Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 11:24 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Lol guys^^^
I even cut the tip of my nose when putting those test pipes in last week, clipped it on that braided flex pipe (which is shredded) on the Y
Old 03-23-2016, 11:56 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by lobuzz311
Lol! Seriously. I feel like I'm always coming in to get a bandaid when I'm working on the car. And it's always from stupid things when I take my gloves off to get better feel.
"It's not a car project till I'm bleeding."
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I've had to ask my wife, on more than one occasion "hey honey, can you try and wrap this duct tape tighter so the bleeding stops"
Originally Posted by blnewt
Lol guys^^^
I even cut the tip of my nose when putting those test pipes in last week, clipped it on that braided flex pipe (which is shredded) on the Y
That is hilarious, sorry....but it is!!!

I thought it was just me and my oversized non-asian hands (thanks to PG-v36_6MT for that one).

I have a box of band-aids in the garage. This isn't my first DIY rodeo, but I swear Nissan makes things extra sharp just to justify a dealership intervention.

Sean

Last edited by VIVID; 03-27-2016 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-23-2016, 04:04 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I'm researching right now how to drain & fill the diff gear oil.

However, I will not be installing the STS myself... for all kinds of reasons, including the same-time install of the Z1 Transmission Mount, but not to dismiss a very irrational (but real) fear of being underneath my car. Oil changes are about as brave as I can be. (Or cowardly, LOL.)
Understandable! I am uncomfortable as well, espcially when having to break a nut loose. Always hope and pray it doesn't fall lol.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Except the dust boot on the underside. Or maybe it was just me. I cut my hand all up getting that back on. And you need to get the car pretty high so you can fit under what is essentially the center console area. But yeah, it's not bad. A little harder than changing your oil. Most of the work is done inside the car.
Odd, I don't rememebr there being any sharp parts there. But I will admit that was the hardest part of the install.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:58 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Originally Posted by NickyP

Don't you know you aren't allowed to work on a car without cutting your hand. You are supposed to do it even with the relatively mundane things like changing the battery or oil.

This is so true! I always keep a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and liquid skin/super glue in my garage for such occasions.

I'm researching right now how to drain & fill the diff gear oil.

However, I will not be installing the STS myself... for all kinds of reasons, including the same-time install of the Z1 Transmission Mount, but not to dismiss a very irrational (but real) fear of being underneath my car. Oil changes are about as brave as I can be. (Or cowardly, LOL.)

I can understand this, but trust me, you do get used to it. Every weekend I basically live in the garage under one my cars. I just love being under there... It's one of two places I've found that my wife can't or won't nag me. Just make sure you have a set of decent/high-quality jack stands... I never get under the car when it is held up by just a jack or ramps. And, of course, I always hope and pray that we don't have a big earth quake while I'm under there.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:06 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

I'm 52 years old, without the necessary tools, experience or facilities conducive to a project like this.

If I had just a nudge into the right direction, like a friend with all the above, then absolutely much of this stuff would be hands-on projects. But that just isn't the situation, so my mechanic will be doing the work.

Thanks for the diff fluid advice, though.

I'm not far behind you! Although I've been working on cars for over 30 years and was lucky enough to learn from my Dad. I agree, it would definitely help if you had someone nearby that could help/assist you with the install and that you could learn from. There's never anything wrong with paying a professional! Wait, that didn't come out right... but you know what I mean.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (03-24-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 02:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Well, wouldn't you know it, that 2mm made all the difference. I couldn't get the rim back on flush to the adapter face because of them. So (long story about to end, LOL), I used 2 of the half-height lugnuts...

...and stripped one of them torquing it down. It's all my fault, because I used a socket extension that was too long, and should have used a shorty. So I'm just hoping I can get it off next Spring. If I can't, I'll have to go to a shop and have them fix it.
...which is exactly what I had to do today, four months later. My mechanic just removed the half-height lugnut that I ruined last Fall.

