Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 12:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Here's a thought... what if you just removed the trim seal along the back? Or all the trim seal, for that matter, during track days.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:27 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
That's dead air - no real flow at the base of the windshield (which is why the interior air duct is there). I would think you need to yarn-tuft the back of the hood and the bottom of the windscreen and see what flow does with and without the seal.

Honestly, I feel like I need to yarn-tuft the whole car and see what's going on as I can't find much science on the specific aero properties of our cars.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:59 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Here's a thought... what if you just removed the trim seal along the back? Or all the trim seal, for that matter, during track days.
At this point you can experiment with hood spacers for track days, the G/Z bay is not meant for it to disperse trapped air though we know it's there. Technically a tight engine compartment should prohibit air from being trap and force it down so it can exit except it you have an under guard/shield it really doesn't have anywhere to go. This is why I feel like vents would work significantly in these cars or lifting the back part of the hood.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:19 PM
Rochester
Administrator

OK, then how about simply removing the under-tray during a track event? Is that something that's regularly done?
Old 10-18-2019, 03:53 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
These are all good ideas guys, but if you look at the size of aftermarket vents you will see that any of them that provide actual venting are significantly larger than any of the non-braced sections of our hood. Another issue is that even if the vents were that small they would look ridiculous from the outside because they would all have to be at weird angles. Finally, I was strongly advised by more than one guy in our body shop not to cut up our factory hood (especially if it is aluminum) because the metal becomes extremely wavy and hard to work with when you cut a hole in it.

OK, then how about simply removing the under-tray during a track event? Is that something that's regularly done?
Getting rid of the smooth under tray on my car would slow down the air underneath my car and create lift which would not be great on track. I think most of the hot air would rise up and try to get out the top of the hood so I am not sure how effective that would be. The ideal solution would be a vented hood, but why are they all so damn ugly for our cars?
Old 10-22-2019, 09:58 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 1,069 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have a link to this Auto Armor Ceramic coating? Google and Amazon searches yield mixed results. Thx all!
Old 10-22-2019, 11:11 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have a link to this Auto Armor Ceramic coating? Google and Amazon searches yield mixed results. Thx all!
https://www.ecpinc.net/auto-armor/ It is stuff we carry at work. ECP is based out of the Chicago area and provides coatings for just about every industry. They even make the plastic wrap that gets put on the outside of vehicles that are being delivered by semi & train. The stuff is not cheap because it comes with a huge warranty that even covers things like dents, scuffed wheels, tears in seats, etc. and it works awesome. ECP/Auto Armor has been around since the 60's, but it just became ceramic this year. It is usually just available at dealerships.
The following users liked this post:
ILM-NC G37S (10-22-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 02:48 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Have anyone that does boat building or repairs locally? Ultralight or kit planes? They could mold your stock hood and add reinforcing under that is spaced to allow vents. You'd need to use hood pins. If you buy the material could even have them made out of carbon or kevlar (which is heavy).
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 10:24 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Thanks for all of the ideas on hoods guys. I think at this point I am leaning strongly in favor of retiring the car from track duty and just keeping it as a fun daily driver that I will take on back roads regularly. I think in the spring I am going to try a set of Yokohama's new Advan Apex V601 on the front to hopefully, not give up too much grip, but gain a little more quiet and ride comfort. I am curious to see how it handles with my stickier Bridgestone RE-71R's in the back until those wear out.

In a related story DO NOT ORDER FROM AUTOKITS X in Florida!!!Initially, they had a lot of delays in production. Because they had not even started making the hood by the date that I was supposed to have it, they offered a refund. I was not getting a great feeling from this company so I took the refund. Then I was getting excuses as to when they would actually refund the money. Finally, they just stopped responding completely. Now my parts department is filing a claim with the credit card company.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:35 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Seems like the right decision. You've pushed that platform as far as you reasonably can for the track, while still using it as a daily driver. Seems to me you're at the point where it should be one or the other, but can't really be both anymore.

However, be forewarned that without the "track day" rationale, the appeal for your modified G will be more difficult to hang on to. The only reason I can (usually) do it is because the car is driven so little. If I had to drive it every single day with normal miles like you do, I think frustrations with the setup would overtake the appeal. There are times when the car can be emotionally exhausting, when all I want to do is drop the kid off at field hockey practice.

I'm just saying this because I think it's worth considering. We're clearly two different people with different priorities... but, well, you probably understand.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:54 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Seems like the right decision. You've pushed that platform as far as you reasonably can for the track, while still using it as a daily driver. Seems to me you're at the point where it should be one or the other, but can't really be both anymore.

