Build Threads

My Mod + Dyno Log

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 07:19 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
To me, that really just confirms my suspicions that the cats are the biggest bottleneck in the breather system.

Always has been with the VQ's
Old 01-09-2014, 07:24 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,726 Likes on 3,531 Posts
Originally Posted by alfredo24pr
what do you mean with 300 cell count?
Fast Intention cats have a 300 cell count in the catalyst honeycomb. BERK's are 200. IDK about Stillen and the others. For that matter, I don't even know what the OEM cats are, but surely over 300.

That's a good question, though... what is the cell count of the OEM cats?
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
alfredo24pr (01-10-2014), G37xsfun (03-30-2015)
Old 01-10-2014, 09:31 AM
samuel1021
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
Pretty good numbers for such few mods. Well done.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:25 AM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Need help deciding my next mod. Was looking at wheels but change my mind every day, plus the ones I really want are too expensive for my budget.

maybe headers, but that installation may cost me same as headers or I could go for the catback but its more costly than the headers. Still dont know what catback though.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Need help deciding my next mod. Was looking at wheels but change my mind every day, plus the ones I really want are too expensive for my budget.

maybe headers, but that installation may cost me same as headers or I could go for the catback but its more costly than the headers. Still dont know what catback though.
Well, you already have headers (OEM shorties). If you bought long-tube headers, that would negate your catalytic converters, and since you just spent good money on Resonated High-Flow Cats... seems kind of a silly decision, don't you think? An aftermarket cat-back is a reasonable next-mod, however I suspect the dyno gains will be minimal at this point, no matter what you buy there, because you've already opened up your cats.

Given the theme of this thread, here's my recommendation:
  1. Replace your UIM with the Motordyne M370... then Dyno
  2. Get an UpRev tune on the car... then Dyno
  3. After that, upgrade the interface (shifter and clutch pedal).
  4. After that, start reducing unsprung weight (wheels, driveshaft, crank pulley)

Long term, you could consider a new clutch and lightweight flywheel, as well as 4.083 gears in the rear diff.

When all that is done, you either boost the car, sell it, or paint it bright green and drive around like a boss.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-10-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:48 AM
alfredo24pr

Originally Posted by Rochester
Well, you already have headers (OEM shorties). If you bought long-tube headers, that would negate your catalytic converters, and since you just spent good money on Resonated High-Flow Cats... seems kind of a silly decision, don't you think? An aftermarket cat-back is a reasonable next-mod, however I suspect the dyno gains will be minimal at this point, no matter what you buy there, because you've already opened up your cats.

Given the theme of this thread, here's my recommendation:
  1. Replace your UIM with the Motordyne M370... then Dyno
  2. Get an UpRev tune on the car... then Dyno
  3. After that, mess with the interface (shifter and clutch pedal).
  4. After that, start reducing unsprung weight (wheels, driveshaft, crank pulley)

Long term, you could consider a new clutch and lightweight flywheel, as well as 4.083 gears in the rear diff.

When all that is done, you either boost the car, sell it, or paint it bright green and drive around like a boss.
hmm..I thought the M370 gives better powerband and not really any HP gains?
as for headers I would obv get shorties

and I wanted to get the tune after getting all bolt ons.

Lets keep the mods in the exhaust category and M370 for now, before I get too crazy and add some NOS
Old 01-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

hmm..I thought the M370 gives better powerband and not really any HP gains?
as for headers I would obv get shorties
That's my understanding of the M370... gains under the curve. Although I suspect it helps push peak HP after you get the car tuned.

What headers do you have in mind, Alfredo? I wasn't aware there are efficiencies available in replacing the OEM shorties. Hmm... I'd like to research that.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:04 PM
alfredo24pr

That's my understanding of the M370... gains under the curve. Although I suspect it helps push peak HP after you get the car tuned.

What headers do you have in mind, Alfredo? I wasn't aware there are efficiencies available in replacing the OEM shorties. Hmm... I'd like to research that.
was thinking about stillen but some ppl say they are crap.
saw the Z1 but the price is ridiculous.

there must be plenty of other options though, haven't done my research yet, probably because Im scared of installation price.

Z1 Motorsports 370Z/G37 Division
Old 01-10-2014, 02:23 PM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
Geez.... Cats are a huge bottleneck to the VQ system... changed my mind on keeping my stock cats... and the RHFC are not that loud as you expected (sound clips when convenient) is convincing to me to get a pair eventually...

don't forget to add an exhaust to that list. the OEM piping is about 1.75 inches in diameter. FI piping is 2.5 which should relieve some back pressure and a more easy flow of waste gases. On this forum there's usually a group buy for the Fast Intention exhaust with a convenient payment plan that works well for anyone modding on a budget. The 12 week wait would go buy fast enough. no worries.

you could also look into Z1 intake power mod. It's cheaper than motordyne and rumor has it that it yields more power too. this is a theory you can prove....

South Bend clutch & flywheel are supposedly the quietest combo out and JWT is the lightest combo but yields alot of clutch chatter....

Happy modding bruvah!
Old 01-10-2014, 02:48 PM
alfredo24pr

Originally Posted by PongSanity
Geez.... Cats are a huge bottleneck to the VQ system... changed my mind on keeping my stock cats... and the RHFC are not that loud as you expected (sound clips when convenient) is convincing to me to get a pair eventually... don't forget to add an exhaust to that list. the OEM piping is about 1.75 inches in diameter. FI piping is 2.5 which should relieve some back pressure and a more easy flow of waste gases. On this forum there's usually a group buy for the Fast Intention exhaust with a convenient payment plan that works well for anyone modding on a budget. The 12 week wait would go buy fast enough. no worries. you could also look into Z1 intake power mod. It's cheaper than motordyne and rumor has it that it yields more power too. this is a theory you can prove.... South Bend clutch & flywheel are supposedly the quietest combo out and JWT is the lightest combo but yields alot of clutch chatter.... Happy modding bruvah!
I have the 7 A/T btw

As for the M370 or Z1, I think I will contact my future tuner since I have some doubts about that mod. I want some headers instead of catback first since Im pretty sure that headers will give me better numbers.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I have the 7 A/T btw
I must have missed that along the way. Somehow I assumed you had the 6MT.

Well then, that's negative on half the mods I mentioned above.

Still a great thread, alfredo. Three consistent dyno reports, mod after mod within months of one another. Very cool. I just voted you 5-stars, buddy... which means almost nothing at all, but it's a forum thing nonetheless.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-10-2014 at 03:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
alfredo24pr (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 04:54 PM
alfredo24pr

I must have missed that along the way. Somehow I assumed you had the 6MT.

Well then, that's negative on half the mods I mentioned above.

Still a great thread, alfredo. Three consistent dyno reports, mod after mod within months of one another. Very cool. I just voted you 5-stars, buddy... which means almost nothing at all, but it's a forum thing nonetheless.
Thank you. Its the thought that counts lol

I was thinking on taking a break on performance mods, but that changed after last night's dyno run
Old 01-10-2014, 08:54 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
I'm on the fence about the 370 as well. Would definitely be interesting to see if you had any additional gains if you went that route. I've heard positive things about the Z1 mod but I would prefer to have more details on what they're doing to it.

Are you going lighter on rims?

I'm running a similar set up though I'm running an R2C intake instead of the gen 3. My next will be a CBE from FI and I need to get my rims installed which, I hope, will unspring a little more.

Great post and project, thanks again for doing and sharing this!
Old 01-10-2014, 09:32 PM
alfredo24pr

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
I'm on the fence about the 370 as well. Would definitely be interesting to see if you had any additional gains if you went that route. I've heard positive things about the Z1 mod but I would prefer to have more details on what they're doing to it.

Are you going lighter on rims?

I'm running a similar set up though I'm running an R2C intake instead of the gen 3. My next will be a CBE from FI and I need to get my rims installed which, I hope, will unspring a little more.

Great post and project, thanks again for doing and sharing this!
If I buy rims, they will definitely be lighter, but the price of rims and tires are just to much for me atm so I dont think they are in the near future. Looking at headers or the M370 but dont know enough about that mod.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:42 PM
Turbotwiggs

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm about to install mine tomorrow but I am only goin off of butt dyno. I'll let you know how extravagant it is

Quick Reply: My Mod + Dyno Log