Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 10:00 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I just ordered the RJM clutch pedal system. (Thanks for the advice Rochester)

I feel like I can drive the car very smoothly 98% of the time w/ the Jsolo spring, but there are always those awkward 1st gear starts when you don't get the timing exactly perfect and you look like it is your 1st time driving stick shift. I figured getting rid of this along with saving a bit of wear on the throw out bearing and the fact I will have the driver's seat out soon made enough sense to get the part. Looks like it ships out at the end of the week and should be here probably next week.

I have not read through them entirely yet, but the installation instructions look pretty lengthy for what looks to be a relatively simple part.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:07 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I just ordered the RJM clutch pedal system. (Thanks for the advice Rochester)

I feel like I can drive the car very smoothly 98% of the time w/ the Jsolo spring, but there are always those awkward 1st gear starts when you don't get the timing exactly perfect and you look like it is your 1st time driving stick shift.
No problem, buddy.

Before getting the RJM, I used to mock the rationale as akin to performing major surgery (RJM) when all you needed was a $20 Band-aid (jsolo's spring). However, I was completely, arrogantly wrong. FWIW
Old 10-03-2017, 10:56 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts
I installed the RJM pedal on Sunday. Instructions are lengthy, but detailed.

It's actually pretty simple. Remove pedal assembly. Swap parts over. Reinstall.

The blue plastic stopper was tough to get out, and getting the upper firewall bolt in was also a pain. Note the plugs (cruise and depress to start) will interchangeably plug into the different switches.

It's much smoother, but takes getting use to--almost like a new car!
Old 10-04-2017, 05:00 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Looking forward to it and finally having a car that is easy to shift again. (Fingers crossed)

How much time did you guys spend adjusting it and roughly what setting did you leave it on?
Old 10-04-2017, 05:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Looking forward to it and finally having a car that is easy to shift again. (Fingers crossed)

How much time did you guys spend adjusting it and roughly what setting did you leave it on?
I don't have numbers on mine. So, IDK. Here's the review I did on this after the install:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ml#post3933567

Can't believe it's been two years already. Damn.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:44 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I don't have numbers on mine. So, IDK. Here's the review I did on this after the install:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ml#post3933567

Can't believe it's been two years already. Damn.
Well, it must be worth it if you have kept the part on your car for 2 years.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:47 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I splurged on the car today and picked up a 10 pack of crush washers for my oil drain plug after changing the oil yesterday. This will last me 5 years. As my father would say, "Another $1.58 shot to hell!"

I also switched from regular Mobil 1 to Mobil 1 Extended Performance because it claims to be slightly better with heat. This could be good for me on track days, but the G in general since the engine seems to run hot. I guess they have some guarantee for 15,000 miles on this oil from Mobil, but that would be almost 3 years for me- way too long.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 10-06-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:50 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

I'm on the initial setting 5 days later. I'm probably going to adjust it a little this weekend. Engagement seems a little too high. Aside from that, it's a lot smoother. A little weird getting acclimated to it because it's definitely different feeling.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Well, it must be worth it if you have kept the part on your car for 2 years.
It will happily become the new normal pretty quick, 4DRZ. A couple of weeks from now you'll probably wonder what all the fuss was about.

Most things are like that. Even the 4.083 gears, believe it or not. That particular mod took well over a month before everything felt normal again. Still, there are moments when my eyes go wide. Usually its when I haven't driven the car in a number of days.

Unlike the STS, which is something you feel and appreciate every single time you touch the shifter.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:25 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I'm on the initial setting 5 days later. I'm probably going to adjust it a little this weekend. Engagement seems a little too high. Aside from that, it's a lot smoother. A little weird getting acclimated to it because it's definitely different feeling.
Glad to hear it is a lot smoother. So I would imagine it is a lot easier to start out in 1st gear without the car being jerky? That is the only real issue I have with the car every once in a while even with the Jsolo spring. How else does it feel different?

It will happily become the new normal pretty quick, 4DRZ. A couple of weeks from now you'll probably wonder what all the fuss was about.

Most things are like that. Even the 4.083 gears, believe it or not. That particular mod took well over a month before everything felt normal again. Still, there are moments when my eyes go wide. Usually its when I haven't driven the car in a number of days.

Unlike the STS, which is something you feel and appreciate every single time you touch the shifter.
Whenever my car starts to feel "normal," I just try to drive something else for a day or two or maybe not drive at all for a couple of days if I don't have to work. Then when I get back in my car it is amazing how much faster, sharper, etc. it feels.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:04 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I have been having some pretty serious issues with my Z1 tune for their 400hp kit. The car easily goes into limp mode above 5K rpm or bogging the engine below 2K rpm. The second time it happens a CE light goes on and a code for a MAF sensor comes on.

The other issue is Jon at Z1 as it is almost impossible to get through to him, you get put on hold for extended periods, he never calls you back and he never sends the cable he says he will to diagnose the problem. Last week he was finally honest about the fact he did not have any cables so I bought one that he said I could return. It finally arrived. Hopefully, we can get to the bottom of this quickly so I can drive my car normally again.

Old 10-17-2017, 02:15 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Does he know that you're writing about this experience online? I bet he doesn't.

Good luck, 4DRZ. Is the next worse case scenario an in-person dyno-tune? Or would the next thing be eating this as a loss and starting over with EcuTek?
Old 10-17-2017, 05:20 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Does he know that you're writing about this experience online? I bet he doesn't.

Good luck, 4DRZ. Is the next worse case scenario an in-person dyno-tune? Or would the next thing be eating this as a loss and starting over with EcuTek?
Jon at Z1 is clearly too busy to care about things like this, but I want to warn people because their service straight up sucks when you have an issue. Want to order a part? No problem, they will help right away. Have an issue? **** off! We will put you on hold multiple times, not return calls, hang up, make up every excuse possible etc. Very frustrating, especially when I have spent thousands of dollars buying almost every part they make for our cars.

I have a tuner not too far away who does Uprev tunes. That would be the next step. EcuTek is at least a 5 hour drive for me and probably not really worth it unless the Uprev tuner in Wisconsin is no good- unlikely as they seemed pretty sharp when I talked to them.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:06 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Z1 is a sponsor over on the370.com. Might want to join and post a review. Squeaky wheel and all that

I went through similar tuning issues on my Legacy GT, and I grew so frustrated I traded it in on the G.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:04 PM
Mattlorentzoe
Premier Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
changed up

Last edited by Mattlorentzoe; 08-08-2018 at 11:27 PM.

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan