Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 04:07 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
That's quite a testimonial. Did your TWM have to wear-in, the way 4DRZ's B&M did?
I'm not sure what they mean by break in. I toqured my shifter to the shifting links (I think that's what they are called) according to TWM's instructions. Shifter felt like it was a factory installed item (good thing). About 4 weeks after the install my slave cylinder failed, and the dealer had to remove the shifter. A week after I got the car back I heard a clunk and the car was stuck in gear. Turns out the tech didn't properly torque the bolt connecting connections the shifter to the linkage. Got a free oil change out of it that I need to redeam here soon lol. Anyway, got the car back and the tech had over torqued the connecting bolt. You had to really make a concious effort to switch gears. I almost took it back, but the dealer is 25+ min away from me. Things ended up loosening up and now it is back to a proper shifter.

Sorry for the long winded explanation. Just trying to provide you with the info and you develope an opinion!
Old 03-19-2016, 08:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,711 Likes on 3,519 Posts
Thanks for the STS input, guys.

Do either of you have an opinion about this question?

My car is a 2011, with 29K miles on it, and the original differential gear-oil. I have two quarts of Red Line 75W90 ready to go, but intended to use them with a 4.083 gear upgrade that I've since moved to next year. (sad) Do you think I should go ahead and swap the oil this Spring anyway, in keeping with the recommended 30K interval? Or can I wait another year and another 5k miles? Or is it the time elapsed that's really the determining factor, like brake fluid? The gear oil was $33 shipped from Amazon, and I figure my mechanic would want $50, because I'm not going to DIY the fluid swap.

So should I put it off, or do it this year anyway?
Old 03-21-2016, 01:56 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
That second thing.

In big rounded numbers, $200/month for 3 months: Mount + STS + Install.

Figured so. I know how it is to mod on a budget. Back in the early 90's I was heavy into the import drag racing thing and had to work on modifying my Eclipse GSX while paying my way through college all on a Tire Store Manager's salary. Thankfully I was able to supplement my income by rebuilding trannies, doing clutch installs, and other miscellaneous work for my fellow racers.

I have a possible partial solution for you... Why not wait a month until you can purchase your STS and then do the install yourself? That would save you a couple hundred dollars and also knock a month off your target install date... I understand some people are not comfortable doing their own work, so this is just a thought. Either way, car's looking great and good luck with the new mods!
Old 03-21-2016, 02:22 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Thanks for the STS input, guys.

Do either of you have an opinion about this question?
Quote:
My car is a 2011, with 29K miles on it, and the original differential gear-oil. I have two quarts of Red Line 75W90 ready to go, but intended to use them with a 4.083 gear upgrade that I've since moved to next year. (sad) Do you think I should go ahead and swap the oil this Spring anyway, in keeping with the recommended 30K interval? Or can I wait another year and another 5k miles? Or is it the time elapsed that's really the determining factor, like brake fluid? The gear oil was $33 shipped from Amazon, and I figure my mechanic would want $50, because I'm not going to DIY the fluid swap.

Since no one else has offered their feedback on this question I figured I'd offer my input. What you need to keep in mind is that those dealer recommended service intervals are just that, "recommended". While brake fluid is much more susceptible to moisture absorption, which happens over time and actually varies based on DOT type (Fun Fact: DOT 4 fluid absorbs moisture faster than DOT 3). The breakdown of gear oil isn't an exact science. There are many factors to consider like how you drive the car, do you track it, and has the fluid been overheated on multiple occasions. I personally do not drive my G very hard and didn't feel the need to change my diff fluid right at the 30K interval. I actually waited until around 40K before doing it and it still looked very good. On the other hand, I change the gear oil in my Jeep every 10K miles because I rock crawl it a couple of weekends a months which puts excess strain on the pinion/ring gear contact point and is very hard on the entire drivetrain.

The only caveat I will throw in there is that the initial couple thousand miles is the break-in period for the factory gears, so more wear is going to occur on the ring and pinion gears as well as the bearings during this time while the gears mate and bearings get seated. So the original fluid will probably have a little more "sludge" in it due to this extra initial wear. For my Jeep, after I changed the gears I changed the fluid out after the first 1K miles of break-in. I simply used cheaper fluid when doing the gear change knowing that I would be changing it after 1K miles anyway. So, if you are still concerned about waiting another year (5K miles), maybe you might want to consider just doing a quick gear oil change using a basic Valvoline gear oil for now and then use your Red Line fluid when you swap gears next year... Just a suggestion.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 02:58 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
I have a possible partial solution for you... Why not wait a month until you can purchase your STS and then do the install yourself?
I'm 52 years old, without the necessary tools, experience or facilities conducive to a project like this.

If I had just a nudge into the right direction, like a friend with all the above, then absolutely much of this stuff would be hands-on projects. But that just isn't the situation, so my mechanic will be doing the work.

Thanks for the diff fluid advice, though.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:57 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
The new LED lights are OK. Neither awesome nor worse than I had, just slightly better, IMO. That's probably because I like having amber tint on the lenses, and the tint really changes the quality of the light.
I don't like mine at all, they look cool, thats the only thing going well for it but its function is poor. There is no smooth output on the road as the lights seem to be reflecting all over the place. I felt the stock halogens had a smother output on the road. I don't gain anything by have these LED's in terms of light output at night that I didn't already have with the stock halogens.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:45 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 514 Likes on 442 Posts

I don't think it makes a big difference, and I bet most people don't change it regularly. It's not like brake fluid in that it absorbs water.

Why not DIY it? You change your own oil. Same thing. Actually, easier, you'll have more room to more around with the back up on ramps, and there is no filter
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 09:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I don't think it makes a big difference, and I bet most people don't change it regularly. It's not like brake fluid in that it absorbs water.

Why not DIY it? You change your own oil. Same thing. Actually, easier, you'll have more room to more around with the back up on ramps, and there is no filter
You know, I think you're right on both points, Lego. Just today I had the back end up on ramps so that I could do a proper Springtime polish on the mufflers and tips. I should DIY this.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:09 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
You know, I think you're right on both points, Lego. Just today I had the back end up on ramps so that I could do a proper Springtime polish on the mufflers and tips. I should DIY this.
Putting the back of the car up on ramps is harder than the fluid change, just do it my friend, easy cheesy
Old 03-22-2016, 09:33 PM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
The shifter install is super easy as well
Old 03-23-2016, 06:51 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jonesmeister11
The shifter install is super easy as well
Except the dust boot on the underside. Or maybe it was just me. I cut my hand all up getting that back on. And you need to get the car pretty high so you can fit under what is essentially the center console area. But yeah, it's not bad. A little harder than changing your oil. Most of the work is done inside the car.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:25 AM
NickyP

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I cut my hand all up getting that back on.

Don't you know you aren't allowed to work on a car without cutting your hand. You are supposed to do it even with the relatively mundane things like changing the battery or oil.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:31 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I'm researching right now how to drain & fill the diff gear oil.

However, I will not be installing the STS myself... for all kinds of reasons, including the same-time install of the Z1 Transmission Mount, but not to dismiss a very irrational (but real) fear of being underneath my car. Oil changes are about as brave as I can be. (Or cowardly, LOL.)
Old 03-23-2016, 09:03 AM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
Except the dust boot on the underside. Or maybe it was just me. I cut my hand all up getting that back on. And you need to get the car pretty high so you can fit under what is essentially the center console area. But yeah, it's not bad. A little harder than changing your oil. Most of the work is done inside the car.
Yeah, that boot was a PITA. Surprisingly so.

Originally Posted by NickyP

Don't you know you aren't allowed to work on a car without cutting your hand. You are supposed to do it even with the relatively mundane things like changing the battery or oil.
Lol! Seriously. I feel like I'm always coming in to get a bandaid when I'm working on the car. And it's always from stupid things when I take my gloves off to get better feel.
"It's not a car project till I'm bleeding."
Old 03-23-2016, 09:13 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NickyP

I've had to ask my wife, on more than one occasion "hey honey, can you try and wrap this duct tape tighter so the bleeding stops"

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G