Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 05:47 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
That looks better than I was expecting. Glad you left the chrome as-is.
Thanks! I was really surprised by how much better the chrome looked than black on my car once I put the Skyline badge on. I had black vinyl to put on the "Skyline" and the "370," but I started to do the "S" in Skyline and it looked awful. Not what I expected at all.

I am also surprised how good the Nissan badge looks on my car. I think the main reason I waited so long to do this is that I like the Infiniti badge a lot better and I feared that the Nissan badge would cheapen the look of the car. Not so with the Skyline badge next to it. For me it seems to add some validity to all of the mods if that makes sense. I just hope the Nissan badge on the front grille looks good. It looks a bit strange with no badge at the moment.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:56 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
That looks way better than the mental image I had. Bravo!
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (05-26-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 10:07 PM
Peepz
Registered Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Good job! I originally was going to keep mine chrome as well but I thought it being black would tie in perfect with my black roof and black valence. Your pics make me contemplate on getting skyline lettering now. And I fully agree with you on the Nissan badge looking good. It does differentiate our cars from the rest.
4DRZ (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 08:51 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Peepz
Good job! I originally was going to keep mine chrome as well but I thought it being black would tie in perfect with my black roof and black valence. Your pics make me contemplate on getting skyline lettering now. And I fully agree with you on the Nissan badge looking good. It does differentiate our cars from the rest.
Your black/white Nissan badges look awesome on your car and I was planning to make mine look the same. But for some reason my Nissan badge just did not look right in black. Especially with the Skyline letters so shiny that they really popped on the trunk. I am really happy how it turned out, but not at all what I was expecting.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:15 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Not my thread, but I'm going to drop this pic here anyway, for comparison and added context to your current project.

I took over-the-top efforts to place my SKYLINE badges exactly where the INFINITI letters were, and it sure looks like you did the same.

Old 05-26-2020, 11:49 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Good eye Rochester! I forgot to mention that I used the measurements you gave me from the bottom of the trunk to place the Skyline badge. It was definitely difficult to measure with the bend in the bottom of the trunk like you mentioned. I believe I also tried to center the letters with the back up lights as that was the only reference point I could use to eyeball it. I measured width wise between the tail lights a bunch of times, but I am sure it needed to be done in mm. So I measured the width of the badge to determine the center so I could line it up with the Nissan badge and the rear view camera. Yes, you could say I am a bit of a perfectionist.

I couldn't help thinking that there must be an easier way to do this. It was not until I noticed that the blue styrofoam on the "370GT" matched up with the trunk shape that I wondered if the styrofoam on the Skyline badge was supposed to line up with the kink in the trunk. I think it was designed that way for the coupe which is odd since the coupe and sedan have different part numbers for the "Skyline" badge. So all you coupe owners out there: I think this might be a much easier upgrade.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:04 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Not my thread, but I'm going to drop this pic here anyway, for comparison and added context to your current project.

I took over-the-top efforts to place my SKYLINE badges exactly where the INFINITI letters were, and it sure looks like you did the same.

Funny story: I put Skyline/Nissan badges on my V35 and security towed the car from my community because they didnt have a 2005 Nissan Skyline 350gt in their files. Just a white 05 g35 sedan

They ended up ubering me to the tow yard and got the car out for me. Amazes me the stupidity of non car folks at times.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:27 AM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm a little worried about if I get pulled over being given a hard time because the paperwork doesn't match what's on the car, but haven't had to worry about that yet. Closest I got was one of the cops where I work asking about Skylines because they weren't legal to import.

Here's pics of when I did my coupe. I don't remember if the foam helped with the Skyline lettering, but I tried centering it based off of where the Fuji logo was. I think it turned out okay. I also noticed that the 370GT was angled like 4DRZ mentioned, but I trusted the foam cutout. I think my NISMO badge is a little crooked, but I got the 370Z to replace the IPL one I took off. It's good enough if you don't get out a ruler to measure the angle.
The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan-hr0sqwv.jpg

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan-cda6ihw.jpg
Old 05-28-2020, 10:01 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
If they give you any issues you can always show them the Vin sticker on the door and they can cross reference the Vin. It's not illegal to re-badge your car, It would be if you tried to swap vins but nobody is trying to do that.
In my experience their failure costed them. I wouldn't sweat it.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:05 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
If it were me, those NISMO and 370GT badges would be parallel to the SKYLINE badge. That alignment there on the Coupe looks odd.

I couldn't NISMO my car. It was enough rationalization to SKYLINE it.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:02 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
Funny story: I put Skyline/Nissan badges on my V35 and security towed the car from my community because they didnt have a 2005 Nissan Skyline 350gt in their files. Just a white 05 g35 sedan

They ended up ubering me to the tow yard and got the car out for me. Amazes me the stupidity of non car folks at times.
I wondered about that sort of thing. One time I parked overnight downtown and got a ticket on my Subaru that did not say Subaru on the trunk. The ticket was for a Honda (dumb cop) and I tried to fight it, but they did also have my plate number. Maybe in the future if I get in trouble I can say someone must have stolen my plate.

Originally Posted by AdamBritt
I'm a little worried about if I get pulled over being given a hard time because the paperwork doesn't match what's on the car, but haven't had to worry about that yet. Closest I got was one of the cops where I work asking about Skylines because they weren't legal to import.

Here's pics of when I did my coupe. I don't remember if the foam helped with the Skyline lettering, but I tried centering it based off of where the Fuji logo was. I think it turned out okay. I also noticed that the 370GT was angled like 4DRZ mentioned, but I trusted the foam cutout. I think my NISMO badge is a little crooked, but I got the 370Z to replace the IPL one I took off. It's good enough if you don't get out a ruler to measure the angle.

Your Nismo badge curves up to the left and the 370GT badge curves up to the right. It almost works with the curvature of your trunk. I don't think I could pull that off with my sedan with all the extra real estate of my trunk.
Old 05-28-2020, 03:32 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So yesterday I turned on my A/C for the 1st time this year because it was 85+ and humid, but it no longer works. Bummer. Hopefully, whatever is wrong is covered under my Zurich vehicle service contract. I hardly ever use the A/C, but there are times I need to use it. Anyone else have this problem? I guess it is possible for a 7 year old car.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:33 PM
cv129
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
So yesterday I turned on my A/C for the 1st time this year because it was 85+ and humid, but it no longer works. Bummer. Hopefully, whatever is wrong is covered under my Zurich vehicle service contract. I hardly ever use the A/C, but there are times I need to use it. Anyone else have this problem? I guess it is possible for a 7 year old car.

Probably just low on refrigerant. I assume compressor doesn't even come on. It happens.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:48 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cv129
Probably just low on refrigerant. I assume compressor doesn't even come on. It happens.
Makes sense. Does that cost much to fill up?
Old 06-01-2020, 10:06 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
I filled mine with some AC pro from Advanced after my CAI rubbed a hole in my hard line. Just shake, attach to the low pressure port and turn the bottle sideways every 15 seconds or so. Comes with a gauge you use when filling so you know when to stop.
4DRZ (06-01-2020)

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan