Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 02:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Have you tried using that drain valve yet? It seems like an interesting idea, but I do like having a magnet there to keep the oil just a touch cleaner and catch any metal contaminants. Over time it does seem to pick up very fine metal... dust? Not really shavings.
Nope. I only bought the one valve for the G, not the Subaru, and installed it last week when changing the oil and installing the new TBW undertray. Odds are it will be another year before I touch it.

It's ironic that just a few days later I actually could have benefitted from having a valve on the Subaru.

On the G, it replaces a drain plug I've been using for years that had a magnet. To be honest, the only thing I've ever seen on that magnet was a shallow smudge of goop at the very tip, if anything at all.
Old 10-02-2020, 02:47 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
To be honest, the only thing I've ever seen on that magnet was a shallow smudge of goop at the very tip, if anything at all.
Same. But I would rather have the goop on the magnet than swirling around the engine. Also good insurance in case some metal shavings or a piece of a piston ring starts floating around when the motor gets older.
Old 10-02-2020, 04:29 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
Same. But I would rather have the goop on the magnet than swirling around the engine. Also good insurance in case some metal shavings or a piece of a piston ring starts floating around when the motor gets older.
Tip: Go to the JY and pull the magnets off the trans. they stick to the bottom of the pan. I took the magnets off a starter and stuck them to the oilfilter. Call the car Magneto now. hahaha
Old 10-02-2020, 04:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

A few weeks ago, somewhere here on the forum, I saw reference to magnetic oil filter sleeves. My gut reaction was yet another car scam product. But I looked into it anyway, and now I don't know what to think.

Filtermag International ? My WordPress Blog
Old 10-02-2020, 05:16 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Haha that's awesome! I think I will just get a super magnet and still it to the oil pan and call it good.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:53 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

My car got featured by Z1 Motorsports!! If you cannot tell, I am super excited. I know this is probably not a big deal to most of you, but finally getting some recognition for 20+ years of tuning, turning wrenches, and racing is pretty cool to me. Well, this is about as famous as this car is going to get so I better sell it.

View this post on Instagram
The following 5 users liked this post by 4DRZ:
BULL (10-05-2020), Lego_Maniac (10-05-2020), ngolbuff (10-03-2020), projectpanda13 (10-04-2020), Rochester (10-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 06:59 PM
ngolbuff
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
My car got featured by Z1 Motorsports!! If you cannot tell, I am super excited. I know this is probably not a big deal to most of you, but finally getting some recognition for 20+ years of tuning, turning wrenches, and racing is pretty cool to me. Well, this is about as famous as this car is going to get so I better sell it.
Thats great! I have to say, you have done a great job on your car and it is very thoughtfully well done. I did enjoy riding in it (first time in a modded G) when I picked up those grey wheels from you.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (10-05-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 09:40 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Congrats!
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (10-05-2020)
Old 10-05-2020, 08:49 AM
BULL
Moderador

A few weeks ago, somewhere here on the forum, I saw reference to magnetic oil filter sleeves. My gut reaction was yet another car scam product. But I looked into it anyway, and now I don't know what to think.

This was my inspiration. I have been dealing with some weird metal issues. I've narrowed it down to oil weight. The car just doesnt like 5w-30. The difference in oil quality when running 10w-30 is insane. The filter appears to be doing it's job we will see what those magnets yield.

Haha that's awesome! I think I will just get a super magnet and still it to the oil pan and call it good.
Sooo I decided to glue some of these magnets to my homemade under-shield to stick to the pan. So it provides support to the shield and by sticking to the pan I hope it keeps some of the shavings in the pan. That's my theory.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:21 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
This was my inspiration. I have been dealing with some weird metal issues. I've narrowed it down to oil weight. The car just doesnt like 5w-30. The difference in oil quality when running 10w-30 is insane. The filter appears to be doing it's job we will see what those magnets yield.

Sooo I decided to glue some of these magnets to my homemade under-shield to stick to the pan. So it provides support to the shield and by sticking to the pan I hope it keeps some of the shavings in the pan. That's my theory.
You should just put a magnet on the drain plug so that you can remove any metal bits when you change your oil. With magnets on the oil pan you will have to remove the pan to get any shavings completely out of the oil.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:04 PM
BULL
Moderador

You should just put a magnet on the drain plug so that you can remove any metal bits when you change your oil. With magnets on the oil pan you will have to remove the pan to get any shavings completely out of the oil.
The plug will happen for sure.

On your end have you seen your plug collect anything at all?

Most of the metal I've seen has been mainly non ferrous - Aluminum which I suspect is from my cam ladders.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:05 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 479 Likes on 401 Posts

All you really need are some hard drive or speaker magnets, and put one on the side of the oil filter. Not the end, since that's where the bypass valve is and in some models of filter (M1 being one of them) the valve is metal. Duct tape to hold it on in case of severe bump, and move it to the new filter at oil change. IMHO, HDD or speaker or decently sized neodymium magnets have more flux than the 'purchased' version.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:02 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
The plug will happen for sure.

On your end have you seen your plug collect anything at all?

Most of the metal I've seen has been mainly non ferrous - Aluminum which I suspect is from my cam ladders.
Yes, I have seen it pick up very small particles. You bring up a good point about aluminum. So our engine block and heads are aluminum which would not get picked up by a magnet, but is anything else aluminum inside the engine? I would imagine that the crank and connecting rods are steel. What about the pistons and piston rings?
Old 10-06-2020, 10:11 AM
BULL
Moderador

Yes, I have seen it pick up very small particles. You bring up a good point about aluminum. So our engine block and heads are aluminum which would not get picked up by a magnet, but is anything else aluminum inside the engine? I would imagine that the crank and connecting rods are steel. What about the pistons and piston rings?
Ferrous:
Cams
Retainers
Buckets
Shims
Valves
Rings
Wrist pins
Rods
Crank
Chain
Gears

Non Ferrous:
Cam ladder
Heads
Block
Pistons
Bearings
Old 10-06-2020, 10:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Ferrous = contains iron

In case anyone else is wondering, LOL

Oh and hey, check this out. Hilarious bottle shaking skills:

Last edited by Rochester; 10-06-2020 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan