Build Threads

Intricate's Mod Thread - A Detailed Journey

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 06:48 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
can't really say a lot because I am using my phone to remotely connect to my computer but I wanted to provide the link to the video that I promised. See link below. I will attach this to the first page when I get a chance.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:13 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Are you the guy with the ZZ Top beard? That's a nice beard.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:37 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Originally Posted by Rochester
Are you the guy with the ZZ Top beard? That's a nice beard.
Would you be amused if I said that I had to google that to see what the reference was to? I'm that mixed mutt of a dude that is wearing the silly army t-shirt and can't figure out what to do with his hands through most of the video.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:45 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

[QUOTE =blnewt;3885210]So are you back to the shop today?
Sounds like you have a good crew over there, these kind of mods rarely go without any hiccups and yours seem pretty minor. Time was running thin and you were probably real close to a full bleed.
How much actual clearance did you have between the SSR spokes and the top of the caliper and from the inner barrel to the side of the caliper?
Just curious so when the times comes to recommend them in the future
Thanks C![/QUOTE]

Brad I am actually sitting at the airport in Dallas on my way to Florida. I just got the ok to push the video through so I wanted to at least get it out there so you guys could see it. I will make sure they get all the answers to those questions as soon as I get back this coming weekend.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:51 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by IntricateDetail
Would you be amused if I said that I had to google that to see what the reference was to? I'm that mixed mutt of a dude that is wearing the silly army t-shirt and can't figure out what to do with his hands through most of the video.
LOL, got a bit dizzy watching that but looks like a great shop, very clean, organized and the other cars show that they work on quality vehicles.
Did you get the brakes bled out today or are you just gimping around until you can get back there?
BTW, you seem to be one hellofa texting machine, and pretty good at setting up videos

I had to ROTFLOL about googling the ZZ top reference, must be nice to be so young

Keep the updates coming.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:12 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Originally Posted by blnewt
LOL, got a bit dizzy watching that but looks like a great shop, very clean, organized and the other cars show that they work on quality vehicles.
Did you get the brakes bled out today or are you just gimping around until you can get back there?
BTW, you seem to be one hellofa texting machine, and pretty good at setting up videos

I had to ROTFLOL about googling the ZZ top reference, must be nice to be so young

Keep the updates coming.
I did not drive the car at all today. I left today to go to the airport and that's where I am now. I will be in Florida all week and then I will be back to finish the brakes.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:40 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Yes, but with age comes the wisdom not to wear those sneakers.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:27 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Oh this class is terrible. I can't say awake. And my car is calling me haha. I hope you all are having a great week.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:13 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Oh this class is terrible. I can't say awake. And my car is calling me haha. I hope you all are having a great week.
Hurry back C, you got us all worked up & left us hanging
Old 03-17-2015, 05:10 PM
Anticipator

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Very nice thread indeed.

I am in the research mode to buy me a G37S coupe by Sept 2015.
Coming from Rx7 / Rx8 world so I know the importance of researching and learning from other's experiences and mistakes.

Your thread seems to be precise and to the point, loving it keep up the good work and all the best.

Cheers,
Old 03-20-2015, 06:06 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Hurry back C, you got us all worked up & left us hanging
Just got back about an hour ago. The trip was fun. Was doing an Information Security Risk Analyst course...was more fun than I anticipated. Either way, it's good to be back.

Originally Posted by Anticipator
Very nice thread indeed.

I am in the research mode to buy me a G37S coupe by Sept 2015.
Coming from Rx7 / Rx8 world so I know the importance of researching and learning from other's experiences and mistakes.

Your thread seems to be precise and to the point, loving it keep up the good work and all the best.

Cheers,
Sounds like a plan to me. Wish you the best in your searching, and definitely keep us updated on the purchase and any mods.

Lots of goodies came in while I was gone. For some reason, I ordered McGard SplineDrive 12 x 1.25 but received the 1.5...so will need to ship those back. The other stuff looks golden though.

These pictures are terrible and I will obviously take more when I get everything out of the package and laid out for install. I still need to get some solid exhaust idle/WOT sounds for the comparison vid. Should be nice since I'll have the CAI on there by itself, and then the exhaust...so there will be the three to compare. Stock/CAI/CAI+RHFC+CBE. Because we have John to share what the car sounds like with SRI+RHFC... At least I think that's what you have, right? Eh...
Old 03-20-2015, 07:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Have you given thought to the bracket color on that FSTB?

