Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 12:50 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
re seat air bags... why not this:https://www.nengun.com/bride/side-air-bag-canceller

I know it's still basically a resistor, but in theory Bride tested it to work.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 03:35 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
The G2 stuff is supposed to be self-leveling so

You could always get a cheap HVLP gun or spray container: https://www.harborfreight.com/painti...gun-62300.html or https://www.homedepot.com/p/Preval-S...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
G2 mentions that you can use a spray gun to apply the paint, but it is extremely thick so you have to make sure to have the right nozzle. I may try that if the brush method fails. Thanks for the idea.

Originally Posted by rotarymike
re seat air bags... why not this:https://www.nengun.com/bride/side-air-bag-canceller

I know it's still basically a resistor, but in theory Bride tested it to work.
Thanks for finding these! I just e-mailed them to get some more info. or at least check the wattage.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:13 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I finally got the Sparco seat for the passenger side and installed it. It was not nearly as difficult this time since I knew what to expect, but it still took a few hours to do properly. I shaved about 20 lbs. off of the car, the seats match, and now I have a backup seat that I can swap over to the driver's side if I ever wear mine out. Here is a link to the install if anyone plans on replacing the seats so you know what to expect. It will take longer than you think (post 376): https://www.myg37.com/forums/body-in...-sedan-26.html

Last edited by 4DRZ; 08-07-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Luci (08-31-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 01:18 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The other day I added this sticker to my passenger mirror. I still laugh every time I see it. It also cracks me up because 400 hp is just not a lot anymore so I don't know that I will see too many cars in my mirror.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:53 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I ordered my Auto Kits X carbon fiber vented hood. It will probably take about a month to get. I am really hoping it helps with temps at the track. It has vents inside the U-shaped section right behind the radiator that are open all the time to reduce lift and increase the effectiveness of the radiator. The larger vents on the sides of the hood have rain covers that I can open up for track days that will hopefully pull out a lot of the heat generated by the headers. This was the best looking functional hood I could find that also did not have a huge gap at the front.

I think I will install it unpainted at first and consider wrapping the roof in carbon fiber, but I fear that will be way too much carbon. Another option is painting the entire hood white, but I think that makes it look generic. I think I will end up painting the hood except for the U-shape in the center. I think this will look the best and should match up nicely with the shape and color of the sunroof to give the car an even more aggressive look.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:51 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I wish they made one with the side vents like above but no center vent. The ridge, although probably very functional, ruins the lines for me. I also don't care for the other vented hoods that have huge vents on either side that don't match any of the body lines... Sigh.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:39 PM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Received 281 Likes on 231 Posts
Carbon Signal's hood for the sedan i think is the best looking hood. It has the center vent without the bulge.

I know the picture is of a coupe but you get the design idea

Old 08-15-2019, 10:47 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Their website seems defunct. How does one contact carbon signal?

// also, I imagine shipping from the UAE is more than the cost of the hood.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:38 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I know what you mean about all of these hoods with vents that are at a totally different angle or in a different style from the rest of the car. The carbon signal hood does not look bad from that angle, but all of the vents and lines are straight while our hoods are very curvy. I be it would look strange head on. Carbon signal is also ridiculously expensive before the even more outrageous shipping. I think their ground effects kit was somewhere in the $3,000-$4,000 range. I appreciate the suggestion, but I already ordered the Auto Kits X hood.

The Autokits hood is the only one I found with styling and angles that matched our cars. Now I am just trying to figure out how to paint it to make it look right. Can anyone edit the pic so that the side vents are the same carbon color as the center? Thanks!

Old 08-19-2019, 07:46 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

My Akebono brake caliper stickers arrived. It might be a bit before I get time to install them, but they should make a nice upgrade once I paint my calipers. I was thinking blue for the calipers to brighten things up a bit, but now I am leaning toward black so that they tie in with the black Sparco seats with white lettering.

jpowersjr2 (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 07:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,707 Likes on 3,515 Posts
Did you automatically want to go with "akebono" instead of "INFINITI", or was that something you went back and forth on?
Old 08-19-2019, 07:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
You might not think this, but I actually like that on the Coupe there. Although maybe without the grate vents on the sides. But that two-tone is appealing, the overall design is appealing, and it just kind of fits nice in that space. I like it. IDK about the same on the Sedan, but that Coupe looks good.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:12 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Did you automatically want to go with "akebono" instead of "INFINITI", or was that something you went back and forth on?
I always planned on Akebono. I have slowly been eliminating Infiniti logos from the car (wheels, seats, and soon brake calipers) in favor of more performance oriented brands. I think the other reason is that I keep trying to make sense of adding Skyline badges to the car. I definitely plan on getting Skyline kick plates, but I struggle with putting the Skyline badge on the back and a Nissan badge on the front because I like the Infiniti emblem better. I also struggle with that badge on the trunk because people see Skyline and immediately assume it has to be a GT-R. I prefer my cars to be more of a sleeper and then surprise people with the performance vs. the other way around. How is that for a long winded answer?

Originally Posted by Rochester
You might not think this, but I actually like that on the Coupe there. Although maybe without the grate vents on the sides. But that two-tone is appealing, the overall design is appealing, and it just kind of fits nice in that space. I like it. IDK about the same on the Sedan, but that Coupe looks good.
I am definitely surprised that you like the hood. I thought you would be the first to call me out for the panda/oreo look. I was really limited on options for the sedan, but this is the one that I think would work the best for heat and looks the best. It will be a few weeks before I see it, but I am still trying to figure out how to paint it. I am torn between leaving the center unpainted or also leaving the side vents unpainted. I am not sure it would look any different on the sedan since the cars look pretty similar from the front, but it should definitely make my car look more aggressive.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I think the other reason is that I keep trying to make sense of adding Skyline badges to the car. I definitely plan on getting Skyline kick plates, but I struggle with putting the Skyline badge on the back and a Nissan badge on the front because I like the Infiniti emblem better. I also struggle with that badge on the trunk because people see Skyline and immediately assume it has to be a GT-R. I prefer my cars to be more of a sleeper and then surprise people with the performance vs. the other way around. How is that for a long winded answer?
INFINITI SKYLINE. Problem solved.

And 4DRZ, it's for you, not for people. The non-car people don't even notice. And the non-car people who notice "skyline", they have a vague sense that means something. The rest are split in half, one half likes it and the other half actually gets angry and mocks you. When you break it down like that, these aren't really people you should care about their opinion. OMG, my english not so good.

I am definitely surprised that you like the hood. I thought you would be the first to call me out for the panda/oreo look. I was really limited on options for the sedan, but this is the one that I think would work the best for heat and looks the best. It will be a few weeks before I see it, but I am still trying to figure out how to paint it. I am torn between leaving the center unpainted or also leaving the side vents unpainted. I am not sure it would look any different on the sedan since the cars look pretty similar from the front, but it should definitely make my car look more aggressive.
I would go just like this pic. In the center... flat, gloss, CF... it's all good.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:49 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The "Infiniti Skyline" makes my brain hurt because I am a car guy. I get that in select markets (England) they actually sell an Infiniti Skyline, but Nissan has always been synonymous with the Skyline. I think I would just do the Skyline and 370GT badges on the trunk so it is accurate, but I don't know what to add to the front grille. Do they make a GT badge for the front grille for non-GT-R Skylines? Then it will just come down to the floormats and I can have those custom made once mine start wearing out (it's going to be a while). Or maybe my grill is aggressive enough with the intakes showing through that I could skip an emblem. I still think it looks better with the Infiniti logo.

Maybe this R34 fender GT emblem would work on my grill. Nah.

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan