Build Threads

Found my unicorn!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2020, 06:28 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts

I see a tail-light mod in your future. JDM tails, maybe? Or bake them open, doing some custom painting, and a light coat of VHT Nightshades on the inside of the lenses.

Sucks. But like they say, what doesn't kill you is an opportunity to upgrade.
The following users liked this post:
ngolbuff (08-27-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 07:54 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 482 Likes on 404 Posts
Just the small backup light portion on the trunklid - not the main lights. AFAIK, the JDM and USDM parts are the same for that part. If they are not, someone let me know the differences because in pictures there isn't anything visible.

I'm pretty sure I'll just get replacements from somewhere - I actually like the look of the stock taillight housings, especially on a black car. It is unique. If anything, I'd tint the clear part red to match the rest of it.

I looked into baking them open / painting when I first started messing with the car, but:
  1. They're plastic welded so no baking - you have to cut them open and pray you can reseal them properly,
  2. I've seen a pair where the inside shiny parts were painted black - actually didn't look as cool as I'd hoped
So, sticking with OEM for now.

Last edited by rotarymike; 08-27-2020 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:29 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

<surfaces after almost a month offline, busy with work> Holy carp I need some grease therapy time... the car is feeling unloved.

I did manage to bend my plastic harbor freight ramps - putting the CX5 up for an oil change, they slid a few inches and it accordion-ed the side walls a little. So they're in the NOPE pile now - need to find some metal ramps, or just make some out of 2x12s. Also found my drain pan had a hole, so I guess I'm done with fluid changes until I go shopping. At the rate we're driving the Infiniti won't need it until next year and the CX5 should be good until we start traveling for holidays - if we actually do.

I've got a new alignment that is better, but still not great. Swaybars to install. RJM pedal to install still. Interior is still mostly in my garage. Picked up some carbon flake vinyl and going to test it on the trim above the glove box. SOOO much work on the car to do, so little actual spare time.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:14 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
I did manage to bend my plastic harbor freight ramps - putting the CX5 up for an oil change, they slid a few inches and it accordion-ed the side walls a little. So they're in the NOPE pile nowbox. SOOO much work on the car to do, so little actual spare time.
If your life depends on it, don't but it from Harbor Freight.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:19 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

True. I usually pop jackstands under the frame rails as a quick safety check - this time I actually jacked the car a little off the ramps and let the weight fully rest on the stands.

Which is what I do when doing any substantial service to the cars - I've got normal jack stands and truck jackstands that lift the car higher. But for oil changes/messing with front bumper internals, I used the ramps to get myself just a bit more.

I'm trying to come up with a way to cut a continuous ramp on stacked 2x12s. I think that is ultimately more solid than a steel or plastic ramp, and cheaper than the solid raceramps by a good bit.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:02 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
I got my ramps from Rock Auto and while they are sturdy and show no signs of giving, I still put jacks under the car for reassurance.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I did manage to bend my plastic harbor freight ramps - putting the CX5 up for an oil change
Hey, I did an oil change today too! On the wife's Forester.

About 2 or 3 years ago, I bought a pair of Race Ramps for the G, but use them for all my cars. Easiest damn ramps I've ever used. Wide, sturdy, it's all good.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:16 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I'm getting too much side-eye from the wife when I suggest those (at $300 for the set). If they had some that didn't involve the word 'race'...
Old 09-19-2020, 07:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I'm getting too much side-eye from the wife when I suggest those (at $300 for the set). If they had some that didn't involve the word 'race'...
Totally understand. Buying nonessential car stuff when property taxes come due. Awkward.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:23 PM
SwiftKit
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice G, how much did the dealer charge for that lip?
Old 09-21-2020, 07:28 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Thanks!

The lip came from ebay, actually. Just make sure when you're looking at them that you get a polyurethane one and not a fiberglass one. About $150 shipping IIRC. Unpainted, unprimed, so there is some work to be done - if you don't have a black car spending the $ for the dealer pre-painted one might be cheaper than body shop time to paint.
The following users liked this post:
SwiftKit (09-21-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 05:04 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

New back-up lights coming from amazon. Didn't like any of the commercial options (IE, the one) and I thought long about removing the reflector entirely and replacing with a panel LED, but IMHO not worth the effort. Also white LEDs typically are coated with yellow so it would look weird.

If the weather is promising, maybe I'll see where I put the Skyline badge and get that on the trunk.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:46 PM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
New back-up lights coming from amazon. Didn't like any of the commercial options (IE, the one) and I thought long about removing the reflector entirely and replacing with a panel LED, but IMHO not worth the effort. Also white LEDs typically are coated with yellow so it would look weird.

If the weather is promising, maybe I'll see where I put the Skyline badge and get that on the trunk.
Link for your lights? What did you end up going with?
Old 09-28-2020, 08:33 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Originally Posted by ngolbuff
Link for your lights? What did you end up going with?
oem, or OEM replacements.

For Infiniti G35 Sedan 07-08/G37 Sedan 09-13/G25 Sedan 11-12/Q40 Sedan 15 Inner Tail Light Assembly Inner Pair Driver and Passenger Side
Amazon Amazon

Ill post reviews once they’re in.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:08 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

New reverse lights came today. Pleasantly surprised at packaging, new in box DEPO brand. Somewhat different than OEM - first notice is that the rear plastic part is chrome plated everywhere, including the back.

Look good, have the trim seal and the adhesive on the back. Friday I'm off so maybe then.

Quick Reply: Found my unicorn!