Build Threads

Intricate's Mod Thread - A Detailed Journey

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 04:22 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Originally Posted by IntricateDetail
Calipers have been shipped. They sent them overnight with guaranteed delivery by 10:30AM tomorrow. The cost for the return label they sent me for the old calipers, and the overnight service for the new calipers was all swallowed by the dealership. They even called me to inform me when they had delivered the calipers to FedEx. That's service right there! Excited to get these installed this weekend. Should have lots of pics/videos coming.

Not sure that I've seen a full video of a Takeda long tube CAI install on here yet, so assuming my GoPro works as intended...I should have that for people looking to do this in the future. I know there have been a few threads dedicated solely to the process to get the intake itself, and/or the splash shield to fit inside the bumper.
Great to hear they went the extra mile for you, I've dealt w/ them a couple times and they were top notch w/ my transactions too. I'd delete those pics of the other calipers, they're not pretty enough for this thread.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:58 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Great to hear they went the extra mile for you, I've dealt w/ them a couple times and they were top notch w/ my transactions too. I'd delete those pics of the other calipers, they're not pretty enough for this thread.
Soooooo true about the other calipers...although the posts themselves I can't delete...so kind of stuck there haha.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:26 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Second post updated with other dyno sheet. Didn't realize they store those hehe. Called them and they sent me the 4th gear pull so I would have a better 1:1 ratio baseline on record. I'm still going to have them do a 3rd gear pull in the future...but will ensure I have them do at least 2 4th gear pulls as well.

If anyone doubts this is the 4th gear pull, I don't really know what to tell you lol. It shows as RunFile_003, and the other dyno sheet I posted is RunFile_004...which was the last pull and the 3rd gear pull. You can watch the YouTube video and see what I'm talking about, 4 pulls...2 x 3rd gear, 1 x 4th, and then 1 x 3rd. Starting at RunFile_001...etc...I'm sure most people can figure it out haha. Okies, that's all for now folks. Cheers!

Last edited by IntricateDetail; 03-12-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:19 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Well, my calipers just came in. Very pleased with the packaging. The first package looked like it was about to fall apart...all ghetto and taped up.

This one was in a very nice box with NISSAN lettering, everything was bubble wrapped and the box was stapled shut. All of the boxes inside housing the individual calipers were snug with the bubble wrap, but very nice and definitely in pristine condition. I know, some people don't care about the condition of their transport material...but I do. Very good Infiniti of Gwinnett, very good indeed.

I snapped a couple of shots of the calipers...and I am very pleased with the paint and lettering. I am actually super happy and think I will keep the calipers like this for quite some time. I might change the color in the future, but that will be low on the priority ladder for a while.

Oh, these are for you John...I figured I could go the extra mile and upload my images to an image hosting site so I can embed the image as a link and not as an attachment. Cheers.

You probably won't hear from me for a few days since I will be installing things tomorrow, and then going on a business trip Sunday. I'll be back next Friday and will make sure to get everything edited and uploaded if I don't get it done before I leave. Cheers!
Old 03-13-2015, 06:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Originally Posted by IntricateDetail
Oh, these are for you John...I figured I could go the extra mile and upload my images to an image hosting site so I can embed the image as a link and not as an attachment. Cheers.
Good for you, man. Exciting upgrade, and looks great. Ah... left-side / right-side slots. Interesting detail. Nice marcros, BTW. Although I was expecting you'd match up the 2-pots in front of the rears, and the 4-pots for the fronts. Guess you don't go the extra mile, do you? tsk tsk
Old 03-13-2015, 07:16 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Ahhh, that's more like it
Hope you have a smooth install & look forward to the install pics.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:48 AM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Originally Posted by Rochester
Good for you, man. Exciting upgrade, and looks great. Ah... left-side / right-side slots. Interesting detail. Nice marcros, BTW. Although I was expecting you'd match up the 2-pots in front of the rears, and the 4-pots for the fronts. Guess you don't go the extra mile, do you? tsk tsk
Thanks John. Haha, well...I guess there's always room for improvement. One of the many lessons I've learned thus far in life. It's nice to have something to strive toward.

Ahhh, that's more like it
Hope you have a smooth install & look forward to the install pics.
Thanks Brad. A lot coming for sure. Only problem that I hope isn't really a problem...I don't know if I bought enough brake fluid. Bought it off of Amazon and got 3 x 500ml bottles. It's basically 1 1/2 quarts, which some people seem to think is enough for a full flush, and others aren't so sure.

I guess we'll find out.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:10 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Well, today's little visit to the DIY shop didn't exactly go as planned. I wish I had time to do a full writeup right now, but I just don't. So here's a little taste of what went on.

The picture of me with my finger on the wheel...that is showing how much of a gap is between the inside lip of the wheel. You can see there isn't much. That has me a little concerned for after I put the tires on. However, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Good news is, the wheels clear my Akebono calipers so we are good to go for SSR GTV03 in the 18 inch flavor.

Other than that...didn't get to the CAI because we ran into obscene amounts of issues with the brake setup. We finally called it quits around 7PM, which was 9 hours after we started. We were bleeding the system and just could not get the calipers to stop "bubbling". It was insane. Either way, we will have to do another bleeding session when I get back from my business trip. Needless to say, I crept home since I didn't trust the brakes that much and the car will stay parked there until I get back and can take it back to the shop. I did not do a proper bed-in because of this...but my rotors never got too warm (felt them when I got home)...so hopefully I can complete that once the bleeding is complete.

Alright, that's all for now...cheers all!

Old 03-15-2015, 02:44 AM
SlickVic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those wheels are bad *** with the brakes, cant wait to see it all together with tires.

That sucks that you didn't get to 100% finish the brake job. When you were putting the new lines an calipers on did you happen to let to much fluid drain out an let the reservoir go empty? Cause if you did i hear that can give you a real hard time.

What did you do with the front dust shield? Any pics
Old 03-15-2015, 03:58 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Awesome pics! So glad the brakes cleared, I thought you'd be OK without spacers but great to have confirmation. You'll be fine w/ that inner clearance, and the tires are a bit stretched so you won't have any additional width to worry about.
Thanks for the updates. Those big calipers w/ the 18s looks bad as$, makes the brakes look even bigger than they actually are.
Is it possible you let the fluid in the master cylinder get a bit too low during the install? If so it will take a lot of bleed cycling to get rid of the air.

Last edited by blnewt; 03-15-2015 at 04:16 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:52 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,647 Likes on 3,477 Posts
Awesome pics! So glad the brakes cleared, I thought you'd be OK without spacers but great to have confirmation.
It's an uncommon 18" that can clear the OEM BBK. I bet if this were more common knowledge, that more people here would get those rims in 18" trim. They take a fantastic close up photo.

So far it seems like you made some good choices, OP.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:10 AM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
You should consider getting a power bleeder it makes the job a lot easier.

I believe this is the one I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Products-Import-3-Tab-Bleeder/dp/B00KY56NCU
Old 03-15-2015, 09:45 AM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Originally Posted by SlickVic
Those wheels are bad *** with the brakes, cant wait to see it all together with tires.

That sucks that you didn't get to 100% finish the brake job. When you were putting the new lines an calipers on did you happen to let to much fluid drain out an let the reservoir go empty? Cause if you did i hear that can give you a real hard time.

What did you do with the front dust shield? Any pics
Thanks Slick. I really love the way they turned out with the new wheels, and love that the new wheels actually fit around them. When we were putting the new lines on, we kept the fluid at a minimum of halfway between the min/max lines in the reservoir. The guys that were helping me have bled a lot of Akebonos and they were saying these calipers can prove difficult if they're not coming off of someone else's vehicle, hence having fluid already in them or ran through them. From the factory they can be prone to bubbles. We'll bleed it again and I'm sure we'll be alright.

I didn't take pics of the front dust shields, but I did take video of it. I wasn't thinking all that well yesterday and ended up being more involved with stuff than I thought, so I forgot about pictures of certain things. However, we did have to cut them. What we did was just take some simple metal cutters, like shears...and we cut what we thought was enough from around the top, then snipped the front edges as well (closest to the front of the car). Then he used a grinder to get the edges a little less (accidental suicide) sharp...so the next person fooling around in there doesn't kill themselves. We didn't measure or anything, but again, these guys have done this a lot...so that was the easy part. Everything fit on well with the first cut, and didn't have any issues with the front. We also trimmed the rears though...but didn't get the rear driver side well enough, and so when I took off last night, you could hear the tick-tick of it hitting as it went around. I stopped, the guy jumped under there and just pulled it back a bit from the rotor and we were good to go. Looks like when he was using the grinder on it he might have pushed it forward a bit and was causing contact. Took 5 seconds to fix and I was on my way.

The hard part was figuring out how to run the brake line in the front. It appears StopTech's instructions are for a sport model or something because it has additional brackets/bolt locations that I didn't have. So it took some finagling to get it to a point where they were comfortable with it not getting pinched or rubbed under serious turning or suspension movement. Their concern for my safety was really what ended up taking so long...and I'm super happy I had them there. That literally took about 1 1/2 - 2 hours of our day...and that was on the first caliper/rotor...so we were already way behind by the time we got both fronts on.

All that being said, and I know I'm long winded here...when I go back over there to re-bleed the brakes, I will definitely take pics of everything I can think of. I'll also try to get some stills out of the videos when I get a chance to edit them all.

Awesome pics! So glad the brakes cleared, I thought you'd be OK without spacers but great to have confirmation. You'll be fine w/ that inner clearance, and the tires are a bit stretched so you won't have any additional width to worry about.
Thanks for the updates. Those big calipers w/ the 18s looks bad as$, makes the brakes look even bigger than they actually are.
Is it possible you let the fluid in the master cylinder get a bit too low during the install? If so it will take a lot of bleed cycling to get rid of the air.
Hey Brad, thanks man! Yea, I'm super happy as well. I wondered about that inner clearance and the guys from the club that all helped yesterday pretty much agreed with what you're saying. If I had gone 265 or something like that, we might have some issues. So I'm hoping we'll be alright.

Yea, I just don't know to be honest about the whole master cylinder and the fluid and all that. Again, we didn't ever let the fluid go below halfway between max/min in the reservoir the whole time we were bleeding, and there was always fluid in the bleeder. But I mean, I guess it's hard to say really. One of the guys there had to bleed his 10 times before he got it the way he wanted. Of course, his car had been sitting all jacked up for like a year as well haha...but basically I'm just saying at least I'm better off than that.

Originally Posted by Rochester
It's an uncommon 18" that can clear the OEM BBK. I bet if this were more common knowledge, that more people here would get those rims in 18" trim. They take a fantastic close up photo.

So far it seems like you made some good choices, OP.
Thank you John. I am very excited and happy they fit. I will probably get my mounting done the week of the 29th, and see about putting them on the 1st or 2nd week of April.

Originally Posted by tonyHTX
You should consider getting a power bleeder it makes the job a lot easier.

I believe this is the one I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Products-Import-3-Tab-Bleeder/dp/B00KY56NCU
Oh we were using a power bleeder. We had a very similar one to that. It was very nice. The real issue with the brakes was that not many have the X model, so that was difficult...since obviously either the X part or the sedan part was causing issues with the install. Most people have the coupe and it's RWD. At least in my club. A lot of them have Z's as well.

Once we figured out the issues with the brake lines and all that, we really didn't run into any more issues. It was just that we were running out of time by the time we started bleeding, and weren't able to give it as much attention as we probably should have. So we're going to do it again, but this time start doing it in the morning when we are doing the CAI, etc...and have the whole day to knock the air out of it.

Plus, at this point we're pretty sure we're using the RBF600 stuff, so we can recycle most of it. Speaking of that, I had some concerns on whether I had bought enough Motul RBF600 fluid. I bought 3 x 500ml bottles to do a full flush. I would say that is probably enough...but I would get 4 bottles just to be on the safe side. We had about 1/3 of a bottle left...and if we had been able to take as long as we wanted to with it...we probably would have broken into the 4th bottle, just to be sure all the old was out. Cheers!

Last edited by IntricateDetail; 03-15-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:32 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

So are you back to the shop today?
Sounds like you have a good crew over there, these kind of mods rarely go without any hiccups and yours seem pretty minor. Time was running thin and you were probably real close to a full bleed.
How much actual clearance did you have between the SSR spokes and the top of the caliper and from the inner barrel to the side of the caliper?
Just curious so when the times comes to recommend them in the future
Thanks C!
Old 03-15-2015, 04:23 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
That rim choice is absolutely perfect for your car. Everything is looking great... Can't wait until you get it all together.

Quick Reply: Intricate's Mod Thread - A Detailed Journey