Build Threads

Kirk's Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 09:37 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Post up a review on the RSRs when you get some seat time w/ them.
You got it!

You know those calipers are screaming for some love now
Have you thought about any color combos down there?
I have thought about it, but with going with graphite colored VFS-2s I think the silver will pop a little more. I did think about painting them red, but its just too common of a color.

At any rate, sounds like a very productive weekend and looks awesome!
Thanks! I'm excited to get some seat time in today!

Originally Posted by Rochester
Why are the rears so hard to adjust damping?
As I understand it the adjustment for the rears are at the top of the coil and the only way to get to it is to take the coil out. The fronts are underneath the Cusco brackets, so it shouldn't be too difficult to change.

The pic of the yellow end-link, is that adjusted as short as it will go? It looks it. How did he make the decision on length? My mechanic and I were discussing end-links while it was on the lift a few days ago, and I've come full-circle on the topic, leaving the OEM parts right where they are. He'll check them out whenever he has the car, about twice a year. At least, that's the new plan, LOL.
Yes, I let him make the decision on the length of the endlinks. One of the main reasons why I went ahead and changed the endlinks was because the sways were being replaced anyway. It just so happened that my right rear endlink was shot anyway. I thought about the endlinks for a good hour beore purchasing them because the OEM endlinks are so cheap from Nissan/Infiniti that it almost doesn't make sense to buy the Whitelines. IIRC the OEM endlinks are like $25 for a pair. So you would have to go through quite a few OEM endlinks to get to the cost of the Whitelines, but I said hell with it and just ordered them.

Slotted rotors look fantastic. (jelly) Of course, now that the rotors look as good as they ever will (because new), this Spring is your best moment to get those calipers painted.
Like I said to Brad, I'm kind of waiting to get the VFS-2's put on in the spring because I think the silver might pop from behind the graphite colored wheel. I don't want to make a decision on a caliper color based on my winter wheels.

I agree 100% on the Motordyne cover. Very cheesy seeing that huge sticker. I'm pretty sure there are ways to get the engine cover back on, however it will require some compromises on fitment, and maybe some minor customization.
If I had it my way I would take the Motordyne cover off and leave the OEM cover off too. I want to show the M370 off and don't want to have to say "well trust me its under there". With just a quick Google search there seems to be a 50/50 split of people running with it on and people running with it off. I still need to contact Motordyne and see if its necessary to leave it on, but it will most likely stay on until spring... it's too cold out.

Now that the new UIM and intake is on the car, when are you getting it tuned?
That's next. I have to find time to travel to Louisville to get it tuned since they are only open Mon-Fri and I work second shift (5:15pm-2am). I may just take a day off and get it done, or I may just get little sleep one night and get it done early in the morning. I'll get it figured out, especially since it almost feels like it was already tuned with the added torque, I'm excited to have it done now.

Your car is a total sleeper. Not entirely stock to someone who knows what they're looking at, but just another sedan to someone who doesn't. I think that's fantastic.
If it wasn't for the GTHaus and if I was supercharged then this would be the ultimate sleeper.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:11 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Sounds like you need a supercharger then LOL!

I'm very impressed with your write up! Im curious to know if David removed the exhaust to do the work on the end links? I know space can be tight around that area and removing the rear portion of the exhaust can help. If so, that might explain why the exhaust is a bit louder - maybe it is aligned now or is just s bit out of alignment.

Any noticeable "burbling" on deceleration with the M370? I'm sure the new breather mods + a tune will give your exhaust note a pretty good enhancement. On that note - what is your plan for a tune? Are you going UpRev, ECUtek, or a custom map?

I've got some lift time into the new year and plan to swap all my drive fluids (trans, transfer case, and diff) and will be installing my Stillen trans cooler to help out during the summer months when my car shifts THE WORST. That'll be followed by an ECUtek tune - hopefully the 370 tune has been out long enough that modifications can be made for a G37 7AT and will help with the terrible shifting.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by '11G37S
If it wasn't for the GTHaus...
I suspect Chris' mechanic had some comments about that exhaust.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:21 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Nice write up man, Looks good, My motordyne doesn't have that plate , Plus I reinstalled the stock cover back over the manifold
Old 12-22-2014, 12:55 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Originally Posted by connoisseurr
Sounds like you need a supercharger then LOL!
Lol. Trust me, I've thought about it and I've come very close to buying the Stillen super charger a couple of times, but it's a lot of money, and I'd rather spend that on a new car.

I'm very impressed with your write up! Im curious to know if David removed the exhaust to do the work on the end links? I know space can be tight around that area and removing the rear portion of the exhaust can help. If so, that might explain why the exhaust is a bit louder - maybe it is aligned now or is just s bit out of alignment.
I'm not sure if he took the exhaust apart or not, I couldn't tell when we were under the car. I assumed that it had to be done when changing out the sways, but I don't know if he did or not.

Any noticeable "burbling" on deceleration with the M370? I'm sure the new breather mods + a tune will give your exhaust note a pretty good enhancement. On that note - what is your plan for a tune? Are you going UpRev, ECUtek, or a custom map?
I didn't notice any burbling, but then again I only downshifted myself once the entire way home. I plan to go with UPRev at some point next month.

I suspect Chris' mechanic had some comments about that exhaust.
David did say that my exhaust was loud, but when you're just puttering around its actually pretty quiet. In comparison to Chris's his is actually louder at idle and at cruising speed than mine, at least in the cabin. I was actually quite surprised.

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Nice write up man, Looks good, My motordyne doesn't have that plate , Plus I reinstalled the stock cover back over the manifold
Thanks! I wonder if the plate is something they just started adding for advertisement.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:59 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
The cars looks, drives and sounds great! Yes, I said it was loud but Kirk neglects to mention that AFTER he revved it while I was standing behind him... Bastard. It really is a sleeper, you can hear it when it starts but then unless he jumps on it you can't hear much. Pretty awesome.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:19 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Yeah that exhaust is LOUD. There is a guy local who has that exhaust on a coupe - I think it's been modified? Can't recall when I had a chat with him but they are very loud in person. Much louder than the FI unresonated.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:50 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

John, you were asking about the dampening adjustments, this is the one for the front, its very east to get to, but I haven't played with it just yet.

Name:  20141222_152746.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  44.5 KB

I had my G washed and took a couple of pictures and the drop looks nearly perfect. I don't know if it will settle any more, but if this is where it ends up settling I will be more than happy with that.

Name:  20141222_152927.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  71.2 KB

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
The cars looks, drives and sounds great! Yes, I said it was loud but Kirk neglects to mention that AFTER he revved it while I was standing behind him... Bastard. It really is a sleeper, you can hear it when it starts but then unless he jumps on it you can't hear much. Pretty awesome.
Haha, I enjoy doing that, maybe a little too much sometimes.

Yeah that exhaust is LOUD. There is a guy local who has that exhaust on a coupe - I think it's been modified? Can't recall when I had a chat with him but they are very loud in person. Much louder than the FI unresonated.
It's fairly loud, especially on the outside, but its quite tame on the inside, especially when you aren't getting on it. After driving it around a little bit today I am convinced that it is much louder with the Motordyne and the Takeda, again I'm not sure if it is one vs the other or a combination of both.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:56 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Ordered SPL endlinks and Z1 tubes for the intakes today. I'm pretty sure my oem front front endlinks are shot, so I needed a replacement anyway.

Last edited by '11G37S; 12-26-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:46 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by '11G37S
Z1 tunes for the intakes today.
Assuming that's a type-oh, still... what?

Name:  20141221_161807.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  68.2 KB
Old 12-26-2014, 10:51 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Assuming that's a type-oh, still... what?
Sorry, it was a type-o, it was suppose to be tubes. The OEM breather tubes didn't fit on the Takeda's so I had to order a new set of tubes from Z1 Motorsports. David ran to AutoZone to find a temporary fix until I could order these in black.

Name:  20141221_161807.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  125.5 KB

Old 12-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Rochester
Administrator

AH! Now I get you.

So the OEM breather tubes don't fit the Takeda intakes, even though that's probably the intent? That's really good info to know for anyone looking to upgrade to the Takeda in the future. I'm making note of that right now.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:13 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
I installed these on my R2C also and found they fit much better than what had been on the car and was in the R2C box. They also look much nicer IMO.

Though as I'm typing this I realized they'll be replaced soon anyway.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:36 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

I'm still bank and forth with these as a new winter set...

Name:  _12.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  31.8 KB

Name:  _121.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  36.1 KB
Old 12-26-2014, 04:43 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

I know who's car those are on. The guy works at Infiniti of Tysons Corner, VA.

I sold my diffuser to a guy local that had those wheels on his car, powder coated in a dark gunmetal. They looks very good on the sedan when the color was changed.

Also I'm going to look into those new intake breather tubes - the OEM ones fit terribly.

Quick Reply: Kirk's Build Thread