Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 11:16 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
That trim looks pretty cool, especially if it were a copper colored car. Maybe better silver on our cars. It is a Honda? I would much rather pay someone to do the labor than screw around with it, especially since it is a friend of mine that I don't mind helping out.

Anyone else work with Carbon Fiber Element?

It was an Acura, yea.

Overall the quality was pretty good but there were some flaws. The only reason the guy traded with me was because he wanted my OEM trims so he could send them out to be re-layed with carbon because he wasn't happy with the flaws.

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
I was also reading and some people said that the plastic hub rings get worn quickly from torquing the wheels down over time. What size hub rings do you use? I just found some sites that can make custom sizes with aluminum.
I've been running the same plastic hub rings since like 2009 on the same wheels (my TSWs) and it's been fine. Torquing the wheels does nothing to the hub rings, all they do is center the wheel..

Last edited by iCrap; 04-09-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:32 PM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 242 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
Would you happen to have the size?
The G has a 66.1mm hub, the wheels I use have a 73.1mm hub.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:30 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
It was an Acura, yea.
I thought I recognized those heated seat buttons. Damn my car game is strong.

Anyone else have experience with Carbon Fiber Element or have an opinion about also carbon wrapping the plastic trim on the steering wheel and shifter trim?

The following users liked this post:
iCrap (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 01:28 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

I think it looks strange and over the top if EVERYTHING is CF.

My opinion is keep it consistent with the original trims.

So, like all the aluminum trims should be changed but not like the radio screen bezel or steering wheel trims, vents & seat heater button trims. It just looks odd
Old 04-11-2017, 06:27 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

You are probably right. I can always add more carbon parts later. I was looking at Daddy Fat Sacs carbon layout and saw he even had the pieces behind the door handles in carbon trim. That got me thinking about the surrounds for the door locks/windows and then I thought, "that is just too much carbon fiber for me."
Old 04-13-2017, 12:00 AM
Outdoor_funguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The vinyl wrap is easy enough that you can do it yourself in a few hours, no need to have a shop do it.

Carbon Fiber Element seems a bit sketch but its fine. They do business like pretty much only through Instagram and Facebook. I don't even think they publicly list a phone number.

A few years back I got some CFE trims for my past car in a trade, ended up not keeping it. Here is some pics of those parts....

There were a few flaws but overall not bad. I got them free via trade but the guy told me he paid over $1000 for it. Pretty crazy. I hated the copper / cf hybrid weave so I didn't keep it.

"yup, a vinyl wrap is much more practical and cheaper. My vinyl wrap project was installed by Gatorwraps and I am very satisfied"
Old 04-14-2017, 03:48 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

That black and orange carbon looks great for a wrap.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:52 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So my car went back into limp mode yesterday. Today as well and threw the CE light now. I will try the MAF sensor cleaner again, but I have my doubts about how long it will last. Either the MAF sensor is just on it's way out, the new Z1 filters are gunking up the sensor, or there is something up with the tune.

Either way I have had enough of limp mode and no power. Hoping to find a fix soon.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:13 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

You guys keep mixing up vinyl wrap and real carbon fiber lay lol. The pics i posted were real carbon fiber and real copper weave / epoxy resin / satin finish done by CFE. Which then outdoor_funguy quoted and called a wrap lol.

Anyways, do you use that oil stuff in your filters? i've heard of that causing massive problems with the MAFs. Also, whatever you do don't try to clean your throttle bodies. I won't make that mistake again.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (04-14-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 12:42 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

You guys keep mixing up vinyl wrap and real carbon fiber lay lol. The pics i posted were real carbon fiber and real copper weave / epoxy resin / satin finish done by CFE. Which then outdoor_funguy quoted and called a wrap lol.

Anyways, do you use that oil stuff in your filters? i've heard of that causing massive problems with the MAFs. Also, whatever you do don't try to clean your throttle bodies. I won't make that mistake again.
Oh, in your original post you were talking about wraps and then you called them trims. I did not think it was actual carbon fiber because you never said it was until now. That explains why it looks just like carbon fiber- because it is. Haha!

No, Z1 uses dry filters. I know what you mean about the oil issue though. I think my 2nd Subaru had an oiled K&N filter and after about 2 years the MAF sensor was all full of gunk and it finally set the CE light. Either Infiniti MAF sensors are the most sensitive in the world because mine looked spotless and the filters were only on the car a few weeks, or there is something else causing my problem.

I talked to Spencer at Z1 this morning about it and he suggested swapping the MAF sensors to see if the code follows the sensor or not. He thought maybe the angle of the sensor mount might be to blame as well. I thought I might have put them in the wrong direction, but I think the holes are drilled so that you can only mount them one way. If the angle of the mount can set off the CE light and put you into limp mode, then the MAF sensors are super sensitive. The sensor in my Subaru was so covered in gunk you could not even tell what it was. It still did not put the car into limp mode.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:13 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
You guys keep mixing up vinyl wrap and real carbon fiber lay lol. The pics i posted were real carbon fiber and real copper weave / epoxy resin / satin finish done by CFE.
Wouldn't want it, but it's still fascinating. I think it might look better is a less close-up perspective, but the close-up really makes the CF weave and the copper pop.

It clashes with perforated leather, IMO.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:26 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Yeah, about that... well, that might change before the silver trim.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Yeah, about that... well, that might change before the silver trim.
Somewhere here that I can't find, there's a pictures of a black leather G-interior, where the wrap-around aluminum trim is wrapped with a brushed-aluminum vinyl with an amber tinge to it. I can't find it, but I remember the pic, and I remember commenting that I liked the look. White car, black leather, and this slash-cut of aluminum/amber across the doors into the dash.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:23 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Not sure if I would like the amber look, but post the pic if you find it. Always up for suggestions.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:23 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Oh, in your original post you were talking about wraps and then you called them trims. I did not think it was actual carbon fiber because you never said it was until now. That explains why it looks just like carbon fiber- because it is. Haha!

No, Z1 uses dry filters. I know what you mean about the oil issue though. I think my 2nd Subaru had an oiled K&N filter and after about 2 years the MAF sensor was all full of gunk and it finally set the CE light. Either Infiniti MAF sensors are the most sensitive in the world because mine looked spotless and the filters were only on the car a few weeks, or there is something else causing my problem.

I talked to Spencer at Z1 this morning about it and he suggested swapping the MAF sensors to see if the code follows the sensor or not. He thought maybe the angle of the sensor mount might be to blame as well. I thought I might have put them in the wrong direction, but I think the holes are drilled so that you can only mount them one way. If the angle of the mount can set off the CE light and put you into limp mode, then the MAF sensors are super sensitive. The sensor in my Subaru was so covered in gunk you could not even tell what it was. It still did not put the car into limp mode.

Oh yeah, by trims i just meant trim peices.

And yea the MAFs are keyed so there is no way to install it backwards. They might even be keyed per side, not sure.

Wouldn't want it, but it's still fascinating. I think it might look better is a less close-up perspective, but the close-up really makes the CF weave and the copper pop.

Yeah, it was an interesting look. It made the interior look too busy though.

Like i said i got them for free from a trade, If i had ordered it myself it'd just be regular carbon with a matte or semigloss finish.

Somewhere here that I can't find, there's a pictures of a black leather G-interior, where the wrap-around aluminum trim is wrapped with a brushed-aluminum vinyl with an amber tinge to it. I can't find it, but I remember the pic, and I remember commenting that I liked the look. White car, black leather, and this slash-cut of aluminum/amber across the doors into the dash.
I remember that one.. it did look pretty nice. I think he called it burnt copper vinyl or something.

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan