Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 08:25 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
The big five-oh, LOL. At least it's the miles on your car and not you. Not yet, at least.

The only way I'll ever catch up to you is if you stop driving it. I'm just a few miles under 46K.
Yes, fortunately I have a while to go before I hit the big 5-0 myself. For a daily driven G this has to be one of the lowest mileage ones left- thanks to my 6 miles to work. Then again, I will keep gaping you more and more since you work at home.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:10 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I probably devalued my car by at least a few hundred thousand dollars.

That sucks about your slave cylinder so close to 50k. Those must be common. My Infiniti shop replaced mine as a precaution under warranty when it turned out I needed a new starter. I was on the fence about adding a lightened flywheel at the same time since they had the transmission out, but my only options at the time were extremely light race flywheels that I was told were garbage on the street. Now Z1 has one more for street use that I probably would have gotten. Oh well.
I didn't end up ordering a clutch kit, I think I'll roll the dice and hope this one lasts a long time. If I did order one, I would get the update 2017+ 370z clutch kit. I had a lightweight flywheel on my GTO and I didn't mind it at all but I don't think it 'fits' this type of car.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:19 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I finally got my new plates so now people will no longer think that I am trying to "Save the Millenials." I don't know why they took almost 3 months this time. The "Save the Manuals" plates took less than a month. Either way, I am happy for the improvement.

Before:

New plate:

The following users liked this post:
TheDevilsG (09-13-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 09:38 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
That's definitely better. Less confusing.

Wait, did the irony of "America's Dairyland" ever come up? It just hit me over the head, and now I love your new tag.
4DRZ (09-14-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 03:12 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I finally got my new plates so now people will no longer think that I am trying to "Save the Millenials." I don't know why they took almost 3 months this time. The "Save the Manuals" plates took less than a month. Either way, I am happy for the improvement.

Before:

New plate:
i love it! Excellent plate for the track guru!
4DRZ (09-14-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 03:20 PM
TheDevilsG
Registered Member

Received 118 Likes on 92 Posts
Btw i don't know if there's a place to do this but I'd like to do it here for now.

4DRZ really deserves to be a mod on the site. He has excellent knowledge and will spend time to give you great advice! He has personally answered Qs on track setup advice for me, even watched a vid of me doing some laps and given me tips on improving my driving lines and style when i asked.

Just a stellar fellow G member of all sorts. If there is a voting system, he has my vote. Thank you 4drz, you are awesome! 🍺
The following 4 users liked this post by TheDevilsG:
4DRZ (09-14-2020), Epiphany (09-13-2020), ngolbuff (09-14-2020), Rooster Tail (09-16-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 04:57 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

That's definitely better. Less confusing.

Wait, did the irony of "America's Dairyland" ever come up? It just hit me over the head, and now I love your new tag.
I swear we talked about this earlier, but maybe it was someone else. The whole "Got Milk?" campaign was definitely an inspiration and I thought it was fitting being in "America's Dairyland."

Originally Posted by TheDevilsG
Btw i don't know if there's a place to do this but I'd like to do it here for now.

4DRZ really deserves to be a mod on the site. He has excellent knowledge and will spend time to give you great advice! He has personally answered Qs on track setup advice for me, even watched a vid of me doing some laps and given me tips on improving my driving lines and style when i asked.

Just a stellar fellow G member of all sorts. If there is a voting system, he has my vote. Thank you 4drz, you are awesome! 🍺
Thanks man! Glad I could help. It looks like you are getting faster and more importantly, having fun.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:18 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The sunlight is crazy here today with the smoke from the forest fires (far, far away from here) so I thought I would take some pics experimenting with the light. The Z proto concept reveal last night also reminded me how rare manuals are and also inspired me to take a few pics with my new license plates. I searched for some new photo spots. Hopefully, you guys like some of these as I spent the last few hours deleting the hundreds of photos that I didn't like. I'm never taking that many photos again. I think my eyes are starting to cross now.

The following 2 users liked this post by 4DRZ:
Lego_Maniac (09-17-2020), ngolbuff (09-18-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 03:38 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Nice pics 4DRZ. Maybe my recent set of photos inspired you. I forgot how clean and close to stock your car looks.

My favorite is the car wash pic.

Last edited by Rochester; 09-16-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:33 PM
AdamBritt
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
That looks so good and so clean. I like the last pic on the rails.
4DRZ (09-17-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 12:10 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I got a free oil change from Infiniti recently, but I am always a bit skeptical to let someone else work on my car, especially with a much larger oil filter due to the oil cooler and a rather fragile aluminum drain plug with a magnet in it. I told them about the drain plug, left a note on the filter box about it, and the torque spec is literally engraved on the drain plug. And yet I still get this on the receipt?!? Not even close to the right torque rating stamped right on the drain plug.

Old 10-02-2020, 12:29 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 736 Likes on 573 Posts
That blows, I get you want to keep service records for this car however being a former Infiniti tech. You are at the hands of the least experience ones.
They are only getting paid .2 hours for that oil change, it's difficult to care when the car only comes in for that since more that since up sales will be difficult or impossible to sell for a car/owner that works on their own.

You can clearly see even at your best attempt this is what you got. Knowledgeable techs wont want to touch it since they'll end up wasting their time with your car.
You need to befriend some dealer techs, for the most part you'll find an enthusiast that works there who could use a beer or 12
Old 10-02-2020, 01:23 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
That blows, I get you want to keep service records for this car however being a former Infiniti tech. You are at the hands of the least experience ones.
They are only getting paid .2 hours for that oil change, it's difficult to care when the car only comes in for that since more that since up sales will be difficult or impossible to sell for a car/owner that works on their own.

You can clearly see even at your best attempt this is what you got. Knowledgeable techs wont want to touch it since they'll end up wasting their time with your car.
You need to befriend some dealer techs, for the most part you'll find an enthusiast that works there who could use a beer or 12
I hear you on that one. I work at a huge import store and do most of the work on my car on our lifts. I am good friends with the service advisor at our Infiniti store across the street so I had to give him a hard time about it after telling him specifically about the drain plug and how my shop once over-torqued it and the next time I went to change my oil it sheared in half just by loosening it. I would not be surprised if the same thing happened the next time I change my oil, but they will take care of it.

It's just frustrating how obvious you make it and they still screw it up. My shop does the same thing and it drives me insane. I tell them something I want them to fix numerous times and about an hour later the service advisor will stop by and say, "so what was it that you wanted us to do?" The first thing that pops in my head to say is always, "Listen! I wanted you to listen." I know they are not perfect, but it happens every, single, time. /rant Off my soap box now and I will change my name back from Karen.
BULL (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 01:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Some things are better if you just let it go. It doesn't feel like that in the moment, only with hindsight.

We had my wife's car at the shop for an Inspection last week. They said on the phone the oil was a little low, which was odd because I had just changed it a few days prior. When we picked it up, they again said it was a "little low" and I gave them the go ahead to top it off. Apparently the kid they told to "top it off" simply dumped an entire quart into the pan... goddammit. I checked the oil that night, realized what happened, then had to run out and buy 5 quarts of synthetic and change the oil all over again. Frustrated and a little angry, I wrote a letter that I sat on for two days before deciding to let it go. My thinking is that they routinely see the max line as the fill line, when I typically go just a nudge under the max line. In any event, it was small potatoes compared to a much larger body of good work.

Anyway... there's a somewhat on-topic story.

The other lesson learned here (among many) is that I should have put one of those Fumoto drain valves on her car. Oh well. Next time.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:42 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Some things are better if you just let it go. It doesn't feel like that in the moment, only with hindsight.

We had my wife's car at the shop for an Inspection last week. They said on the phone the oil was a little low, which was odd because I had just changed it a few days prior. When we picked it up, they again said it was a "little low" and I gave them the go ahead to top it off. Apparently the kid they told to "top it off" simply dumped an entire quart into the pan... goddammit. I checked the oil that night, realized what happened, then had to run out and buy 5 quarts of synthetic and change the oil all over again. Frustrated and a little angry, I wrote a letter that I sat on for two days before deciding to let it go. My thinking is that they routinely see the max line as the fill line, when I typically go just a nudge under the max line. In any event, it was small potatoes compared to a much larger body of good work.

Anyway... there's a somewhat on-topic story.

The other lesson learned here (among many) is that I should have put one of those Fumoto drain valves on her car. Oh well. Next time.
I agree. That's why I didn't make a big deal about it with them. It's just frustrating how common those types of mistakes are. I always say that common sense is frighteningly uncommon. Especially so in service departments.

Have you tried using that drain valve yet? It seems like an interesting idea, but I do like having a magnet there to keep the oil just a touch cleaner and catch any metal contaminants. Over time it does seem to pick up very fine metal... dust? Not really shavings.

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan