Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 06:02 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Fast Intentions also offer's a nice 2.5" option...
Old 06-17-2016, 06:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,727 Likes on 3,532 Posts
Originally Posted by Nico-derm
Fast Intentions also offer's a nice 2.5" option...
For an extra $100.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:26 PM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
For an extra $100.
Just checked FI's website, it's $75 extra. The setup I would consider from Fast Intentions would be the 2.5in diameter piping, and 18in resonators. Comes out to be around $1500, not sure about the shipping. They offer a 5% military discount as well, so ~$1425 for the exhaust alone, which honestly doesn't seem so bad.

OP, sorry for hijacking your thread.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ZahyMatar
Just checked FI's website, it's $75 extra. The setup I would consider from Fast Intentions would be the 2.5in diameter piping, and 18in resonators. Comes out to be around $1500, not sure about the shipping. They offer a 5% military discount as well, so ~$1425 for the exhaust alone, which honestly doesn't seem so bad.
That's my catback... 2.5" FI w/18" resonators. If you can get it for $1425, then yes, that's a very good deal.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:31 AM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
I have the Berks HFC and they're 2.5in. I don't want it going from 2.5in to 2.25in as that usually introduces some rasp, unless it's tapered down.

Are the Z1 HFC 2.5in? Would love to hear am exhaust clip.

Debating whether I want to upgrade to the Stillen CBE or Ark exhaust next year.
Berk is 60mm, which is 2.35in. Invidia is the only catback that is 2.35 from the cats.

I have fast intentions resonated test pipes mated to my stillen. No sound clips though.

Hearing a fast intentions 12 inch and 18 inch, one with oem cats, and one with resonated cats, was too tame for me. If you want volume, look at the ARK or stillen.

4DRZ, sorry for cluttering up your thread.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:32 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by MaQG37
Berk is 60mm, which is 2.35in. Invidia is the only catback that is 2.35 from the cats.

I have fast intentions resonated test pipes mated to my stillen. No sound clips though.
I wasn't aware, thank you for that!
Old 06-18-2016, 11:49 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
OP, sorry for hijacking your thread.
Originally Posted by MaQG37

4DRZ, sorry for cluttering up your thread.
*disclaimer- discussions of parts not installed on the 4 door Z are strictly prohibited and will result in a slow and painful death by being run over repeatedly by a little old lady on a motorized cart.
The following users liked this post:
Lego_Maniac (06-18-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 02:02 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So I am starting to think about a different shift ****. I really like the size & feel of the one I have now, especially the fact it does not get hot or cold easily like a metal shift ****. It is great for fast shifting at track days, but just looks a bit plain. Take a look and tell me if I am just being too picky.

If I did a different shift **** I would like something that looks a little nicer, but does not have too much metal on it due to the extreme heat and cold we get here in WI. Maybe something like the Momo Sphere or Sparco Globe. Does anyone know if the silver trim pieces on top are metal? I had the Momo Sphere a long time ago and liked it, but cannot remember if it was metal on top. Any other suggestions or should I just keep what I have since it works perfect aside from style points?

Old 07-12-2016, 02:15 PM
Rochester
Administrator

You're not wrong, it's boring. The finish is appealing, and the shape is right (although way too squat, IMO), but overall there's something meh about it.

Coincidentally, there's a similar convo happening in the what-did-you-do thread. I recommended this little guy:

Raceseng Sphereology - Shift **** - Delrin - Build Your Own

Anyway, if you haven't looked at Raceseng yet, there it is.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:35 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

You're not wrong, it's boring. The finish is appealing, and the shape is right (although way too squat, IMO), but overall there's something meh about it.

Coincidentally, there's a similar convo happening in the what-did-you-do thread. I recommended this little guy:

Hmmm... that's not a bad shift ****. Kind of a nice middle ground between Delrin and something fancier. But I think it would look weird with the shift pattern on the shift **** and the trim around it and it looks rather plain on top without it.

For the money I would like to go the "full fancy" route with leather. Or just keep what I have as it functions perfectly, but does not look nearly as nice as the rest of the interior- especially now that I have the redline shift boot and armrest cover.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:10 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Rochester, I am still trying to talk myself into this shift ****. I think it looks better with the shift pattern engraved compared to plain. If I went that route, do you know if the factory shift pattern comes off the interior trim easily? I am not sure if it is just painted on or if it is etched into the trim.

The only thing I am concerned about is the metal top which I think might get blazing hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter. I see they make a shift **** cover, but that's a little much for me. However, they also make a Slammology Delrin cover I could get in case it gets too hot. But if heat on the top is really an issue with this shift ****, I think I would lean more toward the TWM Phantom Hybrid shift ****.

Anyone else have any of these shift ***** and want to chime in on what they think of them?

Raceseng Sphereology

TWM Phantom Hybrid

Last edited by 4DRZ; 08-27-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:25 AM
GNTLMN_Z
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm currently in the same predicament; I'm bored of my TWM Leopard shift **** but can't decide what new shift **** to purchase!!

That being said, I think you should stick with what you have. IMO, it looks better than the options you're looking at.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:39 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by GNTLMN_Z
I'm currently in the same predicament; I'm bored of my TWM Leopard shift **** but can't decide what new shift **** to purchase!!

That being said, I think you should stick with what you have. IMO, it looks better than the options you're looking at.
Really? Take another look. I just updated all the pictures.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:18 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Rochester, I am still trying to talk myself into this shift ****. I think it looks better with the shift pattern engraved compared to plain. If I went that route, do you know if the factory shift pattern comes off the interior trim easily? I am not sure if it is just painted on or if it is etched into the trim.
I agree, the shift pattern etching is more appealing than otherwise. Are you concerned about the ****-retentive requirement that it's always perfectly lined up? That would drive me nuts.

Pretty sure the pattern on the OEM trim is screen-printed underneath a clear coat. I think yeah, it can probably come off, but not all by itself. It's likely you'd have to have the trim repainted. And you know how flimsy, easily bent or damaged that thin piece of aluminum is, so good luck with that.

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
The only thing I am concerned about is the metal top which I think might get blazing hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter.
LOL. Man up, Nancy. It's just that coil-sized spot at the top, recessed even... you'll be fine.
Old 08-27-2016, 03:51 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I agree, the shift pattern etching is more appealing than otherwise. Are you concerned about the ****-retentive requirement that it's always perfectly lined up? That would drive me nuts.

Pretty sure the pattern on the OEM trim is screen-printed underneath a clear coat. I think yeah, it can probably come off, but not all by itself. It's likely you'd have to have the trim repainted. And you know how flimsy, easily bent or damaged that thin piece of aluminum is, so good luck with that.

LOL. Man up, Nancy. It's just that coil-sized spot at the top, recessed even... you'll be fine.
Oddly enough it looks fairly easy to line up the etching from the way it is designed. Yeah, you are right about the factory shift pattern though. That could be interesting to remove.

Man up? Says the guy who switches his entire shift ****. I had a Momo race air leather shift **** with a much smaller area of exposed aluminum. In the summer it would get so hot that I thought I was going to brand my hand like the guy in Indianna Jones or the robbers in Home Alone. YEOOUCH!

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan