Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 12:13 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
You went ahead and got the Bride ones? Or just are using a comparable spec resistor?

A thought - you might need a milspec resistor. Milspec usually means a wider heat range without substantial change in resistance; that is often a problem with cheaper car electronics - the components can't handle the heat range of a car interior or engine bay.
I have a resistor with the same specs as the Bride for a fraction of the price. Thought I would try that first before burning through a set of Bride resistors. I will keep the Milspec in mind, but these things really don't get hot at all.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:18 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Milspec refers more to how the value of the resistor changes with ambient heat. For example, here in Charleston temps in a non-running car can vary from -10F to 145F. Most electrical components are specced to be within tolerance of their marked value of 32F to 113F (Commercial grade). Milspec is -67F to 257F (according to wikipedia, but that's about what I remember from my Air Force electrical days). So if your resistor is commercial temp rated and the inside of your car is 130 on a summer day, it could be lower than the marked value. That would probably cause an error in the sensing system. The actual airbag squib is tungsten or nichrome wire so it is less sensitive to ambient temp for resistance changes.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:49 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
Milspec refers more to how the value of the resistor changes with ambient heat. For example, here in Charleston temps in a non-running car can vary from -10F to 145F. Most electrical components are specced to be within tolerance of their marked value of 32F to 113F (Commercial grade). Milspec is -67F to 257F (according to wikipedia, but that's about what I remember from my Air Force electrical days). So if your resistor is commercial temp rated and the inside of your car is 130 on a summer day, it could be lower than the marked value. That would probably cause an error in the sensing system. The actual airbag squib is tungsten or nichrome wire so it is less sensitive to ambient temp for resistance changes.
That makes more sense. Hey, it only took an air force electrician to maybe figure this out. I honestly don't think it has anything to do with temperature though. It has never been exceptionally cold or hot when they stopped working. I am really hoping it is just due to the fact that all the previous suggestions were just slightly off of the resistance that Bride is using.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:56 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

These things popped up in my instagram feed the other day. I think if you did not have illuminated kick plates already these would look kind of cool.

https://www.carfitg.com/products/car...MaAt5REALw_wcB

Old 02-17-2020, 08:45 PM
Rooster Tail
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
LMAO. The first thing I bought for the car were the projector door lamps. Corny, but for $9, who cares.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
I had projector door lights for a while until they got all fuzzy and useless. It was a fun little mod, but not one I wanted to keep up with year after year.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:31 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I had projector door lights for a while until they got all fuzzy and useless. It was a fun little mod, but not one I wanted to keep up with year after year.
What made them fuzzy? Did the lenses just get dirty easily? These are sure a lot cheaper than the ones that come from the factory. I am sure they are of a much lower quality though.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

For about a year, the image was crisp and bright. Then they devolved over time into a dull, shapeless puddle. First the driver side, then the other.

I might get them again someday, IDK. This might sound silly, but I genuinely don't drive the G much at night. Most nighttime driving involves the family.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:38 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Makes sense Rochester. I would consider them, but I think they would take away from my Skyline kick plates that I am really digging right now. Or Skyline kick plate since I still have yet to install the passenger side. I am waiting for warmer weather for that.
Old 02-22-2020, 01:52 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Now that I have (one) Skyline kick plate installed I really like they way it looks. This has made me think a lot more about changing the remaining badges on the car over to Nissan Skyline badges. I have been thinking about this for years, but have been hesitant to switch due to liking the Infiniti Fuji emblem better than the Nissan emblem and "Skyline" immediately making people think of the GT-R. However, the Nissan emblem is growing on me and I think I am ok with the Skyline badge as long as my trunk also has the 370GT emblem. My trunk would look like the first picture below. What do you guys think?

I am pretty sure this is what I would do to the trunk. I might leave my custom front grille blank for a bit or eventually add a Nissan emblem. I would probably get a Nissan airbag cover.

Because I was not initially a huge fan of the Nissan emblem I also considered this look, but I think it is too plain.

This is my second choice, but I think it might look a bit odd with the lettering at different heights, especially since I think the gap is more pronounced on my sedan compared to this coupe. Thoughts?

The symmetry here is great and it looks classy. Rochester, you are going to hate me for this, but the Infiniti Fuji mixed with the Skyline lettering is just all wrong to me. (I know, I think this model did actually exist in England, but it still looks very strange to me.) To me I also need the 370GT emblem just so all my car nut friends don't razz me saying dumb things like, "Skyline? You think you have a GT-R now?"

This car is just plain confused. An Infiniti 370GT??
Old 02-22-2020, 02:21 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
The symmetry here is great and it looks classy. Rochester, you are going to hate me for this, but the Infiniti Fuji mixed with the Skyline lettering is just all wrong to me. (I know, I think this model did actually exist in England, but it still looks very strange to me.)
No worries. You do you, because your car. My only recommendation is that you find balance in the sight lines, so that whatever you do it looks like it came that way.

To your point, I think the design of the Fuji is more classy than the Burger.

IDK if I ever told this story, but last summer I was getting a couple slices, watching through the window as this guy did a walk-around of my car. He came in, and asked if that was the new Infiniti Skyline. I had to tell him, "No, that's an eight year old G37."

Last edited by Rochester; 02-22-2020 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:47 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
No worries. You do you, because your car. My only recommendation is that you find balance in the sight lines, so that whatever you do it looks like it came that way.

To your point, I think the design of the Fuji is more classy than the Burger.

IDK if I ever told this story, but last summer I was getting a couple slices, watching through the window as this guy did a walk-around of my car. He came in, and asked if that was the new Infiniti Skyline. I had to tell him, "No, that's an eight year old G37."
I agree with you on the sight lines which is why I think I have to put the Nissan emblem on the trunk if I am going to have the 370GT back there. I would prefer for it just to say "Skyline" and "370GT," but I am unsure how to make that look right.

That's a cool story, but what do you mean, "getting a couple slices?" Pizza? I am amazed how well our paint continues to look like new on these cars. I washed my car the other day and one of our new detail kids asked me if I just got it since it looked so clean. I had to agree- the paint still shines like new.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:42 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

If I switch over to Nissan Skyline 370GT badges I also need to figure out a new license plate. The "4DR Z CAR" won't make much sense anymore. With all the talk about manual transmissions going away I was thinking something along the lines of Car and Driver's "Save the manuals" campaign. Here in WI we get 7 letters on our plates. Someone already took "SAVE 6MT," but other variations are still available. What is your favorite of the options below? I am also up for other creative ideas.

SV D MNLS
SAV D 6MT
SAV 6MT
SAV MNLS
6MT SAVR
6MT DRVR
Old 02-26-2020, 02:09 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I think I have a winner for a new license plate after I switch over to Nissan Skyline 370GT badges. What do you guys think of 6MT 4 ME?
Old 02-26-2020, 02:48 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I think I have a winner for a new license plate after I switch over to Nissan Skyline 370GT badges. What do you guys think of 6MT 4 ME?
6GEARS
CD009
NOLIFT6
NVRLFT
370GT
SKYLINE

Many options, one of the hardest one if you ask me.

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan