Build Threads

Sway's Black 2010 6MT Coupe + Bio (Pic Heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 04:05 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
UPDATE:
Ported M370 installed!
Vbox sport bought for before and after Ecutek Tune comparison!

So about a month ago I installed my ported M370. I would say I have a little more bottom end, as I can spin the tires easier, the first two days I accidentally made the tires shutter half the time I took off from a red light lol. But I really feel it in the mid range... When cruising in gear and you press on the gas it has some kick now without dropping down. The midrange gain is undeniable. Some people state they can feel a drop in the top end with a regular m370 (though dyno's show only 1-3 hp lost for about 300 rpms so idk how you would feel that.) But with the ported mani I don't feel that, it feels like it smoothed out the power band a little to be honest. I'll be getting tuned by seb from Specialty Z later this month after I get some base/before tune 1/4 mile, 0-60, and 60ft times to compare to. I've already contacted him and he's ready for me to give him the green light.

Last edited by Sway_NV; 05-30-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:42 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

So after reading Rochester and 4DRZ's reviews of the Z1 poly Transmisson mount I decided to go ahead and one up to install with my TWM sts, hopefully I'll get those installed this weekend... So I'll be doing a review of those soon as well.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:19 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,694 Likes on 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by Sway_NV
So after reading Rochester and 4DRZ's reviews of the Z1 poly Transmisson mount I decided to go ahead and one up to install with my TWM sts, hopefully I'll get those installed this weekend... So I'll be doing a review of those soon as well.
Haha, I suppose we do share that blame, although I got clued into it by 4DRZ, so I blame him. Anyway, subbed here for your feedback on these items.

As you've read in my thread on the STS and mount, a few people swapped in an aftermarket transmission mount, and are now having regrets. Reading your comments and your car history, I don't think that will be you. Pretty sure you're going to be jazzed up about it, and that feeling won't go away.

Seeing as it's the weekend, figure you're installing these parts right now. G'luck.

BTW, first time I read through your progress thread. Impressive, man. Very nice build.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-28-2016 at 07:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sway_NV (05-31-2016)
Old 05-30-2016, 09:42 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

UPDATE:
Sound system added!

Picked up a custom fiber glass box from someone on the forum with a 12" Rockford fosgate P2, and paired it with my JL audio 500/1 amp. It looks pretty decent and is a pretty light set up so I'm pretty happy with it. It's got some punch to it and fills in what to me was a hollow lack of sound from the rear in our cars. I normally cruise with it only 1/4 of the way up just to add that extra umph.

You can't tell too well from the photo but there's white led's on the back of the face plates that shine onto the box where it's painted the same color silver as the interior trim silver around the sub. Not super flashy but a nice pop I think.

I also had the trunk switch relocated next to the hood latch where the blank switch spot was and put the sub control **** where the trunk switch used to be. I think it worked out great actually...

And yes Rochester, I did get my twm short shifter and z1 poly Trans mount installed this weekend.............

I need a few days with it before I review. I now understand what you guys mean by "growl." And I can see both sides to loving it and hating it... I'll update with a full review in the next day or two.

OH! And I got a package in the mail this Saturday!

Last edited by Sway_NV; 05-31-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:48 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Sell me your damn sound system! It looks so nice to! I never knew you had a build thread... I'm officially subbed to this one!
Sway_NV (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 10:26 AM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Originally Posted by kennyz424
Sell me your damn sound system! It looks so nice to! I never knew you had a build thread... I'm officially subbed to this one!
Kenny you weirdo, lol. You commented on the previous page haha
Old 05-31-2016, 11:35 AM
kennyz424

Hahahha
I guess I didn't realize it bc I wasn't subbed to it lol maaa baaddddd homieee lol
Old 06-04-2016, 02:08 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Okay so it's finally time...

UPDATE:
TWM Short Shifter & Z1 Poly transmission mount

So I've been driving around for a week now, 95% of the time with no music on. And I think I've finally gotten enough seat time to collect my thoughts. Let's do the easy one first and go with the TWM SS. First off height, I got a leopard **** from TWM as well. It's a great quality weighted ****, and I love it! It's kinda funny how much of a difference a weighted **** makes, but it's well worth the investment imho. At first out of the box it felt small... But once I got it installed it feels perfect! A+ on the ****, would recommend for purchase. And idk if the threads don't go as deep on this **** or what, but I only adjusted the **** a little bit and it feels close to stock height to me. It might be lower by about 1/4" but I like it where it's at.

I do feel that I need a shift collar, and as some of you know my friend messed up my trim piece during the install so I need another one of those as well... But as far as looks and **** height/feel go, another A+ from me. Now on the the shifter itself. Man these throws are short! That shift pattern is really tight. Not the shortest I've ever used, but I think there's such a thing as too short, but this is just perfect! I've only miss shifted once so far, I hit 5th instead of 3rd which was no big deal. The shifts are crisp and clean, no slop and it has a real audible and tangible click into gear feel. I do still wish it was smoother, but it is a lot smoother than stock! I was just spoiled with my RSX type R Trans as it was smooth as butter. It would literally just fall into gear if you gave it a push. But I feel this could be more the crappy slave cyl and clutch assembly we have in our cars. So performance wise overall I give this set up an A. Would definitely recommend for all 6mt drivers.

Now for what you've all been waiting for... The poly Z1 mount.

Man is this thing a beast. I believe my first words while taking off after install were "Holy what the sh*t?!" Growl is right. It adds a beastly guttural growl to your engine under acceleration. It honestly kind of has a V8 sense to it. It was surprising to say the least. My initial reaction was this is too much! ... But then I stepped on the gas again... And again.... Ohhhhhhh.... This is beastly. It took less than a minute for my initial shock to wear off and the growl to become music to my ears. Really, it's just mean. This crosses over to sports car territory. But in a good way. I don't feel much more vibration if any... But you do hear it in places. When you accelerate you get a beefy growl. Almost like amplified engine roar. (Again, in a very positive, yet aggressive way.) under normal cruising I find minimal difference aside from a few sweet spots where hermonics must be just right or something. When releasing the gas pedal and letting the gear slow you down you'll hear more and can feel the Trans move via the shifter... Idle sometimes has a little amplified Trans noise, but nothing I can't live with. With music I doubt I'll hear it. When you turn off the car you will hear the Trans rattle as it shuts off, again no big deal. In the end as far as NVH what do I think? I love the growl, it's amazing. Not too much, doesn't get old after a while, it just becomes normal. The little Trans rattles here and there I do not like. But, once you get used to them and know there's nothing wrong with your car, they aren't that bothersome anymore. Physical vibration feel, non existent for me 90% of the time.

Performance wise, I have no idea. I feel like I have more traction... But I don't know how that makes sense. Does anyone else with a Trans mount feel that way? Rochester? 4DRZ? Also the car feels more solid. Planted... I feel more connected with the car now. It's hard to explain, but it's good. Shifts are much smoother now, no slop in the shifter... Took out most of the lurch when shifting. Which is one weird thing to me, after the 4.08s the car felt like it put you back in your seat more that before for obvious reasons. And now, with the Trans mount I feel less of that. But I think it was more of the lurch in shifting gears that did it. Now it usually is just a smooth push into your seat as the car pulls instead of a shove back into your seat. The car also just feels more ready to go on an instant... More responsive. I feel there are things I'm leaving out but it's simply because it's hard to explain them. But they're good things. It's just one of those things you have to experience. All the negatives are so small they don't bother me, and they get even smaller after time. But that being said, I do think if you got the motor mounts and Trans mounts, it would more than likely be too much for a DD. I'm not willing to be the ginneapig on that one.

In the end I give this mod an A. Do I recommend it? Well that depends... If you want a sporty car and don't mind the small cons that come with that, go for it! You'll love it! On the other hand, if you want to keep your car more luxury... This mod may not be for you. I do advise against this mod for anyone who doesn't have an exhaust system. The exhaust helps balance this mod out and the sounds and sensations they give work together. An exhaust without this mount is great... This mount without an exhaust... Well... Let's just say that would be like having subs but no interior speakers. The subs add to the sound, improve it and give it that extra umph! But if you don't have any sound to begin with, it would sound pretty ridiculous!

Last edited by Sway_NV; 06-04-2016 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Typo
The following 3 users liked this post by Sway_NV:
blnewt (06-04-2016), kennyz424 (06-05-2016), Rochester (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 02:33 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Good review. Gratifying to read someone else validating similar thoughts on thes two mods.

You're spot on about a requirement being a loud exhaust, otherwise the growl from the mount would just be too much... As we've seen with members with the Tanabe axleback uninstalling this thing.

LatheWerks will cut you a boot ring for under your ****. Ball **** looks king of goofy without trim under it.

Shame about the larger trim ring. It looks like someone was experimenting on how to remove the boot section, and failed the hard way. IDK if that part can be purchased seperately. G'luck with that.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:01 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Also, this caused me to order yet ANOTHER part... Can you guess what it is?
Seeing as how this last mod is what made me order it, I'll blame Rochester for this one too! Lol

And just because, here she is in the driveway a week or two ago.

Old 06-04-2016, 06:31 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,942 Likes on 4,175 Posts
Looking great there Sway, stance, wheels, splitter, it's all good!^^^^
You & John are pretty damn persuasive w/ that poly mount, I'm really mulling over this one.
Sway_NV (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 06:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
Looking great there Sway, stance, wheels, splitter, it's all good!^^^^
You & John are pretty damn persuasive w/ that poly mount, I'm really mulling over this one.
Given the more constant engagement of your 7AT, and your wariness towards added NVH, maybe you ought to try that solid rubber piece out of England. The one Liam installed.

Transmission Mount - Vibra-Technics Compliance Technology
kennyz424 (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 02:34 AM
kennyz424

Damn now I've had the "privilege" of considering this mod after reading up on it... anyone have an estimate of how much and how hard is labor for this trans mount? Is it worth installing on a 7at?

And Chris what's the new part you ordered?! I can't seem to figure it out.. I must be having one of my slow moments lol
Old 06-05-2016, 03:33 AM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

You'll find out soon on that part... And if you have an Trans jack and a lift, that mount swap out is literally 10-15 minutes.... It's actually really easy. Easier than an intake install for sure, and those are pretty simple.
kennyz424 (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 08:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by kennyz424
Damn now I've had the "privilege" of considering this mod after reading up on it... anyone have an estimate of how much and how hard is labor for this trans mount? Is it worth installing on a 7at?
For a skilled mechanic with a lift... Likely a minimum one hour charge, but really it won't take him more than 20 minutes. Very direct, very bolt-on.

The only snag you might run into are rusted bolts.
kennyz424 (06-05-2016)

Quick Reply: Sway's Black 2010 6MT Coupe + Bio (Pic Heavy)