(sigh)

As for that 2mm difference... IDK why I didn't think of this before, but a couple of minutes with the grinding wheel, and problem solved.

Here are the lessons learned: the half-height lug nuts that comes with spacer adapters are crap, and no matter how careful you are with them, they're really only intended for single use. If you plan on removing and re-installing your wheel spacer adapters every year (like my situation), then these are *NOT* the lugnuts to use. If you are using wheels that have sculpted space between the lug-holes, then strongly consider using a cheap, spline-drive lug nut.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-31-2016 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:29 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,272 Posts
I'm in LOVE with your engine bay man! So freakin clean!
Old 03-31-2016, 12:29 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by kennyz424
I'm in LOVE with your engine bay man! So freakin clean!
+1 on this.

His engine bay inspired me to paint my engine cover... but I failed at that

All good though, you live and learn. I've moved my engine bay detailing to the bottom of my mod list.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:21 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

...which is exactly what I had to do today, four months later. My mechanic just removed the half-height lugnut that I ruined last Fall.

(sigh)

As for that 2mm difference... IDK why I didn't think of this before, but a couple of minutes with the grinding wheel, and problem solved.

Here are the lessons learned: the half-height lug nuts that comes with spacer adapters are crap, and no matter how careful you are with them, they're really only intended for single use. If you plan on removing and re-installing your wheel spacer adapters every year (like my situation), then these are *NOT* the lugnuts to use. If you are using wheels that have sculpted space between the lug-holes, then strongly consider using a cheap, spline-drive lug nut.
Good advice! I eventually got tired of being overly cautious with the bolt on spacers and finally a few years back just took an afternoon and installed 15-20mm longer studs on the front. Now I can easily just pull off the spacers and/or change between different wheel spacers.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:38 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I was reviewing my car records today, wondering how I should feel about the money spent and the value proposition.

Bought the car 4+ years ago for $32K + tax, $10K cash down and a 5 year note on the balance that I still have 9 more payments to go. The car had less than 4K miles when new to me, and has less than 29K miles now. All told, I've spent $15,000 in mods, which includes everything... tires, wheels, repairs, oil, parts, installs, etc. But not things like gas or insurance or monthly payments.

So, $15K in fun money over four years?

Feels about right. IDK if my wife would agree, but still.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-07-2016 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:10 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 340 Likes on 234 Posts
I was reviewing my car records today, wondering how I should feel about the money spent and the value proposition.

Bought the car 4+ years ago for $32K + tax, $10K cash down and a 5 year note on the balance that I still have 9 more payments to go. The car had less than 4K miles when new to me, and has less than 29K miles now. All told, I've spent $15,000 in mods, which includes everything... tires, wheels, repairs, oil, parts, installs, etc. But not things like gas or insurance or monthly payments.

32k? Seems like you got a pretty good deal when you bought the car. I paid 21k, with $11,000 down and a 1.9% interest rate. I still have ~7k left. Hoping to have it paid off before the end of 2017.

I've only spent $4,100 in fun parts so far.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:22 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts

I would feel very comfortable with those numbers. As a matter of fact, it makes me much more comfortable with my numbers as well. I thought I was a bit nuts, but it seems I'm just 'one of the gang'.

Thanks for that - Sean
Old 04-08-2016, 06:19 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Pretty cool exercise you did there. That amount seems very reasonable to me! I have pretty much every receipt for my G from the past 7-1/2 years of ownership. They are all kept in one file (that is well hidden from my wife) . I've thought about doing what you just did.. going through the file and adding everything up... but I'm afraid to find out how much I've really put into the car.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Snows, duckfeet and winter spacers came off the car today. All is right with the world again.

Car is dirty, but man oh man are the wheels clean.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-10-2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:09 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 588 Likes on 393 Posts
not afraid more snow lol? Im right above you, across the lake, and I think we might still get a few cm this week. Anyways, she's a beauty

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G