Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Double-posting these pics so I can find them here.

Originally Posted by Rochester
Here's a link for these pictures in large resolution: https://goo.gl/photos/jYXHdJ82XhWu7d1w8

...and here they are sized for the forum:

The following users liked this post:
blnewt (08-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 06:34 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Great shots John, looks like your daughter got caught up in the vibe too!
Old 08-10-2016, 11:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Three weeks ago, I put 500 miles on the car driving north of Toronto and back. Last weekend, I put 500 miles on the car driving south of Scranton PA and back. And now I'm putting another about 300 miles on the car driving to Niagara on the Lake.

Yikes! That's a lot of miles on my G all at once. I've got whiplash.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:02 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
But you got to meet hexotic, all worth it

Just to put things in perspective, I drive 80 miles a day lol. (40 to work, and 40 back) Hurts just thinking about it.... not to mention the $450 (cad) a month on gas...
Old 08-10-2016, 08:55 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by hexotic
But you got to meet hexotic, all worth it

Just to put things in perspective, I drive 80 miles a day lol. (40 to work, and 40 back) Hurts just thinking about it.... not to mention the $450 (cad) a month on gas...
Perspective is a funny thing. I just dropped $300 CAN on dinner for two at Niagara on the Lake, however it's one of the best meals I've ever had. Ever.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:22 PM
ShuuraRG
Premier Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
At the 3rd Annual MyG37 Meetup yesterday, and something happened that I had to go back and research. In November 2015, I wrote something in response to ShuuraRG talking about a set of spanner wrenches he bought for his new CO's. I recommended the Joe's Racing wrench offhand. Turns out they don't work for his K-Sports. Oops.

5 months later, in March, ShuuraRG mentioned that he was going to bring them to the August Meet-up and offer them to someone. And 5 months later still, he did exactly that. He came up to me with the spanner wrenches in hand, reminded me about the conversation, and then just handed them to me. How awesome is that?

Here's a picture of the wrenches, in what seems the exact right design for Tein's, side-by-side with the palm-bruisers that Tein gives you with their coil-overs.

Thanks, Roger!

It feels good to be able to give back to a community that has given me so much! Thanks to all of you!!!
The following 4 users liked this post by ShuuraRG:
blnewt (08-11-2016), hexotic (08-11-2016), kennyz424 (08-23-2016), Rochester (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 05:33 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Wow! Looks like you guys had a great turnout at your recent meet. Congrats! Almost makes me wish I still lived on the East Coast... almost.

Oh, and I've got to hand it to Roger... Way to go above and beyond!
Old 08-22-2016, 09:28 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Took the family on a small vacation last week... four people, luggage, and bikes all crammed into an under-powered Honda CRV with 92K of original-owner miles on the clock.

So in that context for comparison, this morning I fired up the G for a quick errand. Just got back, shut it down and took it all in. With as much humility as I can muster... OMG, this car is awesome! The power, noise, feel, handling and shifting, all the cumulative modifications to this car... approaching 5 years of ownership, and I still freaking love it.

That is all.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:09 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
With as much humility as I can muster... OMG, this car is awesome! The power, noise, feel, handling and shifting, all the cumulative modifications to this car... approaching 5 years of ownership, and I still freaking love it.
And you should! You've done such a great job in your plan for this car, and doing your diligent research and not doing one upgrade without thinking about the next has worked to perfection.

Oh, and you didn't mention how your car looks in your post, I would say as much as you love all the performance upgrades, for us sitting at home, it's the look of your car that stands above!

All in all, this is one of the build threads that can help everyone on the site.

The ones that have unlimited budgets can benefit from your detailed planning.

The ones that are stock and looking what to do, this is an awesome blueprint.

For those already where they want to be, there's surely something subtle you've done that will make a nice difference.

You're all about the details, and it's SO paid off!
Rochester (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 10:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Next Mod

While on vacation, FedEx delivered a rear differential rebuild kit of bearings and seals from TheNismoShop. That was $252 shipped.

I've 2 quarts of Red Line 75W90 gathering dust in the corner. Probably buy a couple more quarts, so that I can drain the diff a month or two after the swap.

Next month I'll be buying the Whiteline Rear Differential bushings.

And this coming January, I'll be buying 4.083 Gear Ring & Pinion, probably from Z1 Motorsports.

Next May... installation. Finally. Knock on wood.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:40 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Wow! Way to plan ahead, John! I wish I had just a fraction of the patience that you have. When I was younger I used to make similar plans for my car many months and sometimes years in advance... Now it seems that if I can't afford it at the present I just seem to move on to other things. I think with age I've lost all my patience even with the modification process of my car. Kudos to you for keeping yours!
Old 08-23-2016, 12:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Wow! Way to plan ahead, John! I wish I had just a fraction of the patience that you have. When I was younger I used to make similar plans for my car many months and sometimes years in advance... Now it seems that if I can't afford it at the present I just seem to move on to other things. I think with age I've lost all my patience even with the modification process of my car. Kudos to you for keeping yours!
Yeah, but you've got many other hobbies, and deeper pockets. Besides, if I didn't waste a few grand a year on the car, then I'd blow it on frivolous chit, like saving for college tuition.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:10 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
So in that context for comparison, this morning I fired up the G for a quick errand. Just got back, shut it down and took it all in. With as much humility as I can muster... OMG, this car is awesome! The power, noise, feel, handling and shifting, all the cumulative modifications to this car... approaching 5 years of ownership, and I still freaking love it.

That is all.
After having the privilege of driving your car at the PA meet I have to say I FREAKING LOVE YOUR CAR TOO! lol I can't wait till next years meet to see if I can convince you to let me drive it again!

All seriousness though Roch I love everything about your car from the exterior, to the interior to the engine bay. And what I respect the most is the patience you continue to show with modding it. Truly an inspiration to how modding should be done, unlike me who did it all in a years time!
Rochester (08-23-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 10:11 AM
Rochester
Administrator

It's a gorgeous morning, the car is spotless clean... so after dropping my kid off at this event, I drove to the area Jaguar Dealership for some seat time in the F-Type 6MT Coupe.

Welp, that didn't happen. Turns out the 6MT accounts for only 3% to 5% of the F-Type and F-Type S cars made. (The monstrous F-Type R is now AWD automatic only, and was never a 6MT.) On top of that, the salesman informed me that they intentionally don't stock 6MT's, and neither do any of the dealerships in maybe a 200 mile radius, or more... this being Western NY and all. The only way they would ever have a 6MT in stock is if a customer ordered the car and the deal fell through. Moreover, in the time since Jaguar started building the 6MT again, they've only sold one 6MT. One car, for the entire region.

(sigh)

In other words, getting a F-Type 6MT Coupe will be just as difficult as it was for me to get this G37S Sedan 6MT. And when the day comes that I pursue Next Car, I'll have to take a leap of faith on the 6MT, without any seat time. At least with the G37, I got to drive the G-Coupe 6MT first.

Oh, and I learned this morning that only the S gets the VLSD rear end. Dammit.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:30 AM
SomeName
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I just looked on Cars.com. There's an Ftype S 6mt coupe164 miles away. Looks like dead center of PA. Its even white. 3 day weekend coming up.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G