Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 08:16 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by hexotic
not afraid more snow lol? Im right above you, across the lake, and I think we might still get a few cm this week. Anyways, she's a beauty
+1 on that. John, you really do keep your G in fine shape. Really. It looks new.

Particularly with some of the agressive conditions you face.

Sean
Old 04-10-2016, 08:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Originally Posted by hexotic
not afraid more snow lol? Im right above you, across the lake, and I think we might still get a few cm this week. Anyways, she's a beauty
Nope. Today is the last day of sub-freezing temps. Not worried.

Originally Posted by VIVID
+1 on that. John, you really do keep your G in fine shape. Really. It looks new.
Thanks, Sean. However, it's super dirty, and only half of it has been clayed and waxed over the last few weeks.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:52 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Snows, duckfeet and winter spacers came off the car today. All is right with the world again.

Car is dirty, but man oh man are the wheels clean.

Looks pretty darn clean to me! One of the perks to having a white car.... seems to show dirt WAY less than my black car.

Car looks great, btw! Congrats on having your Summer shoes back on!
Old 04-13-2016, 08:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
Looks pretty darn clean to me! One of the perks to having a white car.... seems to show dirt WAY less than my black car.

Car looks great, btw! Congrats on having your Summer shoes back on!
From a distance, that's true. And the camera is very forgiving.

I've been claybar'ing and waxing sections of the car one at a time over the last few weeks. Doing it all at once would be a full weekend project. This way, I can slip out to the garage and do it piecemeal.
  • Hood
  • Roof
  • Trunk
  • Front bumper skin
  • Rear bumper skin
  • Front fenders
  • Rear Fenders
  • Four Doors
  • Side Sills

At this point, I've got the four doors remaining. Not bad progress, considering the stupidly low temps of late.

Turns out I have two dings, one small depression on each rear fender. You really have to look for it to see them. Probably have a PDR guy fix that this year. And it seems I have one big nick in the paint on the roof, just a few inches from the glass. It's more than a nick, too. If you look at it at the right angle, seems to have very slightly impacted the sheet metal. Not sure what I can do about that except take it to a body shop and spend hundreds of dollars on something so inconsequential. IDK... have to live with it for a while first.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Motor Mounts?

Found this comment that I wrote a month ago, and transplanting it here for, um... personal motivation.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...ts-p-5587.html

Pros:
  • It's a handling mod, because body roll is reduced when the engine is more connected to the frame.
  • It's a power mod, because energy previously wasted tossing the engine around is now being transmitted through the drive-train.
  • It's a transmission mod, because shifts will be smoother with less movement.
  • It's a driving mod, because throttle response will be significantly improved.
  • It's an ego mod, because the added NVH turns your sedan into a racecar.
  • It's an economical mod, because at $200, plus relatively easy installation for a mechanic, the price is right.
Cons:
  • NVH that you can't turn off. However... you might actually like it.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:20 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
but why no front chin?!?!???
Old 04-15-2016, 02:34 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Goonz
but why no front chin?!?!???
I go back & forth on whether or not I like the chin. But it doesn't matter, because driveway.

I could pull out nose first, but doubt I could pull it in without scraping. Heck, I scrape a good number of times as it is.

Old 04-15-2016, 02:39 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Old 04-15-2016, 02:45 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

I go back & forth on whether or not I like the chin. But it doesn't matter, because driveway.

I could pull out nose first, but doubt I could pull it in without scraping. Heck, I scrape a good number of times as it is.
Great video!! But holy Moses!!! You lift your right rear wheel turning up your drive???? WOW!!!

Sean
Old 04-15-2016, 02:49 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by VIVID
Great video!! But holy Moses!!! You lift your right rear wheel turning up your drive???? WOW!!!

Sean
Yep. Every single time.

You get used to it, Sean. There's an optimal speed to coast into the driveway from the road, hitting my driveway at a flat angle, and then turning right away. If I go too slow and one wheel lifts, then traction control goes nuts. If I go too fast then the car kind of bounces, and that's not cool either. It takes some practice, and even though I've been doing it for 4 years now, I still screw it up from time to time. For example, that third part of the video when I was going up the driveway... that wasn't so good.

Honestly, it's easier in the winter. A few inches of plowed snow and ice tend to flatten out the hump a little.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:02 PM
NickyP

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
you shoulda slow-mo'd when the rear passenger lifted, and added some Micheal Bay explosions.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:03 PM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Yep. Every single time.

You get used to it, Sean. There's an optimal speed to coast into the driveway from the road, hitting my driveway at a flat angle, and then turning right away. If I go too slow and one wheel lifts, then traction control goes nuts. If I go too fast then the car kind of bounces, and that's not cool either. It takes some practice, and even though I've been doing it for 4 years now, I still screw it up from time to time. For example, that third part of the video when I was going up the driveway... that wasn't so good.

Honestly, it's easier in the winter. A few inches of plowed snow and ice tend to flatten out the hump a little.
So I completely get it now!

Whether you like the lip or not, there's no entertaining the idea, so you just let it go...smart. Because if you did get one, you wouldn't own it for long. No disrespect for your driving at all...watching you navigate your drive, at that speed, was pretty cool.

Sean
Old 04-15-2016, 04:22 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 560 Likes on 390 Posts
Thank this post if you paused Rochester's video to see the man behind the name! I did, lol.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:25 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryne
Thank this post if you paused Rochester's video to see the man behind the name! I did, lol.

Stop trying to build your thanks count Ryne it's not cute Who do you think you are...me? Lmao

Rochester the car is absolutely gorgeous man
Old 04-15-2016, 04:26 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Wow, your driveway sucks! It looks like you have quite a bit more room under your front bumper when you pull in rather than pull out. So maybe you would be ok pulling in and backing out, but good lord don't ever drive face first out the driveway. Wow, was that close!

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G