Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 02:05 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by 72chevnj
4DRZ - Did you swap out the Tein Basis or still using them? After reading almost every thread on them I am torn between the basis street z and the flex z. I have a 12' 6MT sedan and use it as a daily. I fear that the basis will be too 'soft' and that is why I am leaning towards the flex.... Just wanted to see what you decided on as you wanted to replace the basis. Great Build btw
Thanks for the interest. I am still running Tein Basis and they are probably the best riding coilovers I have ever had on a street car and I have tried lots of different brands. The basis will definitely not be too soft for the street. I have tracked this car multiple times and they were never too soft for that which is way more extreme than anything you will do on the street. Any coilover will normally ride a lot rougher on the street than just about any stiff sports car suspension. (A Nismo 370Z is about the only car I can think of that is bouncier on a rough road than the Tein Basis)

The Flex use a solid metal top mount and have significantly stiffer spring rates. Those would be decent for a track day, but you will probably bounce all over town if you have any roads that are even reasonably bumpy. I had Tein Flex before on another car and they were pretty bumpy for the street.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 03-31-2020 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:44 PM
72chevnj
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the input and yes believe the basis will be a better option and everything I need. Any vendors see this - shoot me pm with quote for tein basis z for 12' rwd sedan 6mt haha

Old 03-31-2020, 02:47 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by 72chevnj
Any vendors see this - shoot me pm with quote for tein basis z for 12' rwd sedan 6mt haha
Because all the really cool vendors troll the OP's build thread, fiercely competing with each other, and poised to strike like a piranha.

Yep, that's exactly how this all works.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
72chevnj (04-01-2020), jpowersjr2 (03-31-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 07:46 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Because all the really cool vendors troll the OP's build thread, fiercely competing with each other, and poised to strike like a piranha.

Yep, that's exactly how this all works.
I know, right? All the time I'm like, "Hey cool vendors, could you please stop trolling me?" It is ridiculous how often that happens. These piranha bites are getting out of hand. As a moderator, could you reluctantly do something to solve this problem? Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
72chevnj (04-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 08:16 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
As a moderator, could you reluctantly do something to solve this problem? Thanks!
I could shut it down. Or you could stop being so damn irresistible.

The ball is in your court... tens of people await your decision.
The following 4 users liked this post by Rochester:
72chevnj (04-01-2020), BULL (04-01-2020), Lego_Maniac (04-01-2020), ngolbuff (04-03-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 10:41 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I could shut it down. Or you could stop being so damn irresistible.

The ball is in your court... tens of people await your decision.
Being irresistible has always been an issue for me- you sure know how to cut to my core. Tens of people? That sounds like a very generous estimate. Must be an April Fool's joke.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:05 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Being irresistible has always been an issue for me- you sure know how to cut to my core. Tens of people? That sounds like a very generous estimate. Must be an April Fool's joke.
It's only tens because we're all locked in our houses with nothing better to do
Old 04-01-2020, 02:21 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
It's only tens because we're all locked in our houses with nothing better to do
Good point. You guys sure know how to make me feel all warm and fuzzy.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:20 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Well... <popcorn_meme.gif>
Old 04-02-2020, 07:15 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

With the warmer weather I was finally able to install the passenger side "Skyline" kick plate so I now have both sides done. I am holding off on the rear kick plates since I am sure the oem ones will get pretty well worn as my daughter gets older and starts climbing in the back seat by herself. The warmer weather combined with the plastic razor blades to remove the original adhesive made the job go A LOT faster. I have already started ordering some of the other parts to change over all the badging to Nissan Skyline. (Essentially, I think I am trying to make it feel a bit like a new car so I keep it longer as I have a feeling that the car's replacement has probably not even been made yet.)

These are a nice upgrade and look a little more sophisticated with the individual cut letters.

Definitely use a heat gun, goo gone, and get some of these plastic razor blades if you are going to swap the kick plates and remove the original adhesive. I only had to use one plastic razor blade. I would also get some 3M body panel adhesive strips to go over the adhesive on the Skyline kick plates. The Nissan adhesive was only sticky for a moment under extreme heat (heat gun) and did not stick out far enough to actually touch the car on the lower half. The 3M tape fixed all of those issues.

Anyone in need of a passenger side oem illuminated kick plate?

Last edited by 4DRZ; 04-02-2020 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:56 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I sent in for new vanity plates today since my 4DR Z CAR plates will not make much sense with the upcoming Skyline badges. I decided on SV D MNLS (save the manuals). Now the wait begins for them to arrive...

Old 04-09-2020, 06:05 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I have started the transition to Nissan Skyline 370GT badging throughout the car. Originally, I ordered new floormats, but the embroidery looked plain and I realized that the emblems on our oem mats were just iron on patches. So I ordered custom patches for the front mats that still won't be here for a while.

In the meantime I looked high and low for interesting Nissan patches (there aren't many) for the rear floor mat. I found this cool Nismo patch and just installed it. The fit and finish is good. If you do something like this, be sure not to get the carpet too hot with the iron as it will melt. Don't ask.

Attached Files
File Type: html
Nismo patch.html (514.9 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by 4DRZ; 04-09-2020 at 09:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Joyryde (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 07:37 PM
Joyryde
Banned

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
That actually looks OEM. I hope you did not have to pay the Nismo tax they put on the American market. Really good job. I've been looking at patches too before, and I recall there were patches from the Nissan Patrol (Armada in US) that had black patches with white Nissan lettering. I believe it was 1x3 inches in size.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:33 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Joyryde
That actually looks OEM. I hope you did not have to pay the Nismo tax they put on the American market. Really good job. I've been looking at patches too before, and I recall there were patches from the Nissan Patrol (Armada in US) that had black patches with white Nissan lettering. I believe it was 1x3 inches in size.
Thanks! I thought it turned out especially well since the color matched so perfectly with the carpet and I just eye balled it online. I got lucky. It was only $4.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:36 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I just ordered the JDM "Nissan" steering wheel cover to complete the interior transformation from Infiniti over to Nissan Skyline. This includes new Sparco seats and "Skyline" illuminated kick plates. I struggled with buying this part because it is by far the most expensive part just for a Nissan badge. I think it ships from Japan so it may be a while, but it sounds like I have time as our state just announced our stay at home order got extended until May 26th.

Now I just have to figure out the badges on the outside of the car. I was going to try no badge on the front grille for a while and see how that looks and then do all the oem trunk badges. But yesterday Peepz posted the picture below of his trunk and I really like how it looks. It appears that he painted the Nissan badge (and maybe the 370) flat black except for the Nissan letters. I am still waiting on the details, but it got me thinking about a blacked out badge for the front grille with chrome Nissan letters. Somewhat like the Nissan midnight edition cars. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan