Build Threads

Arxylis's 08 Coupe build

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 10:15 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts
Update time!

So, after stopping by the shop last week to check out the harness issue, I checked a couple of other things out while the car was on the lift. I had noticed last time that there was evidence of the rear differential bushing leaking.

The motor mounts were in need of some love as well but I didn't get a pic of them, though. I decided that since the engine needs to be dropped back out, and that the car will be spending another couple of weeks in the shop anyway, I would go ahead and get the old/failing mounts replaced and just be done with it.

So here's all of the new goodies that are being put on now:

Z1 Motorsports Urethane motor mounts

Z1 Motorsports Urethane transmission mount

Z1 Motorsports Full Differential Upgrade Kit with Whiteline bushings

Now, after everything gets put back together I'll have a barely broken in engine, fresh transmission fluid with a shift kit, fresh diff fluid with upgraded cooling capacity, and beefy mounts all the way around. This should hopefully mean that my drivetrain will be good to go for quite some time.

I'm curious about the amount of extra noise and vibration I'll experience. I had urethane motor and diff mounts in my Evo. It didn't bother me any but that thing was a completely different animal to the G. Unless it's just atrocious, I'm sure it's a compromise that I can live with.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:05 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Another nice round of upgrades, look forward to your impressions. BTW, how is your harness situation coming along? Hopefully it didn't add a bunch more labor to your tab
Old 11-03-2016, 12:51 AM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Originally Posted by blnewt
Another nice round of upgrades, look forward to your impressions. BTW, how is your harness situation coming along? Hopefully it didn't add a bunch more labor to your tab
So far so good. They've got the engine dropped back out and will be swapping the harness out in the next day or two. I'm hoping to have the car back by the end of next week.

The owner of the shop said on my last visit that he wouldn't charge me any more than what he originally quoted. I would imagine they will tack on a couple more hours for the rear diff job since it wasn't part of the original plan.

This is my first experience with this shop, and so far it has been great. They also give 20% off parts and labor to Military, Veterans, and Emergency Services personnel which was a pleasant surprise.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (11-03-2016)
Old 11-05-2016, 02:51 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Got a few other goodies that I need to put in once I get my car back:

EXLED 6000k map light. These will replace the single LED bulbs I have in there currently

Cabin air filter to replace the old one that hasn't been replaced in forever.

Navtool, so I can finally get my aftermarket backup camera working right and get my Android setup working the way I want it to.

Here's the vinyl wrap I plan on using to go over the Washi trim pieces. The picture doesn't really do it any justice.

I've got a couple of things on order as well.

I got the idea for this from someone on a G37 Facebook group. It fits perfectly in the switch blank between the seat heater switches.

Brake light flasher with accelerometer and gyro. I know these things are pretty polarizing as far as opinions. The tail light on my motorcycle has this feature and I think it's great. Too many asshats out there that aren't paying any attention while driving. I plan on wiring this into the third brake light in the spoiler.

I also installed the OEM interior accent lighting kit just before taking the car to the shop but I neglected to get any pictures of it. Other than being a nice easy plug and play, it doesn't really put out much light.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:07 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Well... The car is ALMOST done. Just waiting on a replacement O2 sensor that was seized up and needs replacing. That should be arriving at the shop on Monday. After that, they said there's about a day of work to put into it before it's done. So I'm hoping *fingers crossed* that it will be ready for pickup on Wednesday after I get off work.

The shop has been great to work with and the delays haven't been their fault, but the issues that have popped up along the way have been frustrating. 7 weeks is the longest I've ever had a car down for service, and with colder weather rapidly approaching I would like to get some enjoyment out of it before old man winter comes.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:53 AM
VRG37S

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
So excited to see someone installing the Z1 MM, looking forward to the review on them. The build quality on the Z1 stuff is top notch IMO. I have the urethane trans mount and diff bushings already. Been considering the MM's for sometime now, however just been waiting for a review.
Old 11-11-2016, 10:49 AM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Originally Posted by VRG37S
So excited to see someone installing the Z1 MM, looking forward to the review on them. The build quality on the Z1 stuff is top notch IMO. I have the urethane trans mount and diff bushings already. Been considering the MM's for sometime now, however just been waiting for a review.
How do you like the other mounts? My only concern is that I will end up with too much vibration for my liking. I know that's subjective, but as long as I don't feel like my innards are being scrambled while driving I suppose it's ok hahaha.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:25 PM
VRG37S

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Arxylis
How do you like the other mounts? My only concern is that I will end up with too much vibration for my liking. I know that's subjective, but as long as I don't feel like my innards are being scrambled while driving I suppose it's ok hahaha.
I did the Energy Suspension urethane diff bushings first. My oem setup was fine I just wanted a performance upgrade. I didn't notice any increase in NVH at all.

Next up was the Z1 urethane trans mount. I noticed a little extra NVH upon startup and at idle you don't feel it at all. I only really notice it now at high rpms. Because in general the motor/trans is making more noise and vibration itself at higher rpms. When the car is idling at 1,000-1,100 rpm that's when I feel the vibration the most. It's a great mod however coupled with my Trans go shift kit the trans doesn't move at all and delivers more power to the ground. This is what the butt dyno tells me, that's the only dyno I've ever used LOL!!!!

The Z owners rave about the Z1 urethane MM's, and I honestly just haven't had the ***** to dive in head first and install them without a review to go off of. I know extra vibration is gonna be expected but the question is just how much.

I'm used to extra noises and vibration as my G is loaded up with SPL suspension parts. However it's still comfortable to me in a way and not too extreme.

Keep us posted I'm eagerly waiting results
Arxylis (11-11-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 12:55 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
is the navtool the latest version 3.0? There is no pricing or compatibility update on their site for our cars for the 3.0 version only the older one. does it work without any hiccups?
Old 11-12-2016, 09:17 AM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Originally Posted by Presto
is the navtool the latest version 3.0? There is no pricing or compatibility update on their site for our cars for the 3.0 version only the older one. does it work without any hiccups?
The instructions that came with the Navtool box said that I was given a "free upgrade" to the 3.0 version. From what I can tell, the only difference in the new version is that it doesn't come with a switch anymore to change modes. That has to be purchased separately (any normally-open SPST momentary switch should work). The instructions are also a little vague, not calling out all of the wire colors and what they are for.

I'll give a review on the unit after I get it installed, it's currently sitting in a closet with the other parts that need to be put in after I get the car back from the shop.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:29 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Time for another update! The car should be done by the end of the week, the owner and main mechanic will be going out of town until Saturday, but he's giving me an extra discount for the delay. That works for me since due to my work schedule I wouldn't have been able to pick it up until Friday morning or Saturday anyway.

I also ordered a little something to compliment my mods:

I figured since I've got most of the basic breathing mods done that it would be a good idea to tune it. I don't really think I'll be doing much else drivetrain wise unless I go FI at some point in the future.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:23 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
I really enjoyed reading your build. Let us know how the tune turns out for you. I hear mixed reviews about visconti
Old 11-19-2016, 05:08 PM
Arxylis
Average Joe

I haven't heard anything back from the shop, but they won't be open until Monday anyway. I did, however, get my ECUTek goodies in today!

Presto (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 01:06 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
this is the new ecutek thingy which plugs into your obd? Does ecutek work with 2008 models?

Can you adjust the traction control using the phone app? the 370z guys can hijack one of their guages and adjust traction control which us G owners cant.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:20 AM
Arxylis
Average Joe

Originally Posted by Presto
this is the new ecutek thingy which plugs into your obd? Does ecutek work with 2008 models?
Hmmm. I started looking into it when you asked if Ecutek works on 2008's. Seems like my crap luck has struck again...

From what I have gathered Ecutek will either not work at all, or not allow for any advanced features due to the flash memory on the '08 ECU being smaller (1GB vs 1.5GB of 2009 and up).

I sent an email to John Visconti to try and get additional information. I sure hope that I haven't spent my money on a paperweight. The Visconti tuning website doesn't state anywhere that there are any incompatibilities with the 2008 model year. All it asks is if you have a manual or auto.

If it doesn't work hopefully I can return it. Otherwise, I'll have to try to sell it myself to recoup funds for an Uprev tune.