Had mine stripped and powder coated metallic black. Not saying you should or shouldn't do anything with it, just pointing out something you might not have considered. Although, you do have a Blue Slate Car... IDK.

Maybe it's too soon to think about engine bay details.
The following users liked this post:
IntricateDetail (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 08:11 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Originally Posted by Rochester
Have you given thought to the bracket color on that FSTB?

Had mine stripped and powder coated metallic black. Not saying you should or shouldn't do anything with it, just pointing out something you might not have considered. Although, you do have a Blue Slate Car... IDK.

Maybe it's too soon to think about engine bay details.
Thanks for the heads up and for introducing the thought. I hadn't even considered it, so it is something I will start processing. Honestly, I'm not really sure what I want to do with my engine bay yet. Like you said, the other items have kind of taken most of my time and brainpower (which isn't much).

Hopefully by the end of next week I'll have the following complete:

Brakes fully functional, CAI, Swaybars, Strut Bar, Tire mount/balance (road force).

The wheels and tires will probably wait another week or two before they go on...but they will be sitting in the den until then, and I'll be sure to get some pics.

Hey John and Brad....what do you think of these? Yes, I know I'm copying you John....but hey, great taste deserves repeating. Trending is your thing haha.

So these are the ones you got John...I like them, and was going to get them.

Amazon.com: McGard 65554CN Chrome SplineDrive Wheel Installation Kit (M12 x 1.25 Thread Size) - For 5 Lug Wheels: Automotive Amazon.com: McGard 65554CN Chrome SplineDrive Wheel Installation Kit (M12 x 1.25 Thread Size) - For 5 Lug Wheels: Automotive

But then...........out of nowhere...........these showed up as an alternative option.

Amazon.com: McGard 65554BCC Chrome With Blue Cap SplineDrive Wheel Installation Kit (M12 x 1.25 Thread Size) - For 5 Lug Wheels: Automotive Amazon.com: McGard 65554BCC Chrome With Blue Cap SplineDrive Wheel Installation Kit (M12 x 1.25 Thread Size) - For 5 Lug Wheels: Automotive

I said to myself "Carl, these look pretty close to the blue you need in your life. That blue has the potential to offset the silver calipers and wheels sufficiently. If you don't buy those, you will probably die." So now I am torn...what do you guys think?

Last edited by IntricateDetail; 03-20-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:36 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Hey John and Brad....what do you think of these? Yes, I know I'm copying you John....but hey, great taste deserves repeating. Trending is your thing haha.

So these are the ones you got John...I like them, and was going to get them.

Amazon.com: McGard 65554CN Chrome SplineDrive Wheel Installation Kit (M12 x 1.25 Thread Size) - For 5 Lug Wheels: Automotive

But then...........out of nowhere...........these showed up as an alternative option.

Amazon.com: McGard 65554BCC Chrome With Blue Cap SplineDrive Wheel Installation Kit (M12 x 1.25 Thread Size) - For 5 Lug Wheels: Automotive

I said to myself "Carl, these look pretty close to the blue you need in your life. That blue has the potential to offset the silver calipers and wheels sufficiently. If you don't buy those, you will probably die." So now I am torn...what do you guys think?
Sometimes the color isn't accurate on these products when displayed on web pages, but the blue I see on my screen looks like it would go real well w/ your Blue Slate and break up the "sea of silver" going on w/ your silver wheels, silver rotors and silver calipers. I'd go with the blue, but they're quality lug nuts either way and that's the most important consideration.
Also if you follow my rotor slot recommendation in the PM I think that will break up the silver pretty well too
The following users liked this post:
IntricateDetail (03-20-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 07:56 AM
Rochester
Administrator

That's your answer. Also, no decision like this is ever final when you can easily replace them on the (relative) cheap.

The overall design of the McGards is really excellent. Quality stuff, good price, and the two-piece floating aluminum design has a lot of appeal. Ditto for the (also relative) security of the McGard-only spline drive socket.

Quick Reply: Intricate's Mod Thread - A Detailed Journey