there was residue from the glue left in places- so the entire headliner had to be sanded down.

Once that was complete, it was time to lay out the new fabric. However, our headliner has a lot of curves and the sunroof poses additional challenges. After watching a few more videos, I decided to use a streamer to heat and stretch the fabric (with a little help from my old man) and then stretch it into place. Man, those upholstery guys earn every penny they make. But the results were definitely worth it:

Here's a a shot after everything got put back together:

Just completely transforms the vibe. Unfortunately I ran out of time to complete the Sun Visors (which quite a bit tricky), but overall I am very happy with how these changes helped tie in the Monaco Red. One more for good measure

Now that's OEM+
The following 2 users liked this post by deep0542:
EcstaticG37XS (02-29-2020), ZontheRocks (03-02-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 12:44 AM
deep0542
Registered Member

Mod Log: August '19- February '20

After the multitude of mods (not to mention the hole in my wallet) and with a major project going on at work- I simmered down on the mod train for awhile and just enjoyed the car. I was still awaiting the Rear Bumper and Spats to be painted, so there was really no progress that could be accomplished on that front.

But of course, with a modified car comes issues- so as I leave work one day I discover that one of my halos in my driver's headlight was out:

Didn't effect it's ability as a DD, but pretty annoying to run into issues 6 months after installing them. I contacted the builder, and we suspected that a faulty driver was to blame (vs a bad halo, which would require the lights to be opened back up). After a couple weeks, I was finally able to bring it to my friend with a lift (PSA: Always find a friend with a lift)- and we were able to confirm that a driver was to blame. The builder agreed to cover it under warranty; and as I had an upcoming vacation- I was in no hurry myself. More on this later...

Back in late 2018; I scored a set of V36 JDM Power folding mirrors with the G35 Winkers on them. This is a very rare combination (according the JDM Parts Ninjas, but I've found them to be quite reputable)- that said I've always longed for the 2010+ Winkers- as they just scream classy. Welp, one day these randomly show up on eBay with shipping included... and yeah you guys know how this goes. Just look at them

Around this time, I discovered the Throtl YouTube channel- and really enjoyed their 335i build. The goal for that build was an OEM+ Daily Driver, and it utilized a few carbon fiber accents in tandem to pull off a cohesive and stylish look.

I had originally picked up a TS-Style Diffuser (planned to run w/o the vortex generators); but I abandoned that when an AutoKitsX Carbon Fiber diffuser came available from a vendor on Instagram. While I've liked the design for 07-09 bumpers (which is what I'm switching into); their reputation for poor customer service, lead times, and shaky quality had scared me away. However since this was a third party seller, they had the product already in stock (not surprisingly, they were also trying to liquidate their stock as they had a bad experience with AK) and the pictures provided vouched for the quality of the piece. So I pulled the trigger.

Funny enough the day the diffuser arrived, I also got a call from the painter (FINALLY)- and picked up my 07-09 Rear Bumper and Spats.

Just beautiful. The painter felt bad for the time taken, so I only was charged $100 for the spats and the bumper. I'll take it. Unfortunately it was now November, and with winter approaching in Ohio I decided to hold on installing them until the spring. Until then I just gaze longingly at them in basement.

Right around Black Friday I started to look for deals on exhausts as the Tanabe sounded fine (albeit quiet) and would never assist with the modest performance goals I have for the car. I researched/listened to hundreds of sound clips and narrowed it down to: MotorDyne, Ark, and Fast Intentions.

Of course this is when it's great to have stated goals for modding, as reality sunk in that MD would most likely be too loud for daily use- and both Ark and MDs have reported fitment concerns, have utilize flex pipes then tend to rust out in the Ohio winters. I agonized on this choice for the remainder for 2019, and decided that I would pull the trigger in January '20 (after bonuses and such kicked in).

As such I decided to score a set of Carbon Fiber Mirror caps for Black Friday from EZ Splitters. Great price for a quality product- however I realized that they do not fit the bigger JDM Mirror housings.This has begun one of my big "Phase 2" projects for the winter: pull the folding mirror guts out of a JDM mirror and implant them into a USDM, add the Carbon Mirror caps, and top with the 2010+ JDM Winkers. Given my limited free time, I purchased a set of USDM aftermarket replacement "Kool Vue" mirrors (so I wouldn't have my car down)- however upon opening them up, I discovered their internals are completely different than OEM spec; which would have made my transplant job needlessly harder. So for now this project is on hold until I can find some reasonably priced USDM mirror housings.

In mid-January I decided to pull the trigger on a Fast Intentions 2.5" piping, 18" resonator exhaust. In the end, it was the build quality and fitment that solidified my choice- and FI has a sterling reputation for quality on the forums. Aesthetically, it also just fits in with my OEM+ build philosophy- with beautiful, subtle components. Now the waiting game commences- my estimated build window is 2/21-3/06.

Finally, after months of waiting to get the Halo driver replaced under warranty, I ended up just purchasing a new set from The Retrofit Source. Huge props to their customer service, as the drivers are not something readily available on their website. It's nice having all four halos functioning again

Now we're all caught up; looking forward to continuing the build in 2020!

The following 2 users liked this post by deep0542:
llebcire (02-29-2020), ZontheRocks (03-02-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 07:25 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
This will be the 3rd time that I read through your thread with a Sunday morning cup of coffee, and it continues to impress.

I imagine that with your attention to detail and the need to find new projects, I'm surprised you haven't started obsessing over your engine bay. I'd love to see whatever ideas came out of that.

Have you considered organizing a G meet-up for the OH, NY, PA region? You certainly have the planning skills, and a car hobby more than worthy to show off to like-minded G owners. The annual meet was a thing for 4 years running, but it's been a while, lacking someone motivated to revive it. Getting 15 to 30 G37 owners together with their cars for an all-day picnic is a whole lot of fun.

Last edited by Rochester; 02-29-2020 at 05:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
deep0542 (03-07-2020), llebcire (02-29-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 09:03 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
I need more info on those rear spats. I feel Infiniti left it incomplete not adding these to ALL sport models.
The make such an amazing front lip design and decent skirts but leave the rear naked.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:14 AM
deep0542
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
This will be the 3rd time that I read through your thread with a Sunday morning cup of coffee, and it continues to impress.

I imagine that with your attention to detail and the need to find new projects, I'm surprised you haven't started obsessing over your engine bay. I'd love to see whatever ideas came out of that.

Have you considered organizing a G meet-up for the OH, NY, PA region? You certainly have the planning skills, and a car hobby more than worthy to show off to like-minded G owners. The annual meet was a thing for 4 years running, but it's been a while, lacking someone motivated to revive it. Getting 15 to 30 G37 owners together with their cars for an all-day picnic is a whole lot of fun.
Appreciate the kind words! Engine bay is definitely on the list, but I kind of consider it a "Phase III" as there are quite a bit of projects that can be taken on- but the $/Mod ratio starts to get really skewed. Some of the prices I've seen for Oil Caps and such are just ridiculous.

I'd love to be a part of the meet, but taking the lead on organizing is just something that I don't have the bandwidth right now for. I'm taking a new role at work, and coupled with a near 1 month old- time is limited. But absolutely would love to participate and rally some Ohio G's to join!
Old 03-07-2020, 08:29 AM
deep0542
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
I need more info on those rear spats. I feel Infiniti left it incomplete not adding these to ALL sport models.
The make such an amazing front lip design and decent skirts but leave the rear naked.

I 100% agree with you, I've always felt like the rears of these cars just felt incomplete. They were made by a company called Black Top Aero, who are no longer around. I saw a seller on the Facebook forums selling these and I immediately snatched them up knowing how rare they are. Your only options would be to grab "Kenstyle" ones from Japan ($$$ and it requires a 07-09 bumper swap) or go for the Carbon Signal version from Dubai (also $$$). Here's another closeup of the Spats:

Old 03-08-2020, 11:30 AM
deep0542
Registered Member

UPDATE:

Just got a tracking number from Fast Intentions! Exhaust is scheduled to arrive Thursday, March 12th. So excited, but of course I'm scheduled to go out of town that weekend

Yesterday I started tackling my mirror project in earnest. I purchased a cheap USDM mirror from eBay, and opened up the guts of it. Unfortunately this too was different than the JDM brackets that hold the mirror, which means that I'll have to splice the "Tilt" wires from the JDM harness into the appropriate ones from the USDM version.

JDM on the left, USDM right. USDM bracket is required to mate to USDM mirrors (to preserve LHD mirror tuning)

The other issue that surfaced is the "cradle" that fits within the housing and holds the folding motor. On the JDM version, this is hollow to account for the motor. On USDM it is solid, as there is a metal piece that is held in by a spring. No matter, nothing a Dremel, Soldering Iron, and Screwdriver can't solve

JDM cradle on left, modified USDM cradle on right with JDM motor

Initially I wanted to keep the left side of the USDM cradle intact to "cup the motor", but it just wouldn't fit and had to be removed. Not my cleanest work, but I was racing against the clock (wife had made dinner plans ) and this will be hidden inside the mirror housing anyway.

The next steps will be to splice the JDM wires to the appropriate USDM functions so I can have the USDM mirror bracket mated. This is definitely shaping up to be an interesting little project.... stay tuned!
projectpanda13 (03-30-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 09:57 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts
Can you post more pics of the interior?
Old 03-30-2020, 10:12 PM
deep0542
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sobeIPL
Can you post more pics of the interior?
I really need to take more shots, just hadn't since the visors were never completed
Old 03-31-2020, 12:17 PM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts
What are your plans for visors? I haven’t been able to get a definitive on what visors will fit. I think the GT-R are the same but don’t quote me on that. I thought 370z would be the same too, but someone said they aren’t. Still not sure tho.

What did you do for the seat belt bits that aren’t black?
Old 04-01-2020, 06:09 PM
deep0542
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sobeIPL
What are your plans for visors? I haven’t been able to get a definitive on what visors will fit. I think the GT-R are the same but don’t quote me on that. I thought 370z would be the same too, but someone said they aren’t. Still not sure tho.

What did you do for the seat belt bits that aren’t black?
No idea yet, as I mentioned in another thread I purchased 370z visors but they don’t fit. Sedans have a clamshell design, most people end up just dying them black or taking them to a shop. I think I may choose the latter due to time, and have them wrap it black. Either that or look to see if a Q50 Red Sport/Nismo Sentra mirror is the same (but then I’d have the ugly warning label)
Old 04-01-2020, 11:30 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Here is how you can remove the label:

The following 2 users liked this post by RobC7:
deep0542 (04-12-2020), llebcire (04-02-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 11:33 PM
deep0542
Registered Member

Welp decided to do a thing with the little extra time due to Corona-geddon.

I am cutting up the 370z visors and fusing the OEM black parts into the G37. And suede wrapped to match the rest of my interior.

here’s a quick look

Rochester (04-13-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 08:38 PM
deep0542
Registered Member

Well it has indeed been a month since the last post. With the current COVID situation, work has had me super busy... with little time to make some posts about car stuff. A few highlights of info/plans for the next month:
  • The custom g37/370 visor project ended up getting scrapped. The visors looked great, but I couldn't get the snap on portion (where there's a cylinder on the visor part) to stay in place. Kept falling apart, and just wasn't worth it to me. TL;DR - this idea can work, just takes a lot of time and effort.
  • I have opted for Q60 visors which already are OEM black, but come with two cons:
    • Ugly warning labels won't come off with steam/goo gone. Looks like the Q60 guys use a patch from Sun Visor Solutions. I've got one on order and will report back
    • Length wise, these mirrors do not line up with the latch for G37 Sedan (of course its a direct fit for coupe). I have ordered Q60 Latches, and will be moving the latch point to accomodate
  • The visor project necessitated a modification to the headliner, and I've always wanted to redo my wrap job as the previous ones had slight imperfections that drove me nuts (Yes I know perfection is the enemy of good. But I have OCD issues...). I scored a brand new headliner for < $50, and will be re-wrapping this in Black Suede (vs the current charcoal). And while I am at it I will wrap all the A/B/C Pillars again in black suede as well. Reason is...
    • I have ordered Q50 Red Sport Handles and also installed QX70 B Pillar seatbelt trim to replace my painted pieces. The wear and tear was making the tan show.... and that whole OCD thing kicked in....
    • I will be attempting a "Starliner" install as well. I've always been an Astronomy nerd, and I've got a few ideas to help just personalize the car.
  • I'm still working on the older rear bumper conversion. Fitment to my surprise wasn't perfect, and that necessitated a swap of the rear reinforcement bar and foam. Even after doing that, the bumper juts out enough to annoy me. I've purchased '07 G35 rear brackets to replace mine to see if that fixes the issue. If that doesn't work, I'll have to take it to a collision shop to fix.
  • The Folding Mirror Project/Winkers is still underway, and will probably be next up with the visor project scrapped.

Whew, that was a quick run down. Lots of stuff accomplished, but always way more to do!

Last edited by deep0542; 01-06-2022 at 10:09 PM.

Quick Reply: deep0542's 2013 G37xS Sedan