However, be forewarned that without the "track day" rationale, the appeal for your modified G will be more difficult to hang on to. The only reason I can (usually) do it is because the car is driven so little. If I had to drive it every single day with normal miles like you do, I think frustrations with the setup would overtake the appeal. There are times when the car can be emotionally exhausting, when all I want to do is drop the kid off at field hockey practice.

I'm just saying this because I think it's worth considering. We're clearly two different people with different priorities... but, well, you probably understand.
You are totally right. My car is fine for driving around town and my daughter who just turned 1 seems to like it. However, it is not our first choice for long trips. Fortunately, my wife just got a new SUV with AWD so we are set for any trips and the winter. If we get a crazy snow storm she can work from home and I can take the Rogue into work. (I doubt I will ever have to do that, but it is an option)

Not to worry, I will still never drive a boring car. In fact, I am still planning on getting an even higher performance car once I finally replace this one. I really like the G37 the way I have it set up now and I am starting to realize that I am to the point of diminishing returns for upgrades at this point. There are probably a few other little things I can do to it, but nothing it really needs. Kind of a sad realization for the guy who loves to work on and tune cars.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:09 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I feel both of your points here... a street rod that does occasional track duty is nice. But the better you get at <track> driving the more specialized equipment you will need/want. And dedicated track cars are loud, rattly beasts that don't like imperfect road surfaces, cold, or passengers. Older ones don't idle worth crap and get `7mpg if that and eat $1k worth of tires each season. They do NOT like to go run and get milk or pick up the kiddo from daycare (and the daycare people will give you really judgy looks when your car snort/rumbles into the parking lot).

It is *hard* to get that balance just right.

I personally feel that more than about 400hp is too much for a street-driven car, especially a daily. Even with all the electronic nannies its just too easy to slip and lose traction into something expensive or alive. I make exception for cars with a bazillion HP that are only driven on nice weekends to car shows and the like - who doesn't want a garage queen to show off? - but otherwise its just a waste of potential. Suspension is hard to set up to do both conditions well - either you get compliance or not, and either one hurts your situational performance when not in the right conditions.

Having said that, I did specifically search out an older car so I could have a manual transmission, and did specifically look for a sport sedan with 300+ HP, and waited close to a year to find the one I wanted, and do specifically have a loud exhaust waiting for time and opportunity. So the TL;DR: is car guys are all nuts?
Old 10-25-2019, 05:54 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
I feel both of your points here... a street rod that does occasional track duty is nice. But the better you get at <track> driving the more specialized equipment you will need/want. And dedicated track cars are loud, rattly beasts that don't like imperfect road surfaces, cold, or passengers. Older ones don't idle worth crap and get `7mpg if that and eat $1k worth of tires each season. They do NOT like to go run and get milk or pick up the kiddo from daycare (and the daycare people will give you really judgy looks when your car snort/rumbles into the parking lot).

It is *hard* to get that balance just right.

I personally feel that more than about 400hp is too much for a street-driven car, especially a daily. Even with all the electronic nannies its just too easy to slip and lose traction into something expensive or alive. I make exception for cars with a bazillion HP that are only driven on nice weekends to car shows and the like - who doesn't want a garage queen to show off? - but otherwise its just a waste of potential. Suspension is hard to set up to do both conditions well - either you get compliance or not, and either one hurts your situational performance when not in the right conditions.

Having said that, I did specifically search out an older car so I could have a manual transmission, and did specifically look for a sport sedan with 300+ HP, and waited close to a year to find the one I wanted, and do specifically have a loud exhaust waiting for time and opportunity. So the TL;DR: is car guys are all nuts?
I agree that when you get/make a truly dedicated track/race car there is a definite line you cross where it is not really streetable anymore. Thanks to technology we no longer have to make that compromise. The cars just keep getting faster and better all around making my quest for a good track/street car still feasible. I can pick up a used 2015+ M3 or ATS-V sedan right now for about $40k and do a simple tune and be at 540 hp or 600 hp respectively with a simple tune (If I could ever find one with the right equipment). The funny thing is that both of these cars are better all around cars than my heavily modified G, will probably blow its doors off while they are still stock, and cost less than what I have invested in my car.

On the one hand I really like my car the way it is now and the fact that it is very unique. On the other hand, I could always wait a few more years to pick up cheaper used versions of the next M3, M2 CS, C8, RS3, CT4 blackwing, STI, Golf R, Nissan Z etc, etc. that will probably all be better than the current M3 and ATS-V. I think the next couple of years will be great years to see some really cool enthusiast cars come to market. What a great time to be a car nut!
Old 10-28-2019, 01:35 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

...but not a great time to work in the public sector, if you are a car nut. We'll be figuring out how to turbocharge our Kia Rios to get to 100HP soon enough...
Old 10-31-2019, 09:17 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Looks like it is time to get some new front tires in the Spring.

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan