Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 02:41 PM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
I'm looking forward to hearing your report about the cams. I went down that rabbit hole one night when I was looking at parts to pass the time but couldn't find a whole lot of info from anyone with them installed.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:39 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
If I remember right most rotary engines have a lot less NVH than our VQ which is a bit rough. I seem to remember people complaining about all of the additional NVH with a superlight flywheel in our cars. Maybe the rotary engines are not so bad with a really light flywheel?
So NVH is pretty subjective. An RX7, especially with an uncorked exhaust, was loud. LOUD. As in hear my friends downshifting off the interstate from 1/4 mile away. As in "get complaints from Harley riders" loud. So an extra rattle or chatter on one of those is much less likely to be noticed... Also, the RX7 (and RX8) ran a single mass flywheel with a sprung hub clutch disc - so they already had the 'noisier' version.

As I mentioned, the super-super lightweight FW made it hard for the RX7 to hold idle after decel - with no mass, the revs just dropped, and the old computers those things run couldn't adjust idle air fast enough to catch it. So, you had to pay extra attention when not driving assertively. I note that ACT, for example, only makes a street-lightweight version for the VQ motor - there must be a reason. All the 370 heavily modded guys would be running those or the little flywheels for the small racing clutch packs.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (10-26-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 09:04 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
I don't believe the new tune would change the redline of the engine, nor would I really want it to since all of the internal parts of the block stay the same.

I talked to Spencer yesterday and he said one thing to be careful of is that depending on the casting from Nissan of the head, there is a relatively good chance that the head will need to be milled/reshaped just to make the cams fit. This could be a much bigger project than I thought. Still waiting to hear back from my mechanic about this process to see just how involved this will be, especially if we need to do work on the heads as well- might be a cost/time tipping point for me.
It should be easy to find a vhr head. In the FB HR/VHR group there are a couple of folks who block swap their HRs.
Having plenty of Top Ends available. I would try finding a spare head to test these on prior to that.
I'm interested in what he meant about head castings being different.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:55 AM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
I don't believe the new tune would change the redline of the engine, nor would I really want it to since all of the internal parts of the block stay the same.

I talked to Spencer yesterday and he said one thing to be careful of is that depending on the casting from Nissan of the head, there is a relatively good chance that the head will need to be milled/reshaped just to make the cams fit. This could be a much bigger project than I thought. Still waiting to hear back from my mechanic about this process to see just how involved this will be, especially if we need to do work on the heads as well- might be a cost/time tipping point for me.
With your current tune your rev limit should be raised to about 7,800-7,900rpm if I am not mistaken. Anything more than that will require an upgraded oil pump.

Like I mentioned before, it may be a good time to do the gallery gasket. ~$60 of parts and another problem off your chest!

What do you mean on depending on the casting of the heads? What changed from MY to MY? In 2015 the exhaust manifolds changed, additional studs were added, and I think somewhere around that time the exhaust valves changed. However, other than the additional studs in the heads, I don't think the casting is any different.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:02 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Good points guys. Thanks for all of the advice. Spencer at Z1 was talking about the tight clearances in the heads that they install the C2 Jim Wolf cams into. He said about half of them need to be machined just a bit to have the right tolerances for the C2 cams. Looking at their site again it looks like that might just be for 2014+. I called Z1 to get some clarifications from Sam, but he did not have too many answers and recommended calling JWT. I called JWT and the techs are at lunch so I will try them later.

My technician at work was supposed to get back to me last week about these cams and what would be involved, but never did. I think he felt bad because he had all of the information for me rather quickly today. So it sounds like he cannot get the tool that we need so their plan would be to get the head off and send them out to a machine shop for 2 weeks to do the work. While it is here we would replace the head gaskets and take a look at the timing chain, guides, various other gaskets, etc. to see if anything else needs attention. I would also need to figure out a rental car for 2 weeks.

I am still a bit torn on this project because the labor alone costs at least twice as much as the parts and the parts are not cheap. Part of me thinks it would be a cool project and maybe it would get me to keep the car a bit longer. The other part of me thinks this is good money that I will never get back and would be better spent on the next car. Decisions, decisions....
Old 10-26-2020, 09:07 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Part of me thinks it would be a cool project and maybe it would get me to keep the car a bit longer. The other part of me thinks this is good money that I will never get back and would be better spent on the next car. Decisions, decisions....
Honestly, I'd listen to that second voice. If you've got a $4000 itch, put half the money into the Next Car fund, and use the other half to start a 529 for the little one.

Or drop it all on a set of forged, LW, 2-piece wheels.
4DRZ (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 09:57 AM
BULL
Moderador

Pass on the cams honestly. The amount of work you'll need to put in VS the end result wont be worth it.
Why? look at the amount of work you're already putting in the car. That same amount of work/money could go into better methods of obtaining power.
If $4k is the realistic budget, you need to ask yourself what will truly make you happy. Dont get me wrong you will get a benefit from these however it will be mainly mid-range due to better duration and bigger exhaust profiles. With VVEL the eccentric cam already provides enough lift on command however because the VHR doesnt have an independent exhaust variable phaser it ends up being the "bottle neck" to a certain extent. This is common in the HR groups who swap to VHR blocks, they end up with a Vq37 HR with the ability to control durations of both cams independently, they benefit from cams due to the added lift that the VHR system provides to the 37 from factory. All in all the numbers are not all that impressive if you compare to what VHRs are already making.

I have not looked at your parts list recently but at $4k you could keep saving and go forced induction, VHRs have proved to provide a reliable 500whp from off shelf kits. Dont fear nitrous either.
I feel like you you're already realizing the realistic expectation from the cams so unpopular opinion, going cammed will be like a set of intakes.
4DRZ (10-27-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 12:08 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Honestly, I'd listen to that second voice. If you've got a $4000 itch, put half the money into the Next Car fund, and use the other half to start a 529 for the little one.

Or drop it all on a set of forged, LW, 2-piece wheels.
Originally Posted by BULL
Pass on the cams honestly. The amount of work you'll need to put in VS the end result wont be worth it.
Why? look at the amount of work you're already putting in the car. That same amount of work/money could go into better methods of obtaining power.
If $4k is the realistic budget, you need to ask yourself what will truly make you happy. Dont get me wrong you will get a benefit from these however it will be mainly mid-range due to better duration and bigger exhaust profiles. With VVEL the eccentric cam already provides enough lift on command however because the VHR doesnt have an independent exhaust variable phaser it ends up being the "bottle neck" to a certain extent. This is common in the HR groups who swap to VHR blocks, they end up with a Vq37 HR with the ability to control durations of both cams independently, they benefit from cams due to the added lift that the VHR system provides to the 37 from factory. All in all the numbers are not all that impressive if you compare to what VHRs are already making.

I have not looked at your parts list recently but at $4k you could keep saving and go forced induction, VHRs have proved to provide a reliable 500whp from off shelf kits. Dont fear nitrous either.
I feel like you you're already realizing the realistic expectation from the cams so unpopular opinion, going cammed will be like a set of intakes.
You guys are 100% right. I talked to Ben at Jim Wolf Technology yesterday and he suggested reading through the entire post on the 370.com website about their cams. I was really trying to convince myself to get these cams until I came across the dyno results below from that thread (C1 cams on top and C2 cams at the bottom). The max power numbers look good on the C2 cams until you realize that the majority of that power comes at the extreme end of the rev range. The useable increase in power is actually about 1/2 as much as advertised. Fortunately, my labor costs are also about 1/2 as much, but it is still impossible for me to justify about $2,000 on what amounts to about 20 useable hp.

I also talked to Jon, the in-house tuner at Z1, this morning again about these cams. He was suggesting replacing the oil pump gears so that he could increase the redline to 8,400 rpm to see even better gains. He also mentioned having the heads ported, but said he had not seen many people do that. I talked to our machine shop and they said the gains of porting would be so minimal that they could not advise doing it. My other thought was that I do not feel comfortable raising the redline that high with stock internals, valves, etc.

So as a result, this thread will not be quite as interesting as I planned in the next few months, but I will see if there is anything interesting to report about the new valve cover gaskets and if we have any luck resurfacing my slotted front rotors or if I just need to get replacement rounds.

Old 10-27-2020, 01:54 PM
goldbug
Premier Member

Received 168 Likes on 110 Posts
Really great stuff reading through your thread, and extremely helpful. Compliments on the craftsmanship.

How has the Stillen brake duct kit been treating you? I'm considering installing some brake ducts also, so if you have any pointers or recommendations for the install I'm all ears. Also I noticed Z1 has the front kit listed with options for the Stillen or OEM fascia (for the 370z) - which one did you need to use for the G's fascia? I have a 13' coupe with the sport bumper but I'm guessing it's close enough to the G sedan's foglight location from looking at a few.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:35 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by goldbug
Really great stuff reading through your thread, and extremely helpful. Compliments on the craftsmanship.

How has the Stillen brake duct kit been treating you? I'm considering installing some brake ducts also, so if you have any pointers or recommendations for the install I'm all ears. Also I noticed Z1 has the front kit listed with options for the Stillen or OEM fascia (for the 370z) - which one did you need to use for the G's fascia? I have a 13' coupe with the sport bumper but I'm guessing it's close enough to the G sedan's foglight location from looking at a few.
Thanks! The Stillen kit has been solid. They used the most durable material for the tubing that I have seen yet (and I got creative with previous home-made kits on other cars). I finally got a tear in the tubing last year, but probably due to all the snow we get in the winter. It was easy to patch with duct tape. I forget the specific kit I got, but I did not need any attachments for the bumper.

I remember that whatever I had to break loose to attach the mounting brackets behind the brakes was a bit of a pain in my garage to do, but it broke loose easily in the shop with some air tools. Then it just boiled down to turning the wheels to full lock in both directions a few times to ensure proper clearance for the tubing before I secured it with zip ties. Make sure you leave the zip ties loose initially so you can make sure to give yourself enough slack for the wheels to turn.

It seemed like the brake ducts helped a bit on track, but I probably noticed more difference with different pad compounds and braking technique. Don't get me wrong, our cars can use all the help they can get on track to keep the brakes cool. The car is a bit heavy and the brakes are a touch small for regular track use, but they do work. If you have not already picked up some high temp brake fluid, track pads, and maybe some stainless brake lines, you probably should. Hope that helps.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,710 Likes on 3,518 Posts
Hey Goldbug, note that the OP's front discs purportedly have a better design for air cooling than the OEM rotors. Something that means nada on the street, but anyway... there it is.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:52 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Hey Goldbug, note that the OP's front discs purportedly have a better design for air cooling than the OEM rotors. Something that means nada on the street, but anyway... there it is.
That's a good point. The directional vanes and 2pc. design of my Z1 rotors probably help a lot with heat on the track as well.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:12 PM
goldbug
Premier Member

Received 168 Likes on 110 Posts
Thanks! The Stillen kit has been solid. They used the most durable material for the tubing that I have seen yet (and I got creative with previous home-made kits on other cars). I finally got a tear in the tubing last year, but probably due to all the snow we get in the winter. It was easy to patch with duct tape. I forget the specific kit I got, but I did not need any attachments for the bumper.

I remember that whatever I had to break loose to attach the mounting brackets behind the brakes was a bit of a pain in my garage to do, but it broke loose easily in the shop with some air tools. Then it just boiled down to turning the wheels to full lock in both directions a few times to ensure proper clearance for the tubing before I secured it with zip ties. Make sure you leave the zip ties loose initially so you can make sure to give yourself enough slack for the wheels to turn.

It seemed like the brake ducts helped a bit on track, but I probably noticed more difference with different pad compounds and braking technique. Don't get me wrong, our cars can use all the help they can get on track to keep the brakes cool. The car is a bit heavy and the brakes are a touch small for regular track use, but they do work. If you have not already picked up some high temp brake fluid, track pads, and maybe some stainless brake lines, you probably should. Hope that helps.
Exactly what I was needing to hear! Ty. I'm in the southeast and my car is garaged so hopefully won't have too many issues with the hoses cracking (and it's a weekend fun car now not my DD). Good to hear some trusty duct tape is all you needed to fix it and it's held up that well. I'm in the same boat of logic as you, and trying to get all the cooling I can before tracking my car the first time.

I'm already running Z1 1pc slotted rotors, Z1 stainless steel brake lines, Hawk performance ceramic pads (for the street) and Motul RBF600 fluid which has made an insane improvement, but not sure if it's enough prep for the track still. I was considering the Z1 brake mc brace but think I'll hold off on that indefinitely now, and am also planning on upgrading to the Z1 2 pc sprinkle-slotted rotors for all 4 corners eventually. Might stick to 1 pc slotted rotors for track events to save on costs but we will see- definitely getting a couple dedicated sets of track pads regardless, not running the Hawk performance ceramics on a track, lol.

I was also thinking about trying to route some air from the fog light ducts towards the radiator (eventually intercooler and oil cooler) but not sure if it would work/benefit more than the brake ducts instead. Cooling for the turbo I'm planning is another story though.

Are you referring to the drilled rotors or the directional internal cooling vanes the StopTech/Z1 2 pc rotors have? I've thought about that also...and my biggest complaint about the Z1 1pc rotors is that they have non-directional internal vanes. StopTech, DBA, Z1 (their 2 piece rotors), RacingBrake and most nicer rotors all have directional vanes, and it definitely helps and is one of the reasons I'll eventually upgrade them. At the time, I only went with the Z1 1 pc kit because I just needed a quick, cheap replacement since it was a surprise visit to the shop. 2 pc soon...
Old 10-27-2020, 04:13 PM
BULL
Moderador

https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-t...ml#post4284045

Enter the dark side. Bring some nitrous, I've been following Jdogs for a while along with some other successful nitrous owners in FB groups.
Anything from this point on forward will require extensive work that just doesn't deliver the time/money.
Even at a 50shot you'll find the love you were looking for.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:23 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by goldbug
I was considering the Z1 brake mc brace but think I'll hold off on that indefinitely now, and am also planning on upgrading to the Z1 2 pc sprinkle-slotted rotors for all 4 corners eventually. Might stick to 1 pc slotted rotors for track events to save on costs but we will see- definitely getting a couple dedicated sets of track pads regardless, not running the Hawk performance ceramics on a track, lol.

I was also thinking about trying to route some air from the fog light ducts towards the radiator (eventually intercooler and oil cooler) but not sure if it would work/benefit more than the brake ducts instead. Cooling for the turbo I'm planning is another story though.

Are you referring to the drilled rotors or the directional internal cooling vanes the StopTech/Z1 2 pc rotors have? I've thought about that also...and my biggest complaint about the Z1 1pc rotors is that they have non-directional internal vanes. StopTech, DBA, Z1 (their 2 piece rotors), RacingBrake and most nicer rotors all have directional vanes, and it definitely helps and is one of the reasons I'll eventually upgrade them. At the time, I only went with the Z1 1 pc kit because I just needed a quick, cheap replacement since it was a surprise visit to the shop. 2 pc soon...
You can skip the MC brace unless you are bored with how your fingers look with skin still attached. Seriously, that mod is only good for scraping up hands and causing you to swear a lot. Even blank rotors work fine for track days as they are a significant wear item. No doubt the Z1 2pc. rotors (what Rochester was referencing) are better designed for heat, especially with their shaped vanes. I've never seen the need for 2pc. rotors on the rear, but they sure do look pretty. I have tried many different track pads over the years, but had the best luck on my G37 with Carbotech XP12/10's for front/rear.

Don't worry about sending air to your radiator. It gets plenty of air. Direct that air to your brakes and get an oil cooler or you will overheat way too fast on track.

Originally Posted by BULL
https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-t...ml#post4284045

Enter the dark side. Bring some nitrous, I've been following Jdogs for a while along with some other successful nitrous owners in FB groups.
Anything from this point on forward will require extensive work that just doesn't deliver the time/money.
Even at a 50shot you'll find the love you were looking for.
I joined the dark side on my first build about 20 years ago by adding nitrous. But that was on a built motor and transmission. It was entertaining for short drag races, but I would probably empty a tank about half way through the first lap at Road America if I used it now.

I think I am good with where this car is at, especially since I am not tracking it anymore. The car is great and so satisfying to drive. It will definitely tide me over until I find a suitable replacement. Oddly enough, I am having a tough time finding a worthy replacement because the feedback, feel, steering, handling, sound, braking, performance, etc, etc of this car is so good where it is at right now. No complaints.
goldbug (10-29-2020)